6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2011 6:33 AM by Ed.Macke

Proper way of doing audio cross-fade

mrQQ

Hello,

I still don't understand how to do a proper audio cross fade:

1. Put two songs on different tracks, somewhat overlapping, and use fade-in/fade-out? Doesn't sound like a way.

2. Put two songs next to each other in same track and use audio crossfade transition? But this requires tracks to be overlapping. What is the proper way to make them overlapping? Trim a bit from each? But you usually only know if a fade is good after listening to it, and this way its almost impossible to nail it!

how are you supposed to do it?

thanks!    

• 1. Re: Proper way of doing audio cross-fade
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't overlap the two audio clips, Algirdas. Just put them end-to-end on your timeline.

For the best results, you should trim about half a second from the end of the first clip and about half a second from the beginning of the next so that they'll have some head and tail material to work with. (Bill Hunt's article on transitions and handles may help you undertand why, although I also go into a detailed explanation in my books.)

Then just place the Cross-Dissolve effect (Edit tab/Effects/Audio Effects) onto the intersection of the two clips.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Proper way of doing audio cross-fade
            Ed.Macke Level 3

My experience has been that the Cross-Dissolve effect is the simplest and most effective way to do crossfade 99% of the time.

But every once in a while, I run into a situation where I can't make the head/tail material work for both audio and video fades: if I trim the clips so the audio works, the video ends up wonky. Or vice-versa.

In those cases, I've resorted to Option #1 (overlapping the audio and using Fade-In/Out, or more likely, keyframes). I think I usually end up unlinking the audio and video first so I can trim them to different lengths.

Has that been your experience as well?

• 3. Re: Proper way of doing audio cross-fade
              N9JCR Level 2

You may be confusing video transitions (cross dissolve) with audio transitions (cross fade).  To my knowledge, cross dissolve only effects the video, not the audio - you likely need both.

Bob

• 4. Re: Proper way of doing audio cross-fade
                mrQQ Level 1

I'm talking about cross-fade of soundtrack. Not the video and/or linked audio track.

To properly crossfade soundtrack you need to find a good fading point. Just triming second of beginning/end won't do, because usually that is silence anyway. I guess 1) seems to be easier way..

• 5. Re: Proper way of doing audio cross-fade
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The soundtrack is an audio track, Algirdas. So my instructions will work.

And, naturally, you'll need to trim that half a second off the part of each clip where the music actually begins. Trimming it off the silence before or after the song obviously won't make any difference.

• 6. Re: Proper way of doing audio cross-fade
                    Ed.Macke Level 3

What I was trying to say was that the using the "canned" audio transition works in most situations, but in my experience there are *some* situations where the other (manual) approach works better.

One such example I've run into is when you want to do both an audio and video transition (i.e. a cross-fade on the audio and a cross-dissolve on the video). You trim your clip to get the head/tail length that gives you the cross-dissolve video transition you want, but you need different head/tail material to give you the audio transition you want.

Another example is where the pre-defined audio transition "shapes" (i.e. the rate of increase / decrease over time) don't give you what you want. You really only have 2 options (at least in PE 7).

Anyway, my point was that I agree with Steve that the pre-built audio transitions is the right way, but that every once in a while the right way might not give you exactly what you want and manually doing the cross-fade (basically the OP's "option 1") gives you more control.

Same thing with some of the other transitions (e.g. video dip-to-black or cross-dissolve).

I'm probably just muddying the waters.... sorry! Nevermind!