11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2011 1:17 AM by MDonfield

Editing footage not from a camera?

MDonfield

I do not own a camera, and I purchased Premiere Elements 9 only last month.  Most of my clips are animation that I've created in 3d programs and saved as avi files.  How do I import and process these in PrE9 without getting annoying interlacing artifacts (visible scan lines)?  All the presets that I see when starting the program look like they assume you are using an NTSC or PAL digital camera.  But none of my work is made with a camera.  I just dl'd the pdf version of the manual, so I hope someone can point me in the right direction.  Thanks for reading.

• 1. Re: Editing footage not from a camera?
          nealeh Level 5

'AVI' is not a format in itself, but a container for your clip. Analyse your clip with GSpot Codec Information Appliance and post a screen shot so that we can see the true format in your file.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Editing footage not from a camera?
            MDonfield Level 1

GSpot is identifying it as Microsoft Video 1, which is

what I specified when creating the file. Though why it's saying codecs aren't installed

seems odd, since I've had no problems playing avis or mpegs from other sources.

gspotresult.jpg

• 3. Re: Editing footage not from a camera?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The codec listed is CRAM.

Not sure what that is, but I'm sure that it's at the root of your problem. It's certainly not a traditional video editing codec!

• 4. Re: Editing footage not from a camera?
                MDonfield Level 1

Okay thanks.  I'll see what other compression options I have, may have to go uncompressed.

• 5. Re: Editing footage not from a camera?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Uncompressed is probably not a better solution.

But this is the challenge in working with video from a non-camcorder source.

What is this video's source?

• 6. Re: Editing footage not from a camera?
                    Curt Y Level 6

Steve,

What video editor can you recommend for non-camcorder video, like the flavors of avi and wnv?  Preferably less than $100.

Does not look like Premeir Elements will work on compressed video.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Editing footage not from a camera?
                      MDonfield Level 1

The footage in that sample was from a 3d animation I had made in a program called Poser.

I have also created animations in a program called Animation: Master using the same

Microsoft Video 1 setting, and they showed the same interlace lines after editing.

I've also seen it happen with mp4's from Internet Archive that I used when first testing the software.

The artifacts seem to appear most frequently if I Share the finished video as a .wmv file through PrE9.

The workaround I've been doing is to Share from PrE9 as an .avi, and then convert that to a .wmv using

Windows Movie Maker, but that should be an unnecessary step when PrE9 is supposed to do the same thing.

Ten years ago, I used to have access to Adobe Premiere 6 and was using it for the same type of animation

editing, except then I would save as .avi or .mov, as it didn't have .wmv capability.

• 8. Re: Editing footage not from a camera?
                        nealeh Level 5

It seems from googling CRAM Codec that it originates circa 2004. The search also links to several sites where you can download the codec. I suggest you create a system restore point, install the codec and see what happens. If it works - fine, if not you can restore to the earlier system state.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: Editing footage not from a camera?
                          MDonfield Level 1

Neale, Steve, thanks for the suggestions.  I did a test using different codecs and it looks like the simplest thing for me to do without additional installs is use a DX50 codec, which lets me make 320x240 .wmv without interlace artifacts, or I can use Cinepak compression which will give me an .mpg of larger resolution.  Since at present I'm not making these for dvd or broadcast, those should be good enough for internet quality.  It's possible Microsoft isn't supporting CRAM anymore (with an acronym like that I don't blame them), just as they no longer support Indeo it seems, which a lot of my older work was saved in and is now unreadable.

Thanks again for all the help.

• 10. Re: Editing footage not from a camera?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

If I got that CODEC correctly, the DX50 is DivX 5.0, which is a heavy compression, designed for delivery-only of streaming video. CinePak (by Radius) is probably 12 years old now, and has been replaced by many, many newer and better CODEC's, especially for editing.

For some general info on CODEC's, see this ARTICLE.

I've got an older Poser, but have to admit that I have not used it in some time, so do not recall the options for Export, and which system CODEC's it will work with. In very general terms, the ultimate Export format/CODEC would be DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. That footage will work perfectly in PrE (or most NLE programs).

The trick can be WHAT is available from the animation programs. Ideally, one would want a low-compression format/CODEC, like the above DV-AVI. WMV, MPEG (all flavors) and many MOV flavors are not the ideal, and most of the issues are with their heavy compression.

This ARTICLE might also prove useful, when choosing formats/CODEC's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Editing footage not from a camera?
                              MDonfield Level 1

Thanks much Bill, I'll check that out and do more experiments.