32 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2011 9:07 AM by santiagomeddu

Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!

RailfanItaly

Hi everyone!
      After I tried Adobe Premiere Elements 4 on a friend's computer and after I found it a great program (also working very well), I decided to try it on my PC (30 days trial - version 4). After this period of time I used Movie Maker to create my videos till yesterday: in fact I decided to buy my copy of the new Adobe Premiere Elements 9.
      I tried creating a video and... the problems started!
      I did the same things I did a year ago on version 4 trial and I got a terrible result: I took some MPEG2 videos recorder by my camera and tried to rendererize a video with PREL 9. The video was reproducing very badly and was very jerky with all the players I have on my PC.
      Also I tried to upload it on YouTube and I got and unknown error. So I tried using some AVI videos I had on my PC and to renderize an AVI video. Then I renderized a FLV video using MPEG2 videos first and AVI videos after that. The result was the same: bad quality, jerky and unknown error on YouTube. One more thing: all the videos are in 16:9 format: my SONY DCR-SX34 records 16:9 MPEG2 Dolby Digital videos.
      I'm usin an HP Computer with Windows 7 Home Premium and NVIDIA GeForce graphics. With version 4 (about 11 months ago) I didn't have all these problems! Please help or I'll have to get a refund and buy another program (if possible!)!!!
      Thanks a lot in advance!

• 2. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
          RailfanItaly Level 1

Oh! I'll add a few more information: my PC is HP Pavilion dv7 1020el and I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium Italian.

To record the videos I use a SONY DCR-SX34 'Handycam' which records MPEG2 videos on a 4 Gb HardDisk and on a 8Gb SONY SD card.

My graphical card is an NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT and my screen is a 17'' screen with High Definition and Infinity BrightView. I'm not using any special codec except K-Lite Codec Pack Mega 6.0.0.

Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic and even VLC reproduces my videos (created with PREL 9) so badly! Help!

And remember that everything was working fine on the same PC with PREL 4 trial!!!

Oh! PREL 9 is also working VERY slowly and it's almost impossible to use the preview of the program (no real time editing? That sounds bad!). If this problem won't be solved I'll have to ask for a refund! Thanks!

• 3. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You apparently aren't matching your project settings to your source video. This would explain the flutter.

You have a low-end hard drive camcorder that shoots MPEG2 standard-def video.

When you started your Premiere Elements project, did you click the Settings button and select the preset for Hard Drive Standare Defiinition Camcorder?

If not, you'll have an interlacing conflict that produces a shakey, fluttery video.

Because you are shooting in this video format, you will also need to render your timeline regularly. So, whenever you see a red line above your clips on the timleine, you''ll need to press Enter. The red line will turn green and your program's performance should improve greatly.

Also, you don't say how you got your video from the camcorder into your computer -- but for best results you should not use a program other than Premiere Elements' Get Media/From Hard Drive Camcorder tool.

• 4. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
              RailfanItaly Level 1

Hmmm! I checked Hard Drive Standare Defiinition Camcorder and everything is not working as I told you before.

To import my videos on PC I use the official SONY PMB software which is compatible with most video editing softwares. I also have the video on my PC and not on my camera. And I have to create a video with them not to import them again (I don't have them on the camera anymore!).

About rendering the timeline... I'll try...

For now thanks but I'll write here very soon and I hope that everything is working well!

• 5. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
                RailfanItaly Level 1

No, no and NO! Rendering the timeline works and now the performace is O.K. but the video quality is awful, the flutter is terrible and very 'powerful'!

I get the same result with every type of project, every type of video I import and use as a source (tried AVI, MOV, MPG) and with every type of video I export (tried FLV, AVI, MOV, MPG).

So if I create a normal AVI video, using some AVI files I have on my PC ... the result is the same (flutter and CANNOT upload to YouTube because of Unknown Error).

And with the same situation and config PREL 4 TRIAL worked like a charm! Why is PREL 9 having so many problems?

The flutter situation can be seen also in the internal program preview when I open PREL 9! So the file is read badly and so renderized badly!! PREL 9 CANNOT read any of my video files properly creating that bad flutter!

So it DOES NOT depend on the type of camera or video, the problem is the software!!! Even Movie Maker from Windows can create a good quality video and PREL 9 cannot? Hard to believe! (Sorry... starting to get angry... I'll try to calm down... )

• 6. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
                  Curt Y Level 6

I also am having massive problems rendering videos.  I have tried AVI and WMV and

both come out so heavily interlaced they are not usable.  Rendered both in the avi, mpeg2, and wmv and all have the same problem.

Other video editors have no problem producing a clip of similar quality to the original.  What gives?

• 7. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!

As I have said both on this forum and on Muvipix, you need to match your project settings to your source video -- and you must use optimized video for your sources (which means no WMVs or H.264-AVIs).

• 8. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!

Rainfan, you've got so many things going on now that it's getting hard to keep track of what you're doing. Try this experiment.

1) Open a new Premiere Elements project. Make sure it's the Hard Disk Camcorder 720x480 widescreen project settings (or 720x576 if you are in PAL TV land). Make sure you create a new folder on your hard drive in which to save your new project file.

2) Plug your camcorder into your computer via USB and set your camcorder to VTR Play.

3) Use Premiere Elements' Get Media/From Hard Drive Camcorder Media Downloader to import a video segment from your camcorder.

4) Go the the Edit tab and select Project. Take the video clip you've just imported and put it on your project's timeline.

5) Use Share/My Computer/WMV and, using the Cable Modem preset, export a WMV of your project.

Post this WMV to Vimeo or the Gallery at Muvipix.com and post a link here to it. (Don't use YouTube, since YouTube will re-encode it and lower its quality.)

We'll be able to tell from these results if you'll be able to produce a successful Premiere Elements workflow. Believe me, once you get a successful workflow down, the rest comes pretty easy.

There are a number of helps in my books, available at Muvipix.com and at Amazon. You can also learn a lot of basics in my 8-part Basic Training tutorial series.

• 9. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
                        RailfanItaly Level 1

I'll follow the instruction tomorrow and tell you. Thanks for the help and sorry for me getting a bit angry with Adobe! Thanks again!

• 11. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
                          Curt Y Level 6

Steve Grisetti wrote:

As I have said both on this forum and on Muvipix, you need to match your project settings to your source video -- and you must use optimized video for your sources (which means no WMVs or H.264-AVIs).

And I have stated repeadly, other video editing programs have no problem rendering the same videos.  If cheaper video editors can do it why can not Premier Elements create a useful video?  There was no requirement in the other programs to use optimized video, anything you threw at it worked as long as it would handle the codec.  Is PE that restrictive?

I find it hard to believe that PE is not capable of taking a WMV, MOV,  or any flavor of AVI and making a decent video.  This is mainstream format for a lot of users. 

As I have stated before I would like to buy PE and your book, but unless I can figure out how to render movies with similar quality as the original I would be throwing my money away.

All I want to do is cut unwanted portions of the video out and do a few simple edits.

What am I missing?   And please don't say "a non-compressed video source", or an NTSC mpeg-2 video.

• 12. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

I had decided not to inject my comments into RailfanItaly's issues that he posted at another forum until you and he had finished your discussions here. Two or more people suggesting troubleshooting strategy at the same time can be counterproductive. However, there are one or two things that you suggested to him that you might want to reconsider or modify. Also further insights into Field Options may be in order beyond the special project preset.

1. In Premiere Elements 9, the Project Tab to get to Project Media view is under the Organize Tab, not the Edit Tab

2. The suggestion to do a mini test with a Windows Media Export is fine, however a bit more detail might be worthwhile so that RaifanItaly does not end up exporting a 320 x 240 range instead of 720 x 576 and wondering why the video looked so poorly,....examples

Share/Computer/Windows Media/Preset Cable Modem and then under the Advanced Button of the Cable Modem preset

Video Tab

Video Codec = Windows Media Video 9

change: Frame Width = 720 pixels

change: Frame Height = 576 pixels

change: Frame Rate = 25 frames per second

change: Pixel Aspect Ratio = D1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 (4.4587)

Audio Tab

Leave As Is, realizing that there is no Dolby Digital option there.

What does the following look like:

Share/Computer/MPEG/Preset = PAL DVD Widescreen

using the default settings. In this route, there is the Dolby Digital option.

3. With regard to import, it is not clear to what you were referring from the name given. Were you referring to Get Media/"Flip, AVCHD, Cameras and Phones" and the Video Importer? Here I would ask you to consider downloading the video from the camcorder hard drive (or memory card) to the computer hard drive, and then bringing the media into the project with Get Media/Files and Folders.

But, before all this is tried, it would be a good idea if RailfanItaly went through a check list:

a. Premiere Elements 9.0.1 installed?

b. Computer optimized?

c. Available RAM and free hard drive space?

d. etc.

I hope that my comments will not be counterproductive and will lead to RailfanItaly posting a sample of the best possible video that he can produce in his computer/Premiere Elements environment.

ATR

• 13. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!

Curt, this is going to get confusing if you bring your discussion from your other threads into this thread.

There are several video programs out there, each with its own strengths, each designed for its own workflow. I don't mean to sound flip, but if you've found a program that's cheaper and can better fit your workflow, why not use one of them instead?

Premiere Elements is optimized to work with a certain form of video for a certain purpose. It's not a fault in the program if you're trying to use it for a workflow it's not designed to work with.

• 14. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!

Thanks, Tony.

BTW, you'll note that the original poster is using Premiere Elements 4 -- in which the Project button is under the Edit tab.

EDIT:

Ooops! You're right. I see now that he is asking about version 9. Good catch.

• 15. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

I just got an email of your response to me, and I was headed over here to have a talk with you when I saw your Ooops.Ooops, noted.

Also, except for Xvid.avi, I have found that Premiere Elements does a decent job with a wide variety of formats and camcorders/cameras, more so than you might have implied. It is working with specific details of the camcorder specifications and Premiere Elements import and export considerations/settings when I succeed in this area.

ATR

• 16. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
                                    Curt Y Level 6

Steve, just adding in that I am also having problems with rendering in PE, so sorry if I hyjacked the thread.

I am looking for a better video editing program, and I like the support forum here and on muvipix, and books you have written.  With the program I use I am pretty much on my own.  In addition, I really like Sony DVD Architect and your comments there relate to using PE also.  Just trying to get on board and figure out where I am going wrong so the program would work for me.  From your statements I guess it will not.

• 17. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
                                      RailfanItaly Level 1

Hi! Thanks for the help. Today I tried running the program as admin on my Windows 7 PC and I got this error:

driver.png

Here's a translation: We have detected an incompatible display driver. To get a better and  faster playback performance, please update your display driver.

Display driver details:NVIDIA (etc etc)

In fact the version 187.66 of the driver I have is very outdated (this driver has been released in 2008). I'll try to update to the new NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT/PCI/SSE2 3.0 NVIDIA 267.76.

Then I'll post here again! I hope to solve the problem soon because PREL 9 is a great program if it works and I like the way and the simplicity it can create videos.

• 18. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!

Also, try this suggestion in response to that error message.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/769303?tstart=0

• 19. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

RailfanItaly

One of the early problems with Premiere Elements 9 was the display driver error message. One of the fixes for it, IF updating the display card driver did not fix the problem, was deleting the Baddrivers.txt file. Please read the following for some of the history on that in a thread that I started here.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3303586

Have you downloaded and installed the Premiere Elements 9.0.1 Update for Premiere Elements 9? If not, please do so.

You can do that by going to the program's Help Menu/Updates or downloading and installing the Update from Adobe

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929

Please confirm if you are working with the purchased Premiere Elements 9 at this time or whether you are working with the Premiere Elements 9 try out.

Thank you.

ATR

• 20. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
                                            RailfanItaly Level 1

I updated succesfully the graphic card drivers (NVIDIA drivers) and (first of all I completely solved the 'uncompatible driver error') I got a great improvement of performance and of stability... but the problem is not solved!

I downloaded both 9.0.1 update and Camera RAW 6.3 updates and I'm working with a version of the program (PREL 9) I purchased two days ago!

I uploaded the sample I made following Steve's instructions: here's the link to download it from MegaShare: http://www.MegaShare.com/dnd/3168058/98dd0c3414d434ae802947b4dea417a5/sample.mpg

Oh! I posted an MPEG2 file beacuse I need to create videos in this format!

Also the 'shaking' flutter effect seem to disappear in the background... strange...

• 21. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!

Thank you for following the instruction, RailFan. Unfortunately, I could not view your video on that site. Do I need to be a member to do so?

Also, please DO output your video as a WMV, per my instructions above. Even if you do ultimately plan to output your final movie as an MPEG, we need to see a WMV at this point in order to judge the quality.

• 22. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
                                                RailfanItaly Level 1

Simply click on the link and download the .mpg file to your desktop.  Then open it using your favorite player (ex. Windows Media Player or  VLC).

Posting to WMV (320x240) THERE ISN'T THAT PROBLEM, but I can see lots of 'lines' between the various photograms... And so this is another problem!

The problem is now apparently only with AVI and MPEG2 export! And of course there's another kind of problem with WMV...

Download WMV sample from MegaUpload (this time I changed sharing service): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6PB179GF

To download from MegaUpload you have to select the Free Download after waiting 45 seconds.

Here's a screenshot of the WMV 'lines' problem:

png1.png (As you can see - no good quality here with WMV!)

• 23. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
                                                  RailfanItaly Level 1

I actually need you to verify my MPEG file, which contains the most important problem. If you have problems downloading it tell me. One more thing I forgot to say before... I'm in a PAL region (Italy) and I use an Italian localized version!

• 24. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!

The fact that you're in the PAL system is the another reason you should not use an MPEG as your sample file at this point.

It needs to be a WMV in order for us to see what's going on.

However, I am still not able to view or download a video from the link you've posted.

Is there a reason you can not post to Vimeo or Muvipix, from which we know we can view your movies?

And please ensure that you are following the instructions I posted above exactly. You should not be using your video project. You need to use a test project, based on my instructions, in order for us to see what is going on with your video.

• 25. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
                                                      RailfanItaly Level 1

Muvipix videos upload requires admin approval and Vimeo has very long 'conversion times' (over 1 hour). This is not the best choice in my opinion... What's bad with MegaUpload? Simply download the file and see it after you downloaded it on your PC!

All the instructions has been perfectly followed!

NEWS! Tried opening the MPEG2 video made with PREL 9 on my second netbook and it's perfect... so what's wrong with my main PC???

ANOTHER VERY BAD THING! The 'The upload failed due to an unknown error.' error on YouTube is always there and so there's something wrong with the video and NOT with my PC... I'm seriously thinking of getting my €100 back from Adobe and pass to a program that works, maybe Cyberlink, Pinnacle or even SONY!!! Please don't make me say that this product is as useful as a computer virus!!!

• 26. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!

I'm afraid I'm going to have to throw in the towel, RailFan.

I can't see your posted video and I'm not clear what is and what is not working at your end. (Muvipix does not require any administrator approval to post a video. I know -- because I'm one of the site's administrators!)

But trust me, if you use the proper settings for your video, you'll get good results.

I understand if you're ready to move on to another program.

• 27. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
                                                          nealeh Level 5

Played at full speed in a 320x240 window your WMV looks fine. The train in the MPG file looks a little soft but it is a very fast moving object. Everything in the MPG background is sharp.

Cheers,
                                                          --
                                                          Neale
                                                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 28. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
                                                            RailfanItaly Level 1

Steve, thanks a lot for all the help and the attention to my problem! Your support has been appreciated a lot and I want to say 'THANK YOU', but also sorry for being so angry in certain moments... In the end I decided to submit a refund request and to give the product back to Adobe (Adobe Italia). I hope that I'll receive my money and with them I'll eventually buy another software which I can use in a better way.

Thanks also to all the other people who helped me!

• 29. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
                                                              Johnny Blu

Steve

I read the discussion here and have some questions on rendering good videos with Premiere Elements 9.01 as well, somehow related to this thread.

I have made some video files with a Sanyo Xacti camcorder which offers 1080-line 50p/60p recording format with bitrates up to 24 Mbit/s (but Sanyo uses MP4 container instead of AVCHD container to store video).

I then moved them directly from the camcorder folder onto my hard disc folder.

My goal is to burn a blu ray disc and show the movie on a full HD beamer (PAL).

I made two project files (named TEST 1 and TEST 2) with Premiere Elements 9.01, but the final video image quality is in both cases not satisfying compared to the image of the original video files, which are sharp and have high contrast (image quality comparable to a commercial blu ray with a feature film on it) and not rather blurry (comparable to a commercial DVD).

The project files have the following settings:

TEST 1: DV PAL/frame size 720/576, 25fps.

TEST 2: DSLR/frame size 1920/1080/fields: no fields (progressive scan), 25 fps.

My questions:

1) You wrote that project settings are important when creating a new project. What settings do I have to choose to achieve my goal? Can Premiere Elements 9 actually take advantage of video files with progressive scan?

2) Is it possible to change project settings after having finished a project?

3) is twofold:

a. Is it possible to import/copy the timeline of TEST 1 file into a new project?

b. If this is not possible I would have to set up a new project with different project settings than project TEST 1 and edit the whole movie again, right?

4) TEST 1 project runs about 7 mins, so it is rather short. Can I hence burn also a DVD instead of a blu ray (file size would fit on a DVD). What settings do I have to make in the share section to achieve a DVD with Full HD quality? In a test, I rendered the timeline, burnt a DVD, but result was not good.

My main concern is how to take full advantage of 1920/1080p movies on a full HD beamer via blu ray.

Thanks in advance!

John

• 30. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
                                                                santiagomeddu

I have the same trouble. For example i have an .avi video which I recorded from the screen of my computer. If I opne this video with windows media or windows movie maker the quality is perfect bu when i open it with PE9 the quality goes to the floor. Do you think this problem is fixable? or do I have to get another video editor

Thanks for your help

• 31. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the full details of that AVI file? This ARTICLE will give you some background and some tips on finding out the CODEC inside the AVI format.

What video screen-cap program was used? If Camtasia, CamStudio or FRAPS, perhaps something in this ARTICLE will be helpful.

Good luck, and please let us know more.

Hunt

• 32. Re: Cannot render good videos with PREL 9!
                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

For more info on CODEC's, in general, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt