20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2011 9:19 AM by cvid01

Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5

Alith7 Level 1

I am very new to Premiere pro, and am considering not using it anymore unless I can figure this issue out.

I am a professional photographer, and I need to make pan and zoom (Ken Burns effect)  slideshows-pretty basic.

I have extremely large image files, and am having serious issues with the quality once I render them in ppro.

I have tried all of the below:

-Importing sized correctly to the project size in ppro

-Importing larger than the project size

-Importing psd,pdf,jpeg files

-Setting the new preset in photoshop to "TV and Film"

-Importing high res pics directly from my 5D markii

-Etc.....

This all over days and days of scouring the web and calling fellow video editors for advice.

I have gone through and tried tons of different forms and sizes for my ppro projects.

The issue is;  I bring my huge or resized files into ppro.  They look great.

Then, when they're too big I scale them down or if they were properly sized to match that of the ppro project I leave them unscaled.

Then 1 of 2 problems occur:

-In the case that they're too large, I scale the image to the size of my ppro project-it becomes painfully pixelated.

-In the case that they're the correct size and I don't need to scale them, when I render them-then they pixelate and become just as painfully

low quality.

I didn't include a screen shot of this, but trust me-it's truly a massive loss in quality-it's painful-worse than even SD should be.

I have a new imac, I bought it last month, the specs are:

Processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3

Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

1 processor

2 Cores

Is my video card not rendering poorly?

Is ppro somehow compressing my images during rendering?

Is there a problem with my pixel aspect ratio?

Again, the problem has nothing to do with exporting at this point.  The export quality matches that of the low quality within the program.

When I process my HD video in ppro I have not had any compression issues-it is only issues I have when I use graphics or images.

Thank you so much for your time, if anyone could help that would be great!

• 1. Re: Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5
          Harm Millaard Level 7

With such an underpowered computer your best bet is to scale your images in PS to the size you need on export from PR. Once rescaled, import into PR, edit and then export.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5
            Alith7 Level 1

Thanks so much Harm!  I had already tried that and that didn't work either.

So what you're saying, is my computer (stats stated above) is too weak to successfully produce a 30sec slideshow with semi good quality?

Please give an honest answer, if I need a new system-so be it.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5
              {KMS} Level 2

Your computer will not effect the quality of your final output, it will only change how well you can work with the material within Premiere Pro.  Can you provide more detail about the size of the images and whether or not you are using the Mercury Playback Engine in software or hardware mode?  Which graphics card do you have?  What codec are you exporting to?  What is the resolution of the project you are working on?  I had some problems at first with PPRO CS5 and large images at one point, but I have been able to make some changes and produce great output files.

Sorry for all of the quesions.  I am trying to wrap my head around the problem and what you have done to fix them...

Message was edited by: {KMS}

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5
                Alith7 Level 1

I appreciate your time, Here are your answers:

1.) The size of the images: 5616x3744, 11.5 MB-on average

2.)  I assume I am using the Mercury Playback Engine-and I'm not familiar with how to check if it is in software or hardware mode.

3.) My Graphics card (which also may be the problem):    ATI Radeon HD 5670

4.) I have exported to many codecs.  To trouble shoot, I have tried almost all of them-resulting in pretty much identically poor qualities.

I am willing to try specific codecs, I am willing to try anything at this point.

5.) The resolution of the project I've been working on has varied as well. When this problem began, I tried every different project size and exported at almost every option available.

Note: I was incorrect in my first post- I imported a small clip of HD video from my 5D, and it rendered very poorly as well.  I don't remember having this problem in imovie though...

I've answered your questions as best as I know how, I hope this helps.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5
                  mdubuque Level 1

Alith, you've come to the right place.  I'm new here and have much to learn but this is an extremely helpful forum.

I downsize my 5d images prior to importing into Premiere Pro and it has worked well, on the whole.

I plan to do the Ken Burns effect soon also, but so far my video workflow incorporating lots of 5d stills has been quite smooth.  It does help to have more horses under the hood so to speak.

Before purchasing my computer, I compared the way that MacPros devoured the videos and the Macbooks were truly taxed.

That may be relevant here.

Matt

• 6. Re: Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5
                    shooternz Level 6

One thing...your ATI card is not a CUDA based card and is not supported by the MPE

in hardware mode.  THat requires specific Nvidia Cards.

I have no idea why you are experiencing rubbish out put though.

• 7. Re: Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5
                      {KMS} Level 2

Alith,

There are several setting that I could have you check, but I thought it may be easier to setup a small project for you to download to test on your machine.  I created a very simply (not going to win any awards) timeline with 7 images with the Ken Burns effect applied to them.  All the settings in the project file are what I would use for myself.  I scaled the images down a little bit in Lightroom so that the longest edge of my images are 4000 pixels.  Some might say that is too large for an 1080p project, but I like as much wiggle room in PPRO as possible and my machine seems to handle them without any problems.  I also tend to use jpg images because of the lower memory requirements (psd files sizes are just so much larger).

The project below looks great on my machine.  I will be interested to hear how it fairs on your computer.  It is a little strange that video looks poorly as well...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15268922/Snyder/PPRO_Test_Project.zip

Kevin Snyder

• 8. Re: Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5
                        shanola82 Level 1

Wow, thank you all so much.  Let me work on some of these things.

Also, this is still Alith/shanola82, but somehow my co worker's Adobe identity gets switched with mine-so my posts show up as one of these two.

Sorry for the confusion.

• 9. Re: Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5
                          shanola82 Level 1

I am in the process of downloading the sample project, in the meantime I tried reinstalling just in case.  This did nothing. 

I am going to also try these same files on my older version of ppro-which I have never used but is on a separate computer.

I will keep you updated.

• 10. Re: Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5
                            shanola82 Level 1

Wonderful pictures by the way.

Here's what happened:

1.)  I downloaded the project and opened it in premiere pro

2.)  First this box popped up:  

"This project was last used with Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration,

which is not available on this system.  Mercury Playback Engine Software Only

will be used."      Then I clicked ok.

3.) Secondly, this box popped up:

"The editing mode used by this sequence could not be loaded.  The sequence will be opened in Desktop mode."

Then I clicked ok.

4.) I finally got the project into ppro, when I tried to render ppro quit.

5.) I reopened ppro, tried to open the same project and this popped up:

"FILE IMPORT FAILURE

PPRO_Image_Test.proj

Error Message

File format not supported"

Then I clicked ok.

6.) When the file opened in ppro, all the media was offline and I couldn't re link it.

At which point I stopped.

• 11. Re: Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5
                              {KMS} Level 2

Alith,

I am sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble.  It seems that there may be some problems specific to your machine.  Try to open a new blank project and import the project that I posted to see if you have any better luck.  Did PPRO crash when you tried to render previews on the timeline or when you tried to export to a file?  Which version of PPRO are you running? 5.03?

Kevin

• 12. Re: Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5
                                shanola82 Level 1

Kevin,

I will try this. 

Ppro crashed when I rendered, I didn't get as far as an export.

I am running ppro CS5

I'll let you know how this goes

• 13. Re: Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5
                                  {KMS} Level 2

Have you updated to the latest version 5.03?

• 14. Re: Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5
                                    cvid01 Level 4

For info Ken, I opened your test project using an  ATI video card, but with a quad processor (Q9550) and 8 GB of memory. It worked just fine.

Maybe Alith can provide a description of the disc setup in Alith's computer. Which drive contains system, video, etc.?

• 15. Re: Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5
                                      shanola82 Level 1

Kevin,

Yes, I uninstalled my copy of ppro, and reinstalled a trial version an hour ago to trouble shoot.  I am assuming this is the latest version. 

shanola82

• 16. Re: Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5
                                        {KMS} Level 2

cvid01,

Thank you for checking that out for me, I appreciate it.

• 17. Re: Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5
                                          shanola82 Level 1

cvid01,

I have to go to work, but I will give you these specs as soon as I can.

Were you using a mac to open these files?

Thanks

• 18. Re: Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5
                                            shanola82 Level 1

Could the problem be that my computer has 32bit color pixel depth-not 64?

• 19. Re: Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5
                                              {KMS} Level 2

"Could the problem be that my computer has 32bit color pixel depth-not 64?"

No, that is normal...

• 20. Re: Image rendering issues in Premiere Pro CS5
                                                cvid01 Level 4

I am using a PC to open the files. I opened it running Vista 64. Haven't tried it on my other PC, but its runnig Win 7 and is a better machine, so I expect it will work there. I thought I would try it on a slower and older machine to see it if worked, and it did; of course, without a CUDA card, it redlined, but still played OK on the project monitor.

My system disc is different from my project disc. All in all, I have 4 hard drives on the older computer, but not in a RAID.