4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2011 12:49 PM by Harm Millaard

Moving from CS3 to CS5 - old hardware

garth_rhymer

I think I know the answer to this question but wanted to ask anyway. I've been running CS3 on the following system

Windows XP

Pentium D 830

Nvidia Quadro  FX 1400

80GB Raptor

500GB Raid 0

2GB DDR2 RAM

I'd like to upgrade to CS5/Windows 7. Can I use my old hardware or do I need a new system? If the answer is new system, can I salvage any of the old components or is it just not worth the effort? Thanks for your help. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

• 1. Re: Moving from CS3 to CS5 - old hardware
          Harm Millaard Level 7

New system. What can you salvage?

Windows XP: no

Pentium D 830: no

Nvidia Quadro  FX 1400: maybe but not advisable

80GB Raptor:salvagable

500GB Raid 0: salvagable

2GB DDR2 RAM: no

Look here: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5: System Requirements

• 3. Re: Moving from CS3 to CS5 - old hardware
            RjL190365 Level 4

Hello,

This is my first post in these forums although I have been lurking around for some time.

To answer your question, I echo Harm (for the most part). Premiere Pro CS5 cannot run at all on Windows XP; it requires a 64-bit operating system to run. And all retail and most OEM versions of XP are strictly 32-bit.

Second, that Pentium D is below Adobe's minimum CPU requirements (CPU performance wise).

Third, although you can carry over that "80GB" Raptor, I wouldn't recommend it: At only about 70 MB/s, its maximum sequential speed is only about half what a current-model 7200 rpm hard drive can achieve.

The RAID 0 can be carried over.

Finally, 2GB is the absolute minimum required by Adobe for CS5, but I would recommend a lot more than that. Moreover, adding more DDR2 RAM is now no longer worth the price, especially if you have to also replace the CPU and motherboard just to even run CS5. And nearly all new motherboards these days use DDR3 RAM.

Hope this helps,

Randall

• 4. Re: Moving from CS3 to CS5 - old hardware
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Hi Randall,

If you are the Randall I expect you to be, the one with the dark horse with arabian blood in it, great to have you aboard. Welcome.

There is much to be said for registering with REAL NAMES, instead of mysterious nicknames. I prefer the DVINFO approach, but that is another topic.

BTW, I just published your new results.