14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2013 10:04 AM by PReinie

Adobe Reader X (10.0.1) corrupting character data/report content when printing

antsbull

Our software uses Adobe Reader to print PDF files, via a Java application that runs an exec command to invoke AcroRd32.exe.

This has been working fine for years without problems, however recently one of our client sites upgraded all their Windows machines to Adobe Reader X 10.0.1 from Adobe Reader 9.  Since the upgrade, the reports render to the screen fine for print previews, and the PDF files on disk are fine if you open them up - however printing them via the exec command to AcroRd32.exe causes the tables in the report (containing financial information) to be garbled.

The characters all seem to be shifting up one ASCII code.  That is, every "A" in the report becomes a "B", every "1" becomes a "2", and the "," character becomes a "-".  For example, the string "ABC" prints out on the report as "BCD", and the number "1,234.00" prints out as "2-345/11".

Nothing else has changed on the client PCs or their environment except for Adobe Reader being upgraded from 9 to X.  The PCs are running a fully patched Windows XP Professional o/s.  This is software that has been run for years on many client sites over many different versions of Windows and we have never had any of these sorts of problems.

Has anyone else had this problem, and are there any fixes to it? - it is a serious problem, and is happening at our largest client site, and to be honest it is extremely disappointing reading how many problems there are with Adobe Reader X is by looking through the forums on this site.  This problem may cause us to lose our clients and is damaging our professional reputation, so we are extremely unhappy.

Note that as this is occurring on our client site we are not able to go in and test "hacked" work-arounds like turning of protected mode - as that would look extremely unprofessional.

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader X (10.0.1) corrupting character data/report content when printing
          NZ Chris

Yes, I am getting a similar problem on Windows XP SP3 & Reader X.

I am rolling back to version 9

EDIT

Rollback to version 9 has fixed my problems. No issues found since

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader X (10.0.1) corrupting character data/report content when printing
            bfordz

We're experiencing the same issues but it doesn't seem to be restricted to Ad

obe Reader X. We have some users using Adobe Reader

9.x.

We're using WinXP pro Sp3; it occurs on different brands of Pc's and different brands and types of printers, HP deskjets, laserjets to Lexmark Laserjets and Kyocera Mita Laserjets.

It occurs trying to print from a pdf opened in IE or an attachment in an email. Reprinting the exact same document a second time will usually print OK. The time we've been able to duplicate the problem back to back is printing an email attachment by "Right clicking" the attachement and then clicking "print" at that point the whole document prints garbled.

Our other print outs; File > Print, usually start out OK but somewhere's down the page it prints garbled text, then reprinting will be OK. It doesn't happen all the time, just randemly.

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader X (10.0.1) corrupting character data/report content when printing
              Scott_Y

I'm having a similar problem. The PDF files are forms downloaded from IRS. I open them in Adobe Reader 10.0.0 and they display correctly. When printed, about half of the documents have all the characters shifted to the next alphanumberic character, for example: "a" printed as "b", "1" printed as "2", etc. Reprinting the same document usually results in the correct characters. Win XP3, printed to Canon Pixma mg5220.

There are many posts about similar problems -- involving various Windows versions, various Adobe products and versions, various printer manufacturers and models. Some users report an intermittent problem, some report a good print on the second attempt. This looks like an Adobe problem, and I'm surprised that it hasn't been solved or even addressed yet.

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader X (10.0.1) corrupting character data/report content when printing
                shilpi Aggarwal Adobe Employee

Hi,

Is this problem specific to PCL printers only? And, do you encounter this problem when printing a PDF via browser?

Thanks,

-Shilpi

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader X (10.0.1) corrupting character data/report content when printing
                  Neilwa

I upgraded from 9 to X and immediately found all my eBook print jobs to my Toshiba eStudio 3511 were a mess - if I tried to print 20 copies of each book it wanted to print 20 copies of page 1 on single sheets and no duplex. Some pages had no proper print other than an error message with a long code. It would not sort. I tried resetting the print dialogue prefs to no avail. So i gave up and reverted back to V9. Mind you, I've never been happy with V9 as the colour reproductions seem to change now and then for some reason (e.g. sometimes colours washed out or lack of detail in photographic images) - never thought 9 was as stable as updates prior to 9. BTW I still use Win XP Pro SP3.

• 7. Re: Adobe Reader X (10.0.1) corrupting character data/report content when printing
                    Scott_Y Level 1

No, this problem is not restricted to PCL printers only -- the posts

include a variety of printer brands and models.

• 8. Re: Adobe Reader X (10.0.1) corrupting character data/report content when printing
                      Atul Agarwal Adobe Employee

Dear users,

Thanks for reporting the problem.

Could you please answer the following questions in order to help us investigate this issue?

1) Is this issue specific to a particular pdf document? or does it occur with all pdf document?

2) Could you please share the pdf document at atulagar@adobe.com mentioning the forum link in the subject line of the e-mail?

3) what is the exact make of the printer on which this issue is reproducible?

4) Is this occuring with PS/PCL/GDI printer driver?

5) What is the system configuration?

Any other information which you believe should help us investigate.

Thanks,

Atul Agarwal

Adobe Systems

• 9. Re: Adobe Reader X (10.0.1) corrupting character data/report content when printing
                        Scott_Y Level 1

My reply earlier on this topic summarizes a number of the relevant

factors gleaned from the many reports of this error (Google something

like "garbled characters pdf" or "garbled print pdf") -- many of

which can be found elsewhere in this forum. And the problem appears

to have been reported for Adobe Reader 8, 9, and 10 as well as other

Adobe products.

Please note in my reply the specific nature of "garbled print" (and

also reported by others who took the time to analyze and describe the

error): characters are shifted up by one -- A prints as B, c prints

as d, 1 prints as 2, space prints as !, etc. Users often report that

a second attempt to print succeeds.

To answer your specific questions:

Garbled print can occur with various versions of Windows, and various

makes and models of printers, many of which are using standard

printer drivers (non-PS). The particular documents which misprinted

for me are various U.S. federal income tax forms for 2009, including

form 1040, schedule A, and others. I doubt the problem is specific to

a particular document, although there may be a common thread in how

the documents were created. However, an important point to note is

that the same documents also print correctly at times. This would

indicate that the source of the problem is NOT in the document itself.

I suspect the problem occurs when the pdf document is closed before

the print job begins. That would apply to the first post on this topic.

• 10. Re: Adobe Reader X (10.0.1) corrupting character data/report content when printing
                          Scott_Y Level 1

I should have added that the garbled print errors which I experienced

were all with documents printed directly from Adobe Reader, not from

within a web browser.

• 11. Re: Adobe Reader X (10.0.1) corrupting character data/report content when printing
                            dvellis

I realize a lot of time has passed, but we experience the same issue still.  It seems that when we close the PDF too quickly after printing we have this problem, but if we leave Adobe open long enough for the spooling to finish, then things print fine.

• 12. Re: Adobe Reader X (10.0.1) corrupting character data/report content when printing
                              Scott_Y Level 1

I agree that the cause of the problem seems to be closing the

document before the print job is finished.

• 13. Re: Adobe Reader X (10.0.1) corrupting character data/report content when printing
                                rory.haynie

I've found even though this issue was fixed as of Adobe 10.1.4. Unfortunately the issue is back in the latest Version of 11.0.02. We've had to roll back to version 10 because of this issue.

1) The unreadable characters happen for all PDFs when printing via the exec command.

2)ok.

3) On 2 Printers, a) Brother MFC665CW b) HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Premium

4)PS

5)Windows 7

• 14. Re: Adobe Reader X (10.0.1) corrupting character data/report content when printing
                                  PReinie

I have a user experiencing this with a Canon iP4500. Reinstalling the printer did not help.

The text all prints as the next adjacent alphabetic character.

The error occurs even when leaving the document open.

We're using XP Pro SP3 on Dell Latitude E6410 with BIOS A03.

Adobe Reader is X 10.1.0.

Images print fine, so using print-as-image will work okay.

The same document prints okay to other printers on other machines and to the same iP4500 on another computer (unknown Reader version, but XP, likely Home).

For what it's worth, a PDF file with the problem was created with app Adobe InDesign CS5 (7.0.4)

PDF Producer Adobe PDF Library 9.9.

PDF VErsion: 1.5

The document is 667,605 bytes big.

JEdit says it's encoded with Cp1252. It also show Macintosh was used for CS5 and Photoshop on this doc.

I couldn't find the text that prints garbled anywhere in the document, not NAPA or OBQB. Perhaps it was stripped out by JEdit due to the encoding.

I should have tried to print and include fonts when I had access to the user's machine.

Message was edited by: PReinie. Add more details about the PDF file.