8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2012 9:53 AM by pokiegump

Incomplete BD Burning

Ted Smith Level 3

Further to my previous problem with my TV player not playing a PE9 made BD disk, I examined the disk with Imgburm and it reports that the disk status is 'incomplete'. The M2ts file plays through to the last fadeout on my computer and in a Panasonic TV player but not in my Pioneer player.

This suggests that there IS something wrong with how the disk was burnt even though PE9 announced that the burn was successfull.

Is there some sort of 'finalalisation' process I have to follow after the burning is reported as having finished like there was with DVD's ?

The burner is capable of 8x but I used a 4x disk assumed PE9 would automatically select the appropriate speed. If this was a problem you would think the computer would not be able to play the disk either.

What do I do next?

This is the Ingburn report:-

HL-DT-ST BD-RE  BH10LS30 1.00 (ATA)
      Current Profile: BD-R

Disc Information:
      State of Last Session: Incomplete
      Erasable: No
      Sessions: 1
      Sectors: 11,826,176
      Size: 24,220,008,448 bytes
      Time: 2628:04:26 (MM:SS:FF)
      Supported Write Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x

TOC Information:
      Session 1... (LBA: 0)
      -> Track 01  (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 11826175)
      -> LeadOut  (LBA: 11826176)

Disc Definition Structure:
      ISA0 Size: 4,096 clustors - Full: No
      OSA0 Size: 8,192 clustors - Full: No
      Certified: No
      Scanned: No
      Manufacturers Name: HL-DT-ST
      Additional ID: BD-RE BH10LS30
      Serial Number: K9FA6255815

BD Disc Information:
      Disc ID: VERBAT-IMc-000
      Disc Type: BD-R
      Disc Size: 120mm
      Disc Class: 0
      Disc Version: 1
      Number of Layers: 1
      Layer Type: Writable
      DVD Layer Present: No
      CD Layer Present: No
      Channel Bit Length: 74.5nm (25GB Per Layer)
      Push-Pull Polarity: Positive
      Recorded Mark Polarity: HTL
      BCA Present: Yes
      Maximum Transfer Rate: Not Specified
      First PAA of Data Zone: 131,072
      Last PAA of Data Zone: 1,658,494

Performance (Write Speed):
      Descriptor 1...
      -> B0: 0x02, B1: 0x00, B2: 0x00, B3: 0x00
      -> EL: 11826175 (0x00B473FF)
      -> RS: 21,350 KB/s (4.9x) - WS: 8,991 KB/s (2x)
      Descriptor 2...
      -> RS: 21,350 KB/s (4.9x) - WS: 17,982 KB/s (4x)
      Descriptor 3...
      -> RS: 21,350 KB/s (4.9x) - WS: 26,973 KB/s (6x)
      Descriptor 4...
      -> RS: 21,350 KB/s (4.9x) - WS: 35,964 KB/s (8x)

Thanks in anticipation

• 1. Re: Incomplete BD Burning
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I don't know if Premiere Elements is smart enough to burn your disc at a reduced speed.

Does the disc play as it should when you play it in your computer? If it plays on your computer but not on your BluRay player, that would indicate that it's either a media problem (the disc was burned too quickly, for instance) or your disc player can't play home-burned discs well.

I don't know of any way to get around these problems using Premiere Elements. But you can do what many people on Muvipix.com do: You can supplement Premiere Elements with DVD Architect Studio, a $39 download from Sony.

DVD Architect Studio is a dedicated DVD and BluRay authoring program that's got all of these settings, a much deeper authoring system and a nearly flawless core. I usually do my editing in Premiere Elements and then use Share/Computer/MPEG 1440x1080 to create an M2T file -- then DVD Architect Studio takes it from there.

I've also written a book and created a series of tutorials for the product, if you'd like to know more about it.

It would certainly solve your problems -- assuming your disc player is truly capable of playing home-burned discs.

• 2. Re: Incomplete BD Burning
            Ted Smith Level 3

Thanks

The disk plays perfectly in my computer, also the disk file plays perfectly in Windows Media Player

Pioneer say the plasyer should definitely play home burnt disks.

But if Imgburn says the disk is incomplete then I suspect there is something PE9 is not doing right.

It reminds me of the way Real media player will not play the first half of a split file (.001). It looks for a full correct end before it will play anything.

On the other hand GOM player (and VLC sometimes) will play even a small scrap of a video file.  My disk reports as 'incomplete"

This suggesats that the fact that your player plays your PE9 disks does not guarantee that PE9 has burnt the disk OK. If your player at first looks for only the start then it could still play a file without a proper end.

Being in Australia, I am using 1900x1080i 50 frames.

Next I am going to try lifting the MT2S file off the disk and reburning it to a new disk using Imgburn. Anything special to look for here?

• 3. Re: Incomplete BD Burning

I'll be interested to hear your results, Ted.

Pioneer and, ironically, Sony were two brands of disc players that scored the lowest for playing home-burned discs for many years. But their current models are supposed to have improved greatly.

So I'll be eager to hear if your ImageBrn software creates a more compatible disc.

• 4. Re: Incomplete BD Burning
                Ted Smith Level 3

Thanks Steve for your interest,

My Pioneer is a current model and they assure me it will play burnt disks and AVCHD directly if they are burnt "correctly" to the BDMV/BDAV standard.

Could you (or anyone else) do me a favour before I waste another blank DBD disk?

Assuming you have an old Blue Ray disk that you burnt with PE9, could you look at it with ImgBurn or similar and see if it reports a status of  Completed or Unfinished like the report I previously posted in this thread?

As my burnt disk reports 'unfinished', is there any way of 'finishing' it?  Is it true that 'finalising ' is only necessary for a DVD and not Blue Ray?

Thanks Ted

• 5. Re: Incomplete BD Burning

I recommend you post this over at the Community Forum at http://Muvipix.com, Ted.

There are a number of people burning BluRays there, and you'll have the benefit of several of their responses.

• 6. Re: Incomplete BD Burning
                    pokiegump

Did you ever solve this issue?  I have the exact same issue.  I even tried version 10 trial of PRE.  Same result. I wanted to use IMGBurn to make ISO's of my home movies as a backup.  What I found was that PRE does, can I say "finalize" on a Sony BD=RE disc.  The "incomplete" issue seems to be with just my Memorex BD-R discs.  Mine are BD-R 25GB single layer 4X.  The dsics all play in my Sony Blu-ray player which is less than a year old.  I see nothing wrong.  Menus work and when I reach the end of the movie the player goes back to the Main Menu.  It must have something to do with PRE or why would a BD.RE work and a BD-R not work.  The BD-RE is a Sony disc 2X ver 2.1 25GB. So my issue remains, I need to create an ISO image from my BD-R's and IMGBurn will not do it because of the reported reason from IMGBurn - "State of last session: Incomplete".  Using my BD-RE disc, IMGBurn reports "State of last session: Complete".  Both discs were created using the same project with either PRE 9.0 or 10.0 Trial.  Same resutls.  Can someone help?

• 7. Re: Incomplete BD Burning
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

One potential problem that I see is the use of any Memorex blank media. That is about as bad as it gets. Memorex buys the cheapest discs that day, then just rebrand them. One might get a spindle with four different mfgr's. blank discs inside - some might work, but some might not. I would definitely test without those in the mix. Verbatim and Sony have proved to be good quality.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Incomplete BD Burning
                        pokiegump Level 1

Well after I wrote this a few minutes ago I tried one more thing and was successful.  It clearly points a finger directly at PRE 9 & 10.  I also have the DVDFab software I use to create copies of my existing home movies for relatives.  I took one of my "incomplete" BD-R's and ran it through DVDFab asking it to create a FULL DISC.  At the end it does display a "Finalizing" step.  The original BD-R created by PRE says "Incomplete".  The BD-R (same Memorex media as original) says "State of last session: Complete" in IMGBurn.  While this may not be what everyone wants to hear, it is true.  Now I realize everyone does not have DVDFab .  But it successfully read the "incomplete" PRE-creared Blu-ray disc and created a copy albeit now "complete".  I can now go ahead and make ISO's.  So for me this means I have to first burn to a BD-RE so as to not waste blank media, and after created it, copy to a BD-R.  With respect to your comment about Memorex.  I am sure no expert on quality.  But I am yet to have a problem buring to these BR-R's.  I have an Asus BW-12B1ST burner. Thank you Hunt for your help. I will consider Sony discs in the future. I hope they are readily avaialble.  My BD-RE is a Sony.