6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2011 3:18 PM by Osjcag

Third Party Motion Tracking: Importing?

Osjcag

Hi there,

Recently, I came across a free 3D motion tracker (on Mac, called Icarus) which also does a great job on 2D tracking. It does a point-based tracking, just like programs like After Effects, making it perfect for precise position and rotation tracking.

So, obviously, I started thinking of ways to copy the tracking data into Pre. We know that within Pre, you can copy the keyframe data from any clip to an other clip. But something I couldn't figure out, is how that keyframe-structure then looks on the clipboard. Does it even get copied to the clipboard? Or does Pre use an internal variable to store this copy-paste data?

I wasn't able to figure this out. I tried copying full clip info to a basic texteditor, only the motion data, even corner pin data and keyframes; non of it worked.

So all I actually want to know, how can you be able to use an external source to paste keyframe information into Pre?

A long evening of Googling really didn't get me any further.

This tracker in particular (Icarus), can export to both 'Human Readable' documents and After Effects keyframe data. Since almost any free motion tracker is capable of exporting to After Effects keyframes, I can make an After Effects keyframe to Premiere Elements keyframe converter (web-based), if necessary.

I hope someone can help me any further on this!

Thanks,
      Oscar

• 1. Re: Third Party Motion Tracking: Importing?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I don't know that you're going to have much luck copying the keyframe data from one program to the other. The two programs would have to be using similar source code for this to work.

But why not just do your motion tracking in the other program and then output the finished video as a DV-AVI/MOV (standard def) or an MPEG/M2T 1440x1080 (hi-def)?

You can then import this finished video into your Premiere Elements video project.

• 2. Re: Third Party Motion Tracking: Importing?
            Osjcag Level 1

Thanks for that reply, but I either I didn't understand your reply or I wasn't being clear.

I don't have After Effects. All I have is Premiere Elements, in which I want to do some basic, yet precise motion tracking. In Pre, the tracking is simply not precise enough or it can't even find an 'object' where I just want to track a single point.

So luckily, I found the seperate Motion Tracker application which does a perfect job at the tracking. It can export the keyframe information into an After Effects format (that's why I mentioned AE in the first place ).

Now the point is: how do I copy that keyframe information into Premiere Elements?

Which brings up an other question: what keyframe-format does Premiere Elements use when you copy keyframes from one clip to an other?

I hope this makes my question more clear.

• 3. Re: Third Party Motion Tracking: Importing?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're asking if you can copy keyframes from another program into Premiere Elements, you can not.

You can copy a keyframe for an effect in a Premiere Elements project to another copy of that same effect -- but keyframe information is not universal. You can not copy it from one program to another.

As for your other question, I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "what keyframe-format does Premiere Elements use when you copy keyframes from one clip to an other?"

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Third Party Motion Tracking: Importing?
                Osjcag Level 1

Thanks for that info. By the other question, I basically meant the same thing.

Too bad there's no possibility to do this. I'll have to stick with frame-by-frame hand tracking I guess to get any descent results...

• 5. Re: Third Party Motion Tracking: Importing?
                  nealeh Level 5

PRE has its own motion tracking feature, often used for blurring faces or number plates or for adding text or graphics that follow, say, a person around. Is that the sort of thing you are trying to do?

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Third Party Motion Tracking: Importing?
                    Osjcag Level 1

I'm aware of that feature and I've used it before indeed for blurring faces etc, but for the project I'm currently working on (and planning to be working on) this just isn't precise enough. Think of motion tracking for corner pinning data and (what I'm currently working on) placing bullet hits on a wall in a shaky shot.

Frame-by-frame hand-tracking does work better in some cases, but for current projects it just takes up so much time.

But thanks for trying to help anyway