12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2011 7:08 PM by amal.dahlan

not sharp video output in PProCS5

amal.dahlan

Hi all,

I have an issue regarding videos produced by pprocs5. My videos will turn out blurry and not sharp at all especially inserted Texts. During post-processing it looks fine even before pre-rendering them, but the final output is just off. I have been using premiere pro 2.0 on a very underpowered workstation since few years ago and all my videos turned out fine. Texts are sharp and crisp. Video footage also turns out sharp when rendered. Just recently i purchased a new workstation and premiere pro cs5, that's when everything turns out wrong. I thought a massive upgrade to cs5 would improve my work quality but it seems that im heading the other way. I know for a fact computer specifications doesnt effect the final output of the video, it only helps during the editing and rendering process(correct me if im wrong).

Most of the videos im working on are in AVI format. The output settings i used on pprocs5 is exactly the same when i use ppro 2.0, but the output for pprocs5 is very bad. Since it is a huge jump from 2.0 to cs5, i might be missing some new features or settings that cs5 has. I might have overlooked the sequence presets at the beginning of a project, but i can ensure i choose the same presets, and output settings in adobe media encoder in cs5 as to in 2.0. I tried using every presets and tried tweaking every single thing in AME but the final output from cs5 is very blurry and not sharp at all, very visible on texts, it looks squished.

any ideas on this matter?

Thank you in advance

• 1. Re: not sharp video output in PProCS5
          joe bloe premiere Level 5
          Most of the videos im working on are in AVI format. The output settings i used on pprocs5 is exactly the same when i use ppro 2.0, but the output for pprocs5 is very bad.

Obviously, this should not be the case.

You might get some help if you provide specific information
          regarding your source footage, sequence setting and AME settings.
          Screenshots of the pertinent data fields could be helpful.

• 2. Re: not sharp video output in PProCS5
            info@filmundton.de

Hello. I've just the same problem. Unless now I worked with CS3 and avi-Files. Everytime I wanted to export as avi-File I've chosen either Microsoft AVI oder Matrox AVI (I'm owner of a Matros card) and I got a fine copy of my original file. Now on CS5 it doesn't matter what AVI-export setting I choose, the copy of my avi File is much worse in quality - not as sharp and it's blurry. I tried Export via Microsoft Avi, Uncompressed AVI, with Matrox DV Codec and with DV PAL codec. I even tried exporting via quicktime DV PAL. Each file has the same quality which is not the quality of the original avi-file. It also doesn't matter if I check "Render with maximum quality" or not. So what is wrong with PP CS5. Is it only created for HD operations. What about all the people that usually work with SD? My station is an I7 Asus P6T with 6 GB RAM and Win7. The avi files are captured directly from DV in CS5 or imported from CS3.

• 3. Re: not sharp video output in PProCS5
              mdubuque Level 1

Are you making two (instead of just one) VBR passes during the rendering process?

Is that an option at the bottom portion of your export settings?

Matt

• 4. Re: not sharp video output in PProCS5
                info@filmundton.de Level 1

This is not an option because I'm not rendering in an compressed format. I want to export uncompressed avi - sams as original data. So there should be no compression with CBR or VBR.

• 5. Re: not sharp video output in PProCS5
                  anuraggrwl Level 2

Can you please check that you footage has been interpreted correctly for pixel aspect ratio and interlacing fields if you are working on interlace footage. you can do that by right clicking on footage in pfroject pannel and selecting interpret footage under modify.

Also check that you have premiere Pro updated to 5.0.3

• 6. Re: not sharp video output in PProCS5

The footage is directly captured via CS5 from DV input 16:9. It is shown as 4:3 video. So I have to interpret footage to get 16:9 back and I checked Upper/Lower Field interpretation. After that playback in time line is correct. Vut after avi export the picture ist still bad quality. What do you suggest are the best export settings to get an avi-copy of my original material ?

• 7. Re: not sharp video output in PProCS5
                      anuraggrwl Level 2

What are your current sequence settings? I suggest drag your footage on the new item icon on project panel this will create a sequence to match you file.

For export uncompressed Avi will be the best option but you can also try match sequence settings for export with use maximum render quality.

What’s the average data rate of you footage? your can check that under properties by right clicking in project panel.

• 8. Re: not sharp video output in PProCS5
                        Lucien Schilling Level 1

Uncompressed is the best quality setting! The only way I get blurry videos is by scaling up (wrong parameters for the timeline, wrong output parameters) or high compression rate.

The following may help to progress on your problem:

• post a snippet of your input data.
                        • post hardcopies of your parameters: Input file (copy/paste properties), sequence settings, output/export settings

Lucien.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: not sharp video output in PProCS5
                          anuraggrwl Level 2
                          function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

The footage is directly captured via CS5 from DV input 16:9. It is shown as 4:3 video. So I have to interpret footage to get 16:9 back

Is it playing 16:9 on media player or other players ?

When you check the properties outside premiere whats the frame ratio and frame size? 16:9 or 4:3 ?

If your 16:9 footage is getting captured as 4:3 its a problem?

• 10. Re: not sharp video output in PProCS5
                            Lucien Schilling Level 1

The difference between 4:3 and 16:9 is purely mathematics in any case for DV material. That should not be a problem.

• 11. Re: not sharp video output in PProCS5

Hi and thanks for your replys. The best results I get is when I check "match to Sequence Settings" in the export window. Then all fields for setup are greyed out and the copy of the footage is very similar to the original. It's not exactly the same quality but neraly 95 %. I wonder why it is not the same quality when I only make a copy of footage without having made any changes on the footage but who knows. In my opinion the quality of copying footage in CS3 was 100% and therefore better than now on CS5.

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: not sharp video output in PProCS5
                                amal.dahlan Level 1

hi guys,

thanks for the conversation, it was really useful and i learnt a few new points to improve my output in cs5.

however, the most effective way was to check the box with the 'match sequence settings' suggested in the post above by info@filmundton.de, and yes my output in cs5 finally turned out sharp and great. but i can still say that the outputs from cs3 are 10% more sharper and cleaner than cs5. anyhow, what i have now is good enough for me and my work.

i will put this matter as 'solved'

thanks a million guys

happy editing.