9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2012 3:12 PM by Brendan_ca

How to Change Adobe Id associated with my Sony eReader account?

sudha65

Hello,

Two years back, I bought a Nook reader and set it up on my computer with adobe id using my friend's email address (I did not know about DRM etc. at that time). Now, I bought a Sony ereader for myself and installed Sony Reader library software on my computer and apparently it associated that old adobe id (I did not realize that when I was setting my reader library and sony account) with my Sony eReader account. When my wife was opening the Sony ereader , it asked for the password for the adobe id (the old adobe id) . We did not know the implications, so we entered the password (we got it from our friend) for that old adobe id (which is my friend's email address).  It accepted the password (apparently my friend never did anything with that adobe id), but now I have two problems:

(1) My Reader is associated with my friend's email address (as the adobe id). I cannot continue to use that forever.

(2) My computer is Windows XP bought four years back and it is not reconginizing my sony ereader (says, USB deivce is not recognized).

For now, I want to solve the first problem: So, my question is,   How can I change the adobe id associated with my Sony eReader device (and our sony reader account) to my own Adobe Id?  And then, How can I have my own Adobe Id active on my computer?

Luckily, I haven't bought any books yet. But I want to get books from my library. Of course, the USB issue is something I need to find a solution for. But I might just buy another computer.

Really appreciate your help.

• 1. Re: How to Change Adobe Id associated with my Sony eReader account?
          rizwan.54 Level 1

Hi,

In order to fix the problem regarding Adobe ID you can follow the steps as suggested below.

1) Open Adobe Digital Editions and connect your Reader
             Press the keys Ctrl + Shift + E  on your keyboard.
             Now a Deauthorize screen will come up asking you to deauthorize your Reader.
             Follow the screen instructions and unauthorize the Reader.

Now Press the keys Ctrl + Shift + D  on your keyboard.
              Now a Deauthorize screen will come up asking you to deauthorize your Computer.
              Follow the screen instructions and unauthorize the computer.

Click Start>>Run and Type "Regedit" without quotes in the box
               A window will open with name Registry Editor
               Search for ADEPT in given location.
               HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Adobe>Adept
               Delete the full folder

Now open Digital Editions and it will ask you to authorize enter your New Adobe ID and password.

Now connect your Reader and it will again ask you to authorize enter your Adobe ID and password.

Please Note : Your Adobe ID and password which you are entering while authorizing your Reader should match with the ID which you are using with Adobe Digital Editions.

Now for your second problem that your Reader is not getting recognized by your computer I would suggest you to contact sony support in order to fix it. They might have some firmware update for your Reader.

I hope this will help you!!!

Regards

Rizwan

• 2. Re: How to Change Adobe Id associated with my Sony eReader account?
            Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Rizwan, I know you're trying to be helpful, but almost all of the people who

post messages here in the Forum do not have a clue as to what you're talking

about when you start messing with Windows software via the REGEDIT

facility.  It's difficult to use, and there are a large number of entries in

the registry.  Finding the one you want is a daunting task for those not

comfortable with software and its cryptic nature of abbreviations and so

on.  There's lots of chances for someone to do something that will cause

problems in areas you're not trying to fix.  Someone can find and delete the

folder 'ADEPT' using other tools, like Windows Explorer, without opening the

Registry.

The sequence of events is important also.  Users should plug in and activate

the ereader first, so that Windows has recognized it as a device, before

opening ADE because ADE looks for ereaders that are active when it

intitializes.  ADE may - or may not - recognize an ereader after it is

initialized.

===================

• 3. Re: How to Change Adobe Id associated with my Sony eReader account?
              sudha65 Level 1

Thanks Rizwan. I was able to change the Adobe Id using the directions you gave. (I have a feeling that the REGEDIT step may not be required, but I can't be sure). Even though your directions helped me to deauthorize my computer and my device to the NEW Adobe id, the Sony eReader store account was still associated with the old adobe id. So, when I went to the store, I could not download any books because it kept asking for the adoe password for the old Id and it wouldn't let me change to the new Id. Finally, I had to create a New sony ereader store account (which means I had to use different email address of mine)and authorize my device to that new account. All in all, it was cumbersome and not an intuitive process, but w ehave no other way, I guess.

Thanks for your help. I wouldn't have been able to do this without your help.

• 4. Re: How to Change Adobe Id associated with my Sony eReader account?
                sudha65 Level 1

I also agree with Frustrated in AZ about being very careful with the REGEDIT part of the process and to make sure that the sequence of events are followed.

• 5. Re: How to Change Adobe Id associated with my Sony eReader account?
                  sudha65 Level 1

As for the USB problem, the following helped:

I simply connected the USB to the rear USB port on my computer and it worked. There were some posts about SONY not supporting the USB ports on the front of the computer. Strange but true.  There were some other suggestions about doing a SOFT RESET, but I didn't have to do that.

By the way, one other caution about changing the Adobe Id on your eReader account. YOU WILL LOSE YOUR ABILITY TO READ YOUR BOOKS DOWNLOADED with the previous Id (both on your computer and on your device). Luckily, I just got the ereader, so I didn't purchase any books yet.

• 6. Re: How to Change Adobe Id associated with my Sony eReader account?
                    rizwan.54 Level 1

Hi Sudha,

Good to know that your problem has been taken care off.

As far as registry key is considered I would like to inform you that the key which I mentioned contains information about authorization of Adobe Digital Editions and the Reader associated with that ID hence deleting that particular key removes information about authorization and when you open Digital Editions it will remove the old authorization and will ask you to enter new authorization information.

This can also be done by pressing Ctrl+Shift+D but doing this does not removes the old information and when you will open Digital Editions it will automatically authorize it with old ID it will not provide you option to enter ID and password.

Hope this will clear your doubts about Adept key in Registry.

Regards

Rizwan

• 7. Re: How to Change Adobe Id associated with my Sony eReader account?
                      LoveSMC

According to Adobe Support, the regedit step is not required. All you need to do is Ctrl + Shift + D on a PC or Cmd + Shift + D on a Mac.

• 8. Re: How to Change Adobe Id associated with my Sony eReader account?
                        king durian

Hi,

I am experiencing the same problem with my sony PRS-650. The difference is that my ebook reader is not seen by adobe digital editions so it is impossibile to deactivate the old adobe ID on the sony reader. Is there another way to change the ID without using digital editions?

Thank you for your attention,

Andrea

• 9. Re: How to Change Adobe Id associated with my Sony eReader account?
                          Brendan_ca

Just came here to say thanks to rizwan.54; I followed the steps provided and everything worked perfectly.

My problem had been that I had set my computer and sony reader with an adobe ID and password, but later could not recover that now forgotten password. In any event, I wanted to clear the old ID and password from both my computer and reader to start afresh, and rizwan's instructions did the trick. Thanks again.