8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2011 9:11 PM by Matt Sampson

ACR window hides behind dock?

Matt Sampson

I have recently reinstalled Photoshop CS5 after reinstalling Snow Leopard and now when I open Camera RAW the bottom of the ACR window where the Open/Done buttons appear are hidden behind the dock.  This didn't used to be a problem.  If I grab the bottom right corner of the window I can only alter it's width... not it's height to lift it above the dock to reveal the buttons.   If I double click on the stripey bit of the bottom right corner of the ACR window it resizes so that the buttons are no longer hidden but it's a bit of a hit and miss solution... for some reason it doesn't always work.

Does anyone have any suggestions please as this is driving me mad and most annoyingly it didn't use to be a problem.

Matt

• 1. Re: ACR window hides behind dock?
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

What's your display resolution? ACR requires a minimum of 1024 x 768 screen display so all you can do is set the Dock to Auto-Hide. You can also try using the Full Screen option at the top (although I haven't tried doing full screen with a minimum display resolution myself).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ACR window hides behind dock?
            Level 4

Jeff Schewe wrote:

…set the Dock to Auto-Hide…

That's the first thing I do anyway.  I can't think of a single thing that is more obnoxious, annoying and distracting than the multi-colored Dock at the bottom of my screen, and it definitely interferes with my perception of color in the image(s) I'm working on.

If you think that the sight of other colors does not interfere with your perception of color(s), you're dead wrong.

For an extreme example, take a look at the image below.  The seemingly blue and the seemingly green spirals are EXACTLY the same color.

colors.gif

See for yourself here:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2009/06/24/the-blue-and-the-green/

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Message was edited by: Tai Lao

• 3. Re: ACR window hides behind dock?
              Level 4

Jeff Schewe wrote:

What's your display resolution? ACR requires a minimum of 1024 x 768 screen display…

Mr. Schewe is, of course, correct that if you're having trouble with the ACR window, your monitor resolution doesn't meet ACR minimum requirements.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: ACR window hides behind dock?
                Matt Sampson Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm using a 13 inch Macbook Pro at 1280x800 so that should be OK.  I guess auto hide is my best option.  The most annoying thing is that it wasn't a problem before.  I can get the window to fit in above the dock as I mentioned by double clicking the bottom right corner but every time I reopen ACR the window is back behind the dock. Ho hum not to worry.  Again thanks for the sugestions.

Matt.

• 5. Re: ACR window hides behind dock?
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

Matt Sampson wrote:

I'm using a 13 inch Macbook Pro at 1280x800 so that should be OK.

Well, ACR needs 1024 x 768. So subtract 768 from 800 and you get 32 screen pixels. If your Dock is larger than 32 pixels, the dock will hide part of ACR's dialog. You might try making the dock smaller and use the magnification option to make it bigger upon roll over.

• 6. Re: ACR window hides behind dock?
                    Matt Sampson Level 1

Thanks Jeff, that's a good point.  If I make the dock as small as it will go part of the ACR window is still covered though the important buttons are now unobscured. So I think that the most elegant solution is probably to reduce the dock size until the buttons are unobscured.  Further proof... if it were needed... that the simplest solutions are generally the best.

Matt.

• 7. Re: ACR window hides behind dock?
                      Jeff Schewe Level 5

Matt Sampson wrote:

Further proof... if it were needed... that the simplest solutions are generally the best.

Cool...did you also try the Full Screen option?

• 8. Re: ACR window hides behind dock?
                        Matt Sampson Level 1

If you mean the green + button top left then yes I did and that works too... but it's another operation (all be it a very minor one admittedly)... that I was trying to avoid.