5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2011 7:43 PM by the_wine_snob

Elements 9 overlay

Jpakea

Hi ,

I am trying to create a circluar overlay in a still picture on the timeline of Premier Elements 9.  I have used the 16 point garbage matte to create a polygon, and this works, but it does not produce the smooth circular edge I would like.  Is this possible in Elements 9, and how is it done?

• 1. Re: Elements 9 overlay
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Is this a photograph you want to overlay on your video?

If so, you want to open the photo in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements and turn it into a layered PSD file. Once it's a layered file, you can delete everything around this oval shape and, if you save the file as a PSD, it will be saved with this deleted area as transparent.

When you bring it into Premiere Elements, this area around the oval will remain transparent.

I do show you how to do this, step-by-step, in my Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements 9 book, available on Amazon and at Muvipix.com.

• 2. Re: Elements 9 overlay
            Jpakea Level 1

Thank you Steve I will try this approach. When I was using Roxio Creator 2011 it was possible to crop to shapes other than a rectangle.  I was hoping to find a like effect in Premier Elements 9.  But guess not so will use your suggestion.

Thanks,

Jpakea

• 3. Re: Elements 9 overlay
              the_wine_snob Level 9

One can also create an oval Track Matte, and apply the Track Matte Keying, using that Matte.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Elements 9 overlay
                Jpakea Level 1

I have tried this method and after much experimenting I am coming close to

what I was looking for.  Both methods have merit and useful applications.  I

have found that with multiple effects  you can create some interesting

effects.

Thanks for your suggestion and help,

Jim

• 5. Re: Elements 9 overlay
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Initally, Track Matte Keying is not the easiest concept to grasp, and one needs to do things in the right order, but it offers so very much control, that it is a favorite method of mine.

Another option, and not sure if anyone mentioned it, would be to do the vignette in PS with a transparent Background, Save_As PSD, and Import that into PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt