3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2007 7:24 AM by Tiller

Preloading multiple JPEGs

Tiller
      I have a movie that acts as a slideshow; displaying about three images per page with the pictures fading on and off in different positions. It sounds rubbish but actually looks fairly good! Anyway, to keep the size of the movie down I've used external images but really they need to be preloaded to make everything more fluid.

Ideally the movie would start after loading the first three pictures with the others being loaded in the background. They're not particularly big (about 10k each) but the spilt second they do take to appear isn't ideal.

My question, therefore, is how to preload these images and then display them in each movie clip frame when required.

As with a lot of things in Flash (and purely though my lack of technical knowledge) it seems to be an extremely difficult process and I've found a few tutorials on the Internet that offer similar systems but none that fit the bill exactly.

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Preloading multiple JPEGs
          Greg Dove Level 4
          I've been working on this class (as2) based on David Stiller's original work on a MultiLoader (the link to it is in the page). It's not fully featured yet as I am adding additional functionality for error-handling and more detailed loading metrics. But it should allow you to do what you want. I'll provide an example later on. I can't do it now, sorry.

http://gregdove.web.googlepages.com/multiloaderclass-wip
          • 2. Re: Preloading multiple JPEGs
            Greg Dove Level 4
            Here's an example using the class above, just using some images from a google search.

When the 3rd image in the original sequence is loaded you will see the message
            the first 3 images have fully loaded in the output window.

You can also change the line
            myImagesLoader.loadClips(3); //this limits simultaneous loading to 3
            to
            myImagesLoader.loadClips(1); //this limits simultaneous loading to 1 to force sequential loading

Like I said its not completely finished but I believe its functional for what you want/need. I'll post updates when I give it more attention to finish the other features outlined in the comments.
            • 3. Re: Preloading multiple JPEGs
              Tiller Level 1
              Thank you very much for your help - I'll try that a bit later and get back to you.

Cheers,

Andy