16 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2011 10:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Imported Still is Blury, Prem Elements 9

m_e_g

I'm a complete novice when it comes to Premeire, so forgive me. I am very familiar with Photoshop CS4, but I'm using Photoshop Elements 9, which is not as similar to CS4 as I expected.

I'm trying to import an image of text for a title screen rather than using the Prem 9 templates. The images I import come in blury. I have created a photoshop doc using the NTSC DV preset, but that doesn't help. The img files are 720x480, just like my video. Resolution 72 or 300...it doesn't matter, clarity is still bad. I've also tried saving it as .jpeg, .bmp, and .psd with no difference. I'm thinking it's possible it could be the fact that the film is intended to be viewed on a TV screen, but here's why I think that's not the case:

I have film footage of a "title screen", i.e. text printed on a paper held in front of the camera. That text comes in clear enough, but the lighting quality is poor and the printout is not straight. If I capture a frame from this image and edit it's brightness/contrast and levels in photoshop, and then import it back into Prem, it becomes blurry.

Also, I would hope the film could look just as clear regardless of how it was viewed, meaning both TV Screen and Computer Monitor. I'm not sure if there's a setting in premiere that, for editing purposes, shows the film in a low quality preview format or what the issue is. It just doesn't seem like it should be blury.

Again, very new to premiere, so I apologize for being slow.

• 1. Re: Imported Still is Blury, Prem Elements 9
          nealeh Level 5
          • Ensure that you are viewing at '100%' and not 'Fit'. Check this by right-clicking the monitor pane and checking magnification.
          • If you have a redline on your timeline above your image then press [Enter] - this will perform a render and give you a better feel for the finished article.
          • In addition to the Titles PRE also has a text editor. Exactly what are you trying to achieve that cannot be done in that editor?

1.png

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Imported Still is Blury, Prem Elements 9
            m_e_g Level 1

Thank you for the tips, Nealeh!

There was a redline, but rendering didn't seem to improve image quality. I changed the magnification to 100%, though, which greatly improved the image. Still, not perfect. I also changed the quality from automatic to highest which helped. I didn't even know there was a right-click menu.

I hadn't used the text editor because it still came across blury. I only have a raster program: photoshop, but could vector text be used?

This is a million times better, but just not as crisp as I'd like.

• 3. Re: Imported Still is Blury, Prem Elements 9
              nealeh Level 5

One other thing to check is that, in Windows, your screen size matches the native resolution of your monitor. For example if your monitor has 1920 x 1080 pixels, then ensure the Windows display settings are also 1920x1080. If your settings are at, say,1024 x 768, then Windows will be scaling your preview down to that size.

I also suggest that you add some text with PREs text tool and then burn your project to a DVD-RW and play it on your TV with a stand-alone DVD player. Ultimately that is by far the best test.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Imported Still is Blury, Prem Elements 9
                m_e_g Level 1

Great suggestions. I was hesitent to make a test DVD just because I'm so early in the project it seemed silly, but I'm sure it will be much clearer than I can see on the computer. Thanks!

• 5. Re: Imported Still is Blury, Prem Elements 9
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I only have a raster program: photoshop, but could vector text be used?

Video is only Raster. Even if you start with Vector Art, that will have to be Rasterized - like the Type in PS, which is then Rasterized. When I use Vector Art, say from Illustrator, I will take it into PS to do the Rasterization, as PS does a much better job, than will PrE, or even PrPro.

As for DPI/PPI, they are meaningless for Video, and are only for display on a computer monitor, say with a Web page, or with printing. That is why the 72 PPI, which is just general setting. If you did 72 PPI, or 1200 PPI, the Video image would be the same.

Now, with Type, and Video, there are some considerations, and this ARTICLE will cover some of those. When I went from advertising photography, used for high-quality mechanical printing to Web sites, I thought that the compromises were almost too great to work with. Then, when I went to Video, I realized that the limitations there were even greater, than with Web pages. With print work, I used many of my 19,000 fonts. With Web work, I limited that to about 500. With Video, I use about 100 fonts, and found that Bold and Black fonts were my "friends." San-serif is also the go-to font choice, as the serifs can go very, very soft, or can flicker horribly.

For just Text Titles, I find the Titler, and a good choice of font, plus size, work quite well. Now, I do a lot of my intricate Titles in PS, but the main reason is that I can create Layers of Type, and then animate those independently, in PrPro (PrE does not allow one to Import Layered PSD's as Sequences, for that purpose). For simple Titles, Titler is worth investigating carefully.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Imported Still is Blury, Prem Elements 9
                    m_e_g Level 1

That link was broken, but regardless, this is very helpful information. I didn't know any of that about working with video, but it all makes sense. From these suggestions, I think I'll just use the Titler. Thank you!

• 7. Re: Imported Still is Blury, Prem Elements 9
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I would guess that it's an issue with your browser, as it worked fine for me with Chrome and IE7. Here is the link, that you should be able to Copy/Paste into your browser: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hodgetts_philip/titles.php

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Imported Still is Blury, Prem Elements 9
                        m_e_g Level 1

I'm leaning more towards using the Titler, but as I mentioned, I am completely new to Premiere. No one has taught me how to use it, I have no book to read, I just installed the program and- GO. All I want is a white background, with large Times New Roman Font title. But this has proven more difficult than I would like. What's the trick!?

Also, this might be a question for another thread, but how can I add "clip art" animation elements on top of the live action film clips I have?

Thanks so much!

• 9. Re: Imported Still is Blury, Prem Elements 9
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, before I comment on the mechanics, exactly how do you wish to use this Title with the white background, and the black, or colored, Text?

The mechanics could differ.

In general usage, one can create a Title (in Titler), and create a Shape. This can be with a white Fill, and either no Stroke, or white Stroke. Size as necessary, from say a Lower-third, or can take up the entire Frame Size. Then, just add the Text, and adjust it, as is necessary. If, for instance, you want a font with a colored Fill, and then a different colored Stroke, just choose a Style that has both a Fill & Storke, and adjust, as is necessary.

One could also do similar in PS/PSE, and then Save_As PSD, Import that into PrE and use that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Imported Still is Blury, Prem Elements 9
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is an example of a Title over a colored Shape, with Times New Roman (even with one letter of a different color), plus a graphic element. This was easily created in PrE 4.0's Titler:

PrE_Title_Color_Shape.png

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Imported Still is Blury, Prem Elements 9
                              m_e_g Level 1

Very helpful, thank you! That example is like what I am looking for. I tried all those steps the other night, briefly, but the operations weren't cooperating, I think because of my old computer it was just slow. Would a PSD file be less clear or about the same?

Thanks!

Also, not to bother too much, but this film will be used commercially on a small scale. I don't want it to look like one of those awful films that end up on YouTube for such poor editing. Any tips or pointers?

• 12. Re: Imported Still is Blury, Prem Elements 9
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

The use of a PSD will be virtually indistinguishable from the output using Titler. Now, I probably use PS and PSD's a bit more, but part of that is because PrPro will Import Layered PSD's, and then I can animate each Layer independently. To do the same with Titler would require a separate Title per line, or element. PS also offers me a few more controls, and for even more, like Glyphs in my fonts, I use Adobe Illustrator for that sort of control, and just Place the AI Vector Art into PS, Save_As PSD and then Import that into my video editing program.

For most simple Titles, however, I just use Titler, as it is really quite powerful. Wish that there was a spellchecking plug-in for it (and for PS, as well).

As for the second question:

The most common issues that I see are, and in no particular order:

• Where the director/producer/cinematoghrapher/editor looses track of the story, and falls in love with footage, that does not further that story.
                                • The overuse of Transitions, especially more graphically intricate ones. I use the simple Butt-Cuts, Cross-Dissolves (usually indicating a change in time, and/or place) and Dip-to-Black (usually indicating a greater change in time, and/or place).
                                • Shots that are too long, and could benefit from being tightened greatly.
                                • Using a single long shot, where cut-aways, or changes in angles would improve the pacing of the story greatly.
                                • Not establishing the "stage" and not giving enough visual info.
                                • Giving too much visual info and for too long - tight shots can improve the story-telling.
                                • Over-use of zooms.
                                • Under-use of interesting angles and POV.
                                • Music/Audio that does not contribute to the story, or is just inappropriate.
                                • Lack of the use of a tripod, or camera stabilization, unless hand-held is part of the pacing, mood or part of the story.
                                • Effects that might be neat by themselves, but do not improve the story.
                                • Lack of continuity.
                                • Total lack of a story.

That's probably just the "short-list."

I think that one can learn a lot, by just studying the work of great directors and cinematographers. The work of Hitchcock, Kubrick, Peckinpaw, William Freidkin, John Ford, Sergio Leone, Peter Jackson, Coppola, et al, is a great place to start. Those folk created special films, have much to teach one.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Imported Still is Blury, Prem Elements 9
                                  Ted Smith Level 3

You can make sharp large text in any font that is in your computer easily in PE9's titler.

Also you get a large range of fonts with multiple colours, shapes and feathered edges.

I originally started with PE2 some years ago and titles were always a bit fuzzy but with PE9 they are completely sharp.

• 14. Re: Imported Still is Blury, Prem Elements 9
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

One of the biggest improvements in how Raster Text displays, has come with HD Projects. More usable pixels is the key. The DVD-spec. is very, very limited, and does not lead to really sharp Text. More consideration needed to be made in font selection, by going with a bolder (thicker) san-serif font, and also a larger font size. Little tricks like adding a thin Stroke, or even a complementary color Glow could make the Text look a bit sharper. Still, the DVD resolution was the killer.

One other area of improvement, that I have seen, is with the up-rezzing DVD/BD players. With their specialized up-rezzing chips, even old DVD's look noticeably better, when played on an HD TV. Never knew my DVD's could look so good!

I came from the print advertising arena, and Type was both important, and good-looking. Then, my clients started wanting material for the Web. I cried. The quality of the images, and Type went way, way down, and suddenly, I had lost so many of my colors, as everything had to be processed for Web-safe colors. I finally got over it, until I started doing Video. WOW, suddenly I was working in resolutions that were horribly low - this, just as computer monitors were going high-rez, and one was able to do better work for the Web. At least HD, and BD, finallly came about, and things improved again, but still so very far behind high-rez print advertising.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: Imported Still is Blury, Prem Elements 9
                                      m_e_g Level 1

It really does feel so limiting! But I'll just have to see how my first project turns out before I can get too critical. The idea of adding a stroke, should it be a darker stroke, lighter stroke, or same color stroke?

Great tips, thank you!

Megan

• 16. Re: Imported Still is Blury, Prem Elements 9
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The idea of adding a stroke, should it be a darker stroke, lighter stroke, or same color stroke?

For me, there is no set way to address this, or a Glow, for that matter. It will depend on the font, the font's color, the background, and some other considerations. I usually experiment and try to judge the results. Sometimes, a subtle little Glow will be just what I want. Same for a Drop-Shadow.

For Titles/Menus, this ARTICLE might also prove useful. There was another, with much more detail and some technical talk, but it seems to have disappeared from the Internet. Someone probably took down their servers, so all of the old URL's are now dead. Wish that I had made an HTML copy of that one, as I would have gladly hosted it.

Good luck,

Hunt