20 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2011 12:49 PM by Colin Brougham RSS

Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)

Lucien Schilling Community Member

Problem description:

I got a bunch of MOV files on a HFS+ formated disk for editing on Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3). When I import to Premiere, Premiere says "Codec missing or unavailable". Paragon HFS+ is used to handle the HFS+ formated disk. I copied the data to a NTFS formated disk before using.

The reseach I did give the following indications:

I did try to play in Quicktime and Quicktime told that I would need additional software to play the .mov file. But I could execute show movie inspector and it shows "XDCAM EX 1080i 50 (35Mb/s VBR)".

VLC plays (!) and tells that it is a "Mpeg 1/2 Video (xdvc)"

MediaInfo says "MPEG Video (XDCAM)"

Sound is (L)PCM according to the mov inspector programs.

The MPEG2 format seems to be supported by Premiere (also in HD), forum entries tell me I should be at version 5.0.2 as there Adobe supports the MOV container. So now my question: What am I missing?

I have no idea on the Camera used to film, but it could be a JVC, as it is told that the JVC writes mov files.

• 1. Re: Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)
          Colin Brougham Community Member

You can import XDCAM in an MP4 container, or XDCAM in an MOV container if they actually ARE from a JVC camera; my guess is that these are actually MOVs produced when FCP imports via "Log and Transfer" from XDCAM MP4s. Those files, unfortunately, are not natively supported by Premiere. You should be able to import and edit them with Calibrated{Q} XD Decode. The files can playback a little slow by default, so be sure to use the XML file here: Why are XDCAM/HDV MOV files not playing back in realtime on my computer?

I have another thought on how to handle these, but I can't test it--I lost my test clips! Any chance you could upload/send me a short sample? PM me if so...

• 2. Re: Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)

Thanks Colin,

You're probably right. I think the data has been used in FCP.

I have found a converter program (Pazera Free MOV to AVI Converter), but it reencodes the data (to MPEG). There is a passthrough option to AVI, but that didn't work neither in Premiere (but again VLC played the file without a hassle).

L.

• 3. Re: Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)
              Jay Gladwell Community Member

This seems to be an ongoing problem--people running MXF/MP4 from XDCAMS (pick your flavor) files through FCP then passing them off to editors with other NLEs. It's a royal waste of time.

My personal crusade is to encourage editors to insist on a copy of the BPAV folder(s). It is the supplier's responsibility to deliver the correct file format to the editor.

Your first question should be: "What is the video's file format?" If the answer is anything related to MXF or XDCAM cameras, the second question should be: "Can you, please, give me a copy of the BPAV folder(s)?"

• 4. Re: Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)

Yes, I'm learning this the hard way now. But for this project, I cannot get better data, as I'm recycling some data for a second and third project. But there are software able to read that FCP data, so it had not been modified in an absolute proprietary way. It seems to me to be more a competions situation that disallows reading the data.

Lucien.

• 5. Re: Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)

Lucien,

I've managed to get the video into a format (without transcoding) that can be imported into Premiere; however, the audio is proving to be difficult. Do you need the audio with these clips?

• 6. Re: Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)

No, I don't need the audio (currently). Infact for the precise project, I unlink the original audio and delete it from the sequence.

• 7. Re: Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)

OK, here goes:

1. Get a static build of FFmpeg here: HawkEye's FFmpeg Windows Builds. The 32-bit version is fine.
                      2. Open the downloaded archive file and go into the "bin" folder; extract ffmpeg.exe to a folder containing your MOVs.
                      3. Create a new text document in the folder with FFmpeg and the media files called "mov2mp4.bat" making sure you change the .txt extension to .bat.
                      4. Open the text document and paste the following:
                        @ECHO OFF
                        for %%a in (*.mov) do ffmpeg.exe -i "%%a" -vcodec copy -an -f mp4 "%%~na".mp4

5. Save the document (again, being sure it has a .bat extension), and double-click it in Explorer. The batch file will run, processing every MOV in the folder and rewrapping it into an MP4 container. This is lossless (there is no transcoding), and should go relatively quickly. Note that this also doesn't copy the audio, so you'll have video-only files. The resulting MP4s will import perfectly into Premiere.

Let me know how that goes!

• 8. Re: Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)

Thanks Colin!

Perfect! The videos convert fine and fast (as there is no recoding, there is no quality lost).

Digging deeper, I'm sure to find also a solution for the sound. At least when having time, I will look after that.

This is what I did differently from what has been described: I've used the 64 bits version (I'm sure the 32bits may work too, but as I have a 64 bits Workstation...) and I've copied the program and the .bat (thanks for that, that's really a nice one) to a directory in my path. This allows me to use the program from anywhere as I have several directories to transform.

Lucien.

• 9. Re: Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)

Digging deeper, I'm sure to find also a solution for the sound. At least when having time, I will look after that.

Glad it worked! I haven't given up on the audio, but it is a challenge. The source MOVs have two mono LPCM tracks, and so far, I've not found a way to use FFmpeg to wrap the PCM tracks in an MP4 container. It must be possible, as the XDCAM EX format uses MP4 with MPEG2 video and PCM audio. The difference is that those MP4s have one stereo track, and it doesn't appear that FFmpeg has the capacity to create a stereo track from two mono tracks at present.

I have been able to get the audio into an MP4 as AAC, but again, only one channel. I'll keep at it...

This is what I did differently from what has been described: I've used the 64 bits version (I'm sure the 32bits may work too, but as I have a 64 bits Workstation...) and I've copied the program and the .bat (thanks for that, that's really a nice one) to a directory in my path. This allows me to use the program from anywhere as I have several directories to transform.

Yep, you already went the advanced route Another thing you can do is keep the BAT file in a convenient location, and just drag-and-drop the files you want to convert onto the BAT; the MP4s will be saved in the same location as the MOVs.

I'll post back if I figure out the audio issue!

• 10. Re: Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)

Alright--think I got it! Went through all kinds of crazy permutations to get to this incredibly simple solution:

1. Get ffmbc - FFMedia Broadcast . This is a customized build of FFmpeg that is more geared toward broadcast formats and applications. The latest "official" release (0.5) will work.
                            2. Since you already know how to drop the files into your path, I'll skip that part. Just create a new batch file called something like "mov2mxf.bat" and paste the following into it:
                              @ECHO OFF
                              for %%a in (*.mov) do ffmbc -i "%%a" -vcodec copy -acodec pcm_s16le -f mxf -y "%%~na".mxf -acodec pcm_s16le -newaudio

3. Save it, run it, enjoy

Note that this creates MXF files with two mono tracks, per the original MOVs. If you'd rather a single stereo track, I think that's possible--I was going down that road when I discovered that this works just fine in Premiere. Also, FFmpeg will create an MXF file that imports, but in my tests, they crashed Premiere when played back. The MXFs generated by FFmbc seem to be OK, though.

Let me know how that works out for you

• 11. Re: Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)

Adobe Premiere does not understand the file correctly. Soud is imported into 2 stereo chanels and played distorted (reminds me Star Wars, I now now how to get that effect. ). VLC plays the MXF file without any trouble, I suppose that Adobe interprets some flags the wrong way!

• 12. Re: Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)

Are you using FFmbc, or the standard FFmpeg distro?

Soud is imported into 2 stereo chanels and played distorted

Do you have the default sound mapping set to "Mono as Stereo" in preferences?

• 13. Re: Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)

FFMBC to create the MFX files with a copy/paste bat file as of your previous post. I checked the bat file. It refers the absolute path to FFMBC!

• 14. Re: Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)

Weird. Here's the file I created working in CS5:

mxf.png

Audio is dual mono and sounds fine. I'm PMing you a link to the clip; please test it and let me know how if it works or not. If it doesn't, there is some environmental variable at work here...

• 15. Re: Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)

Yes , that differs from mine! I will recheck the parameters and try the same file you have!

Untitled-1.png

• 16. Re: Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)

Hmm... I wonder if the source you're using is different. Try using MediaInfo to analyze one of the troublesome files; use Text mode to copy and paste the report here.

So far, I've had similar problems trying to turn the mono into stereo...

• 17. Re: Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)

Hi Colin,

The explanation is quite simple and it appeared to me sometime during the weekend when executing completly different tasks.

The video source is different! The small clips (and your test clip) are what came from the camera and was transcoded to mov, my test clip was the edit out of FCP! It was by chance the only mov-file left, all others have been deleted after transforming to mp4, not to keep the data in double and fill up the disks with unnessecary data. So I tested this clip, which was the mistake!

Testing one of the original input files confirmed your result!

The difference between the files is having indeed 2 mono audio streams (input mov) vs one stereo stream (edit mov), all 3 obviously PCM.

Input MOV

Audio #1
                                          ID                               : 2
                                          Format                           : PCM
                                          Codec ID                         : lpcm
                                          Duration                         : 2s 760ms
                                          Bit rate mode                    : Constant
                                          Bit rate                         : 768 Kbps
                                          Channel(s)                       : 1 channel
                                          Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
                                          Bit depth                        : 16 bits
                                          Delay relative to video          : 4h 14mn
                                          Stream size                      : 259 KiB (2%)

Audio #2
                                          ID                               : 3
                                          Codec ID                         : lpcm
                                          Duration                         : 2s 760ms
                                          Bit rate                         : 768 Kbps
                                          Channel(s)                       : 1 channel
                                          Delay relative to video          : 4h 14mn
                                          Stream size                      : 259 KiB (2%)

Edit MOV:

Audio
                                          ID                               : 2
                                          Format settings, Endianness      : Little
                                          Format settings, Sign            : Signed
                                          Codec ID                         : sowt
                                          Duration                         : 9mn 26s
                                          Bit rate                         : 1 536 Kbps
                                          Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
                                          Stream size                      : 104 MiB (4%)

Thanks,

Lucien.

• 18. Re: Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)

Lucien,

The video source is different! The small clips (and your test clip) are what came from the camera and was transcoded to mov, my test clip was the edit out of FCP! It was by chance the only mov-file left, all others have been deleted after transforming to mp4, not to keep the data in double and fill up the disks with unnessecary data. So I tested this clip, which was the mistake!

Testing one of the original input files confirmed your result!

The difference between the files is having indeed 2 mono audio streams (input mov) vs one stereo stream (edit mov), all 3 obviously PCM.

I actually got an array of XDCAM files this weekend, and I confirmed what you discovered--the FCP exports are stereo originally, and don't map correctly to MXF (at least when using the batch I posted). However, those MOVs should import into CS5 without any additional work--at least, that has been my experience.

If they don't (and you need to use them), I've got another Special Recipe Batch File for you

1. First, get SoX - Sound eXchange here. Put it and the files that came with it somewhere in your path; I made a custom path to C:\Program Files (x86)\sox, but do whatever works for you.
                                            2. Create the following .BAT file:

@ECHO OFF
                                              for %%a in (*.mov) do ffmbc -i "%%a" -vn -acodec copy -y -f wav %%~na.wav
                                              for %%a in (*.mov) do sox %%~na.wav %%~na-1.wav remix 1
                                              for %%a in (*.mov) do sox %%~na.wav %%~na-2.wav remix 2
                                              for %%a in (*.mov) do ffmbc -i "%%a" -vcodec copy -i "%%~na"-1.wav -acodec copy -map 0.0 -map 1.0 -map 2.0 -f mxf -y "%%~na".mxf -i "%%~na"-2.wav -acodec copy -newaudio
                                              del *.wav

3. Run the BAT next to the FCP export MOVs--not the camera MOVs. What this batch does is use FFmbc to demux the audio as a PCM WAV, then us SoX to split the stereo WAV into two mono WAVs, and then use FFmbc to put the original video plus the two mono audio tracks into an MXF container. The result imports perfectly into Premiere Pro CS5--though the audio doesn't seem to playback quite correctly in VLC...?

Do try importing the exported MOVs directly, though--those work perfectly for me.

• 19. Re: Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)

Thanks Colin.

Currently the mov opens in calibrated, unregistred and with watermarks. I will need to uninstall that before trying to import the video again. The Calibrated is also a "nice" way to extract the audio, as the watermark shows in the video, not the audio.

I will give SOX also a try when I have the time to do so. As said before, audio is now not the priority, but as I expect seeing more such data in the future, I will need being prepared.

I really apreciate your effort and knowledge.

Lucien.

• 20. Re: Mov files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - XDCAM (MPEG) resp MPEG 1/2 (xdvc)

Alright, figured out an even easier way to map the stereo to dual mono, using only FFmbc:

@ECHO OFF
                                                for %%a in (*.mov) do ffmbc -i "%%a" -vcodec copy -acodec pcm_s16le -ac 1 -map_audio_channel 0:1:0:0:1:0 -f mxf -y "%%~na".mxf -acodec pcm_s16le -ac 1 -map_audio_channel 0:1:1:0:2:0 -newaudio

Done! The resulting dual mono MXF imports perfectly into Premiere (I think... ).