3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2011 8:15 PM by MichaelKazlow

PDF piracy...

cc_zar

Hello.

I am in the process of creating what I think will be a very useful book and during this process it has occurred to me that it might be a nice item to have to offer for sale in a digital (PDF) format as well as the hard copy that I initially intended.

However, the internet being what it is, I am seriously concerned about getting my book ripped-off and spread around the internet regardless of copyright, etc.

I have done a little bit of searching but have not yet found out if it is possible to secure (my) PDF from theft/piracy???

Is there some kind of a way to guard against this?

• 1. Re: PDF piracy...
          Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

From what I have read and heard, my answer would be "not really". Most teenagers will be able to crack most of the protections you can use in about any file. And PDFs don't seem to be all that easy to protect...

• 2. Re: PDF piracy...
            cc_zar Level 1

Oh man!

I don't like that answer!!!

...There's got to be a way to do this digitally...(like, maybe, a different kind of software...???).

• 3. Re: PDF piracy...
              MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Adobe sells software that can secure your book through Digital Rights Management, but it would be cost prohibitive for your project unless you think you can spend tens of thousands of dollars at a minimum not counting the cost of purchasing and running a server. I would suggest if you want to sell your book contact a company that will provide you with a customized DRM solution.