8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2011 9:33 AM by timaging

animating on a path?

timaging Level 1

Hi,

I need to animate a bunch of triangles on a path. The point of this triandle needs to follow the path.

See movie attached.

Is there a way to do this? I just want a stream of triangles following a path.

can you point me to some instructions?

http://www.taylorimaging.com/004.mov

thanks,

Dave

• 1. Re: animating on a path?
          micro5797 Level 2

In this youtube video the guy makes a pen follow a path. You may just be able to

watch this second video to find out how. Also youtube has a few videos about animated signatures taht will cover this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMHOOrVblVE

If you import a tirangle you can start with your new composition and import a trianle and go to "transitions, position" and move the triangle and set key frames.

Here is another video that starts with PS, but the AE part where this is covered starts at 4:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ls2RUSN3Cg

• 2. Re: animating on a path?
            timaging Level 1

here's exactly what I'm trying to create. I tried using a repeater in the shape, but it doesn't follow the path. I want the tip of the triangle to go around the corners or even rounded corners

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISX4AuaW-QY

• 3. Re: animating on a path?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Right click on your triangle then select Transform>Auto Orient. Select Orient along path. Then adjust the rotation property of your triangle so that the point is in the right direction. You won't need to keyframe any rotation.

Another way, maybe a better way to do this would be to add a null to the project, copy the motion path of the triangle to the null, make both the null and the triangle 3D layers, then shift the null a little ways back in the timeline so that the null is moving ahead of the triangle on the same path. Now apply the following expression to the triangle's orientation property property:

fromPoint = thisLayer.position;
              atPoint = thisComp.layer("Null 1").transform.position;

lookAt(fromPoint, atPoint)

Then adjust the Y rotation to 90º and set the Z rotation to point the triangle at the null. The triangle will now anticipate the change in direction. The further ahead the null is the more anticipation in the turn. The motion will look better.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: animating on a path?
                timaging Level 1

cool... auto orient almost works. It appears I can only get one triangle on a path though... using Repeater with the shape still behaves as one straight line of shapes going around the corners?

Dave

• 5. Re: animating on a path?
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

Duplicate the triangle layer a lot of times.  Start the animation for each layer at different times.

• 6. Re: animating on a path?
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                    using Repeater with the shape

Well, it would have helped if you had mentioned shape layers before... Indead repeaters do not operate on paths. So you can either only duplicate the existing animation and offset it in time or you use anotehr strategy entirely: I recomment you look into using a text layer with a dingbat font and then make it follow the path by animating the paragraph left/ right edge.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: animating on a path?
                      timaging Level 1

yep. I was just trying to avoid that

• 8. Re: animating on a path?
                        timaging Level 1

this sounds like a cool idea... I've managed to "cheat" this using a repeater shape layer and masking precomps

and it didn't have to be a repeater... it was just the only method I knew for creating multiple shapes from one thing.