4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2011 3:55 PM by GetA-fiX Branched from an earlier discussion.

tracking process takes a very very long time

GetA-fiX
      The tracking process takes a very very long time. Hours for a few minutes. AE becomes unstable and buggy. Has anyone else had this problem? Please Help!
      • System Information:

Processor: i7 930 @ 2.80 Ghz

RAM: 12.0 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470

S/W: Adobe Creative Suite CS5 Production Premier.

• 1. Re: tracking process takes a very very long time
          bogiesan Level 4

You really must give us some information to go on here. What video format are you trying to track? Which tracking system are you using?

bogiesan

• 2. Re: tracking process takes a very very long time
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            The tracking process takes a very very long time. Hours for a few minutes. AE becomes unstable and buggy.

Well, I concur with David - more info would help. On a hunch I would simply say your settings are wrong - too large search areas and things like tracking RGB and fields when there may be no need for it. This can easily make tracking times explode. Aside from that, if your piece, as you said yourself, is several minutes long, even the fastest tracker could require a few seconds per frame and 9000frames*2secs per frame for a five minute piece makes quite a bit of time.... Now of course the average time to load a frame will depend on factors like harddrive speed and compression of the footage and will many times be much lower than 2 seconds, but it could be perfectly normal to see this taking so long...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: tracking process takes a very very long time
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

I know AE 10 addressed the issue of rendering long-gop footage (e.g. DSLR, HDV, XDCam, FlipCam)....

but I'm unsure how it deals with TRACKING such footage,

If you use long-gop footage, what happens if you convert the shot in question to a lossless codec, then import it into AE?

• 4. Re: tracking process takes a very very long time
                GetA-fiX Level 1

Reducing the search box really sped things up.Thanks!!! I understand this

might take a while but is there any reason for AE to becomes sluggish during

the process i.e. buttons won't function, Menu drop downs won't work?

I am using After Effects CS5 to track and stabilize this 6 minute long

interview that is being edited in Premiere Pro (CS5). Sorry for the

incomplete information earlier. Here are some more detail of the

video/system:

Format: AVCHD

Format: .MTS - 1920 x 1080

Duration: 6 minutes

Project Drive: Rade 0

Media Drive: Raid 5

C Drive: WD Rapter

I have updated the driver for the GTX 470 and even tried fresh install for

AE. Thanks for your help.