7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2011 10:47 AM by IraSeigel RSS

Acrobat X Pro and Error 1606

IraSeigel Community Member

I am not able to install an update for Acrobat X Pro due to the Error 1606 problem.  I have tried the Fix-It Wizard on the Microsoft webpage that's been recommended, to no effect.

I was able to install the update on a Win7 computer, but I can't install it on a machine running Win7 SP1.

Is there a solution?  Can SP1 somehow be preventing the update from installing?

Perhaps a solution is to rollback SP1 and then try to install the Acrobat update, but even if it works, I don't want to have to do it each time Adobe releases a security patch or update to X Pro.

• 1. Re: Acrobat X Pro and Error 1606
          LeoAdobeX Community Member

Can you please describe in as many details as possible how and in what form you get this error?

What is the exact wording? At what point you get the error?

Can you post an image of the error?

What version of Acrobat X you have? 10.0.0?

• 2. Re: Acrobat X Pro and Error 1606

I'm not able to post screenshots, so I'll try to describe the steps involved.

I am currently at v10.0.1.  I installed this update as soon as it was available, which was in Feb 8, 2011.

I installed SP1 of Win7 as soon as it was released officially to the public, which was after that.

When opening Acrobat X Pro, I get a window from the Adobe Acrobat Updater informing me an update is available (10.0.2).

I download the file and choose Install.

After the message "Computing Space Requirements", the install stops and I get the error message, "Error 1606: Could not access network location".

That's really everything.

Can you tell me if others who have installed SP1 of Win7 have also reported problems with the Adobe Acrobat Updater installing the 10.0.2 patch?  My only guess is that Adobe hasn't checked to see if SP1 is somehow preventing the installation of the patch, because it installs properly on Win7 without SP1.

Is there a workaround - perhaps NOT using the Adobe Acrobat Updater?  Or, as I suggested in my original post, perhaps uninstalling SP1 and then attempt to install the Acrobat patch?

Many thanks for your time and attention.

• 3. Re: Acrobat X Pro and Error 1606
              LeoAdobeX Community Member

Ira,

It seems to be quite common error.

I recommend "Search Forums" in the upper right corner for "Could not access network location" and choose the solution that you will be comfortable with.

Good luck

• 4. Re: Acrobat X Pro and Error 1606
                Bobby_Johnson_ Community Member

If Norton Anti-virus is installed on your computer, remove it temporarily and try installing again. You can also try the following steps.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
                2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
                3. Locate and then click the following registry key:
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
                4. In the right pane of Registry Editor, double-click Common Administrative Tools.
                5. In the Value data box , type the following line, and then click OK:
                  %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools
                6. On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.
                7. Restart the computer.

• 5. Re: Acrobat X Pro and Error 1606

Click Start, and then click Run.

1. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
                  2. Locate and then click the following registry key:
                    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ User Shell Folders
                  3. In the right pane of Registry Editor, double-click Common Administrative Tools.
                  4. In the Value data box , type the following line, and then click OK:
                    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools
                  5. On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.
                  6. Restart the computer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------------

Thanks for these instructions.

I don't have Norton AV installed.

I've located the User Shell Folders as directed, but I don't have an entry in right-pane labeled Common Administrative Tools.

Should I create it, and then follow the rest of your instructions?

I'm using Win7 SP1.  Please make sure your instructions pertain to that OS.

Much appreciated.

• 6. Re: Acrobat X Pro and Error 1606
                    kashifMohd Community Member

If you can provide an MSI log then it would be quite helpful in isolating the issue. Follow the following steps:

1) Download patch from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=4982&fileID=4630 to your "C:\Acrobat_1002\" drive

2) Click Start, and then click Run. Execute the following command:

msiexec /p C:\Acrobat_1002\AcrobatSecUpd1002.msp /l*v "C:\Acrobat_1002\Acrobat1002.log" /qb

3) If installation fails then post the log file "C:\Acrobat1002.log" here.

Also, do you have a 32 bit machine or a 64 bit machine?

• 7. Re: Acrobat X Pro and Error 1606

If you can provide an MSI log then it would be quite helpful in isolating the issue. Follow the following steps:

1) Download patch from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=4982&fileID= 4630 to your "C:\Acrobat_1002\" drive

2) Click Start, and then click Run. Execute the following command:

msiexec /p C:\Acrobat_1002\AcrobatSecUpd1002.msp /l*v "C:\Acrobat_1002\Acrobat1002.log" /qb

3) If installation fails then post the log file "C:\Acrobat1002.log" here.

Also, do you have a 32 bit machine or a 64 bit machine?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------

Thank you very much for these instructions.

I have a 32-bit Win7 SP1 OS.

The install using these instructions did not work, and the log file created seems quite long.  Can I email it to you, or would you prefer me to copy and paste it in this thread?  If you prefer email, please send me your address to IraSeigel@gmail.com

Thanks!