7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2011 1:17 PM by JBHarris-Adobe

Update Digital Signature in Reader X

Lobbyof93

Hi,

I have some PDF forms that I send about every 3 months, with only some minor changes.

I was able to make my changes (update dates etc.) then right click on the digital signature and select "Clear Signature", whcih would then allow me to re-sign the document under a new filename with a newly time stamped signature.

I can't seem to be able to remove a signature from an existing document anymore, there's no option to re-sign the document after I have made my modifications.

I am the original signer of the PDFs and have all th necessary passwords etc.

Patrick

• 1. Re: Update Digital Signature in Reader X
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What options are shown when you right-click the signature field? When applying a signature, it's possible to select the "Lock document" option, which will then prevent one from clearing a signature field. You can check to see if it's locked by right-clicking a page and select "Document Properties > Security" to see if Signing (or other changes) is allowed.

• 2. Re: Update Digital Signature in Reader X
            Lobbyof93 Level 1

Hi,

I've gotten around the problem by re-doing the form in the new X version, this then allows me to "Clear Signature" on each version I modify

To answer your question, when I right click on the sig, I get three options; "Validate Sig" / "View Signed Version" and "Show Signature Properties..."

When I do a new document (created in X) there is a fourth option, "Clear Signature" available as there was before

The "Document Properties" does not give any reference to Signing under Security. I have a screen shot of the relevant window, I can PM that to you if required.

Patrick

• 3. Re: Update Digital Signature in Reader X
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I would be interested in seeing that. It should look something like:

noSign.png

• 4. Re: Update Digital Signature in Reader X
                Lobbyof93 Level 1

My apologies, it does have "Signing :  Allowed"  on it.

I can send you the PDF file if you like, it's not particularly confidential

PDF Security Tab.png

• 5. Re: Update Digital Signature in Reader X
                  JBHarris-Adobe Level 1

Hello...are you using the same signing credential / digital certificate that you did when you signed it the last time?  Do you still have access to that original credential? Are you on the same PC?  If you answered no, to any of those questions really, then you won't be able to clear the signature.  You must have access to that original credential.  What version of Reader were you using before that you could clear the signature?

• 6. Re: Update Digital Signature in Reader X
                    san11793

How do you change the settings of the document to allow signing? I'm trying to sign a document in Reader X and it doesn't do anything when I click the field. I open the same document in Acrobat 8 and it allows me to sign. Any ideas on how to allow signing a document in Reader X?

• 7. Re: Update Digital Signature in Reader X
                      JBHarris-Adobe Level 1

Please note that free Reader does not automatically allow signing...whereas paid Acrobat does.  This is why it worked in Acrobat 8, but not Reader X.

In order to sign in Reader X, you would need to 'reader-enable' the PDF in Acrobat (or receive a Reader-enabled PDF), and then sign.  Do you still have the copy of Acrobat 8...in Acrobat 8 Pro, you can Reader enable a PDF for signing, form fill/save, commenting, etc.  This unlocks those features in Reader for that document.