6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2006 11:24 AM by the real POTMO

Feature Request

the real POTMO Level 1
      Ive been using director for som time now and i work with it at least eight hours a day.
      I think its the best game plugin on the net but there are still some flaws to be corrected.
      Dont you think that it would be great if Adobe took a firm grip of director and polished it a bit?

Lets let them know!

Things that i think could be better for the next version (if it comes one :O)

*Sound
      Id like to play at least eight simultanious channels with no latency. Its really bad now.

*3D
      It would be nice if Adobe added som new functions in shockwave 3d. Like more shaders. Better preformance. And for good sake add that Havok xtra again (and make it determenistic!!) I would kiss Dr. John E. Warnock feet if they fixed that.

*Real time filters.
      I really liked those real time filters in Flash. Cant you add them to director as well?

*UTF-8
      Why doesnt director support UTF-8? Its mad. Ive ripped my hair meny hours to get greek and Cyrillic chars in my movies.
      How much work can it be?

*1000+ sprite channels.
      Sometimes it would be nice to have more than 1000 sprite channels.

*Movie in a movie.
      That movie i a movie they added in 8.5 (or 8?). Could't they make it work. I think that it would be very useful it it only worked as expected.

Please complete the lits. I hope Adobe would like to know what they have to fix to keep us happy. (And i hope they read this)
        • 1. Re: Feature Request
          Level 7
          I want real Windows Controls (comboBoxes, etc) without having to pay big
          bucks for a 3rd party Xtra.

• 2. Re: Feature Request
            Level 7

> *Real time filters.
            > I really liked those real time filters in Flash. Cant you add them to director
            > as well?
            >
            You know, you can use any of the Flash 8 bitmap filters in Director
            using the latest version of the Flash Asset Xtra.

Here is a link to Alex da Franca's site with some source to play with.

http://www.farbflash.com/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/Dokumente/Director/Opensource/Imaging/blur.ht ml
            • 3. Re: Feature Request
              Level 7
              On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:35:30 GMT, the real POTMO posted in
              macromedia.director.lingo:

> Dont you think that it would be great if Adobe took a firm grip of
              > director and polished it a bit?

Yes.

[snip decent wish list]

> Please complete the lits. I hope Adobe would like to know what they
              > have to fix to keep us happy. (And i hope they read this)

I haven't noticed any recent evidence that they read these user-to-user
              forums/newsgroups.

If you haven't already, you might want to utilize the form they provide for
              feature requests. I know they read those.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=11

--
              Mark A. Boyd
              Keep-On-Learnin' :)
              • 4. Re: Feature Request
                the real POTMO Level 1
                >>You know, you can use any of the Flash 8 bitmap filters in Director
                >>using the latest version of the Flash Asset Xtra.

yes i know but still, flash is slow in shockwave so i prefer not to use flash in my shockwave projects.
                There is also one anoying thing with flash and that is that youll have to put the flash sprite on the stage and wait for at least one frame (sometimes more) before you can access the flashsprites properties. Bad I say.
                • 5. Re: Feature Request
                  Level 7
                  I agree that Flash inside of Shockwave can be a problem, but none of
                  that applies to using the Flash 8 bitmap filters. You do not need to
                  have a Flash sprite at all. You can, at runtime, use the Director
                  convert() method to convert the .image of a bitmap to a flash
                  #bitmapdata object, then do the filter, then convert() it back to a
                  Director #image. It does use the Flash 8 Xtra, but you don't have any
                  of the problems associated with Flash sprites. It is super-fast, too.
                  I've made real-time animated perlin noise maps, drop shadows that move
                  around (faking an animated light source), and all sorts of good things,
                  all without even needing a Flash member in the cast.
                  • 6. Re: Feature Request
                    the real POTMO Level 1
                    thats great Mike Blaustein. Nice tutorial.
                    So we got the real time filters.
                    One down, five to go.

But are all you people happy with director? Dont you want any new cool Features? Speak up!