10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2011 7:16 AM by Tuffmann

CUDA and VRAM - how much do I need...?

Tuffmann

Hi there,

I hope this wasn't asked before, I didn't found anything useful...

As you may know, some graphiccards get more VRAM than others, even if there's the same chip. E.g., sometimes there are a 2GB and a 1GB Version, or something different.

Now, how much VRAM do I need, is for example 2GB much better than 1GB? I'm working with FullHD resolution most of the time, h.264 or DNxHD/Prores.

I read this: http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/07/maximum_dimensions_in_premiere.html

If I just work with FullHD, it seems that 1024MB are more than enough - or am I wrong? How much difference may be there if I have much more VRAM...?

Best Regards

• 1. Re: CUDA and VRAM - how much do I need...?
          Andy Urtu Level 1

Get a nVida GTX470 with at LEAST 1GB so Mercury GPU engine will run in Premiere.

Yes, with Premiere more VRAM is better 1.5GB or 2.GB is best.

• 2. Re: CUDA and VRAM - how much do I need...?
            Tuffmann Level 1

Hi there Andy,

thanks for you reply. Is there any kind of ressources where I can see how more VRAM effects the actual work?

I'm afraid of buying a card with much RAM but a worse GPU-Cooler or something else which won't speed my work up that much.... :/

Best Regards

• 3. Re: CUDA and VRAM - how much do I need...?
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Andy, do you have any real details for your "with Premiere more VRAM is better 1.5GB or 2.GB is best" if so I would sure like to understand..

• 4. Re: CUDA and VRAM - how much do I need...?
                Tuffmann Level 1

Hi there Bill,

I just wanted to look into the PPro Benchmark-Site to check something out just to see that you are the one making it

Sadly, I didn't get what I wanted; you don't have to list your VRAM, so you can't get any small info if maybe a 2GB nVidia GTX is better than a 1GB and so on.

I'm kinda confused now, as there are really no informations on how important the RAM is, everything depends on the CUDA-cores; but also, you can only use GPUs with 768MB+ when using the hack.

Isn't there any Adobe-Employee who can make things clear abozt that?

Best Regards

• 5. Re: CUDA and VRAM - how much do I need...?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Look here: http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/07/maximum_dimensions_in_premiere.html

When all VRAM is used up, PR falls back to software MPE without warning. This can lead to unexpected results, because the linear colorspace is no longer used, unless maximum render quality has been enabled. In some cases, depending on source material and timeline complexity, amount of VRAM can be important. For instance a 3 GB 580 can handle larger stills than the standard 580 with hardware MPE.

• 6. Re: CUDA and VRAM - how much do I need...?
                    Tuffmann Level 1

Hi Haarm,

interesting. I always have "maximum render quality" checked, I didn't know what it does, but it sounds good to me...

But if I'm doing Stills, I would use Photoshop - didn't I? I don't exacly know if I'm getting this wrong because I'm not native english, but I'm just working in FullHD.

I'm asking myself, how fast is the VRAM empty? I'm thinking about buying a GTX560Ti (fits perfectly into the budget), but don't know if I should buy a 2GB or 1GB version.

Right now, I'm owning a GTX275 with 1,7GB. Sadly, I can't measure the difference to a standard 800mb GTX275

Best Regards

• 7. Re: CUDA and VRAM - how much do I need...?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

If memory serves me correctly, the 275 uses DDR3, not the newer and more effective DDR5 of the 560. That makes a small difference, but is it worth the expenditure? The 275 is a perfectly good card, it may not be the fastest around, but you will - under normal circumstances - be hard pressed to notice a significant difference in performance. It depends a bit on the nature of your timelines and your workflow, but the bulk of hardware MPE gains is in rendering for preview, and one can wonder if that is worth the investment in a new 560 over the still functioning 275. If the 275 is on its last breath and may die shortly, the 560 is a good investment, but if the 275 is still going strong, the BFTB (Bang for the Buck) gain is probably negligent with standard workflows.

When the time comes to upgrade to a new video card, I would compromise between number of CUDA cores, amount of DDR-5 memory and warranty.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: CUDA and VRAM - how much do I need...?
                        Tuffmann Level 1

Hi there Harm,

so the only difference is in the VRAM, not in the Card itself? Isn't there some advantage in more/faster CUDA-Cores or the "generel faster card"?

My Workstation isn't only for PPro, so the Card has it's eligibility to buy. It's 250€ with 2GB, I woud aim for that, much quality for that money I think

A GTX570 is only a bit more money, but has only 1,2GB VRAM...

Best Regards

• 9. Re: CUDA and VRAM - how much do I need...?
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

The 560 with 2 GB would be my preferred choice, over the 570 with only 1.2 GB.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: CUDA and VRAM - how much do I need...?
                            Tuffmann Level 1

Hi there Harm,

I'm lucky for reading your post now - I just came home, with a nice new Case for my SR-2 and a Hainward GTX560Ti with 2GB...

Best Regards and thanks!