1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 4, 2011 1:29 AM by pauncho1

configuring two Raid 0 pairs

mnkamper

I am assembling a parts list for a system using the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3motherboard and five WD 1TB SATA 6Gb/s Black drives.  One drive will be my primary OS drive.  The other 4 will be configured into two raid0 pairs.  One pair will be used for my source media and the other pair will be used for export.  One drive (OS) will go on one of the two 6Gb/s ports (SATA3_0).  The other four will go on the four 3Gb/s ports (SATA2_2,3,4,5).  Can I configure two Raid 0 volumes on the Intel chipset controller?  I'm failing to find clear documentation on how this is done.  The other option would be to buy the UD7 motherboard and put one of thetwo raid 0 pairs on the Marvell chip, but I think that would be less desirable.

Thanks in advance for the help!

• 1. Re: configuring two Raid 0 pairs
          pauncho1

Can I configure two Raid 0 volumes on the Intel chipset controller?

Can't see how it would be a problem. My experience is with the UD7 board but they are pretty similar. 

I'm failing to find clear documentation on how this is done.

In short (and this is not a guide) set the controller to RAID in the BIOS, re-boot, pull up the RAID configuration menu and follow the instructions in the manual. Pages 83 to 85 describe the process quite well.

Don't worry about all the "do such and such before you install Windows" stuff unless you are planning a RAID operating system drive.