4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2011 9:25 PM by jl2000

Why is the movie too bright on TV but OK on monitor?

jl2000 Level 1

Hi -

I don't know whether the problem is in AE or Encore so I hope I'm in the right forum.

I built the 6:00 animation in AE and rendered it as a QT mov with no compression.  The subject is filling out forms and mailing them to the correct office, so there are a lot of forms and envelopes animated.  There is also some white call-out text against a dark blue background.

When I burned it on DVD I just did a quick and dirty without looking for or making any adjustments in picture quality (I don't know if there are any).

When I play the DVD on computer it looks fine but on my big TV it is way brighter.  White text on the screen is filling in.  Details on animated forms and envelopes wash-out.  Over all - everything is lighter/brighter.

Is there a way I can balance this out?  Is there a setting in AE or Encore?  Must I darken everything in the AE?

What has caused this and how can I fix it?

TIA some expertise.

JL

• 1. Re: Why is the movie too bright on TV but OK on monitor?
          yenaphe Level 4

Well you're problem is all about monitor calibration, and it'"s up to you to get the color adjusted to your delivery output.

You will always have color / contrast and Brightness shift from a screen to another, the ideal way is to test during production on a professionnaly calibrated monitor to be sure that your color looks as explected on it.

Sadly it's mostly a trial & error work.

Hope that Helps,

Seb

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why is the movie too bright on TV but OK on monitor?
            jl2000 Level 1

Seb - thanks for the rapid response.

Amateur that I am, I don't have access to calibrated anything.

But the output is both computer monitor and TV screen.  I'm freaked that it looks SO different.

I've played it on a few computers and it looks good on all.  Unfortunately I only have one TV/DVD.

Where should I look for the adjustments you're talking about - After Effects or Encore?

(sense the panic in my voice?)

JL

• 3. Re: Why is the movie too bright on TV but OK on monitor?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

TVs and computer screens have different Gamma. There is no way to produce one file for all circumstances. The only reasonable alternative would be to create a DVD played via a software player even on the PC - the player software will do the Gamma correction. Otherwise you will always need two files if one is supposed to be used for desktop playback and the other for conventional TV. Do some reading on broadcast safe colors and ITU 601. Some ignorant fools will tell you that it has become obsolete in the age of LCD screens, but apaprently it is not...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why is the movie too bright on TV but OK on monitor?
                jl2000 Level 1

Thanks for the helpful information.  I'm so relieved to know that my production is OK - even though it means my 52" TV is whacked