17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2011 5:27 AM by Charlie Images

Invert in ACR

Charlie Images

This may not be a popular item or desire but I would like to see an "invert" option in ACR.  Does anyone know of a way to do this?  The need is based on duping B/W or Color negatives.  It is very cumbersome to open the smart object apply a "invert" filter then keep jumping back and forth between CR & PS for changes. 

While I have your attention, how about CMYK converts in ACR?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Invert in ACR
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would doubt Adobe would add a function for such a small market segment.  Presumably you're using a DSLR with some sort of close-up attachment to photograph negatives, or do you have a slide-scanner that produces a RAW file of some sort?

A suggestion would be to do an initial conversion in ACR to a 16-bit ProPhotoRGB TIFF, perhaps in batch mode, invert that in Photoshop, and edit the TIFF in Camera RAW if what you're doing can't be done in Photoshop.

What compelling adjustments do you need ACR for that you can't do in Photoshop?

• 2. Re: Invert in ACR
            Vit Novak Level 3

I'm not sure that ACR is the right tool to deal with negative scans. Workflow is different, and also, invert function isn't enough here - you have to remove the red mask, adjust levels etc (as far as I remember ...)

• 3. Re: Invert in ACR
              Charlie Images Level 1

I have slide/neg duping set-up from way back in the film days.  Always works great!  You offer an interesting work around but I would rather stay within the ACR environment for work flow and quality.  Negatives were never manufactured to be scanned, they work best in a projection application.  Also with ACR I have a greater range of controls then my Heidelberg does. But it's not so much about the control PS has or hasn't, it's more about how ACR handles the controls in a nondestructive environment with a greater range of output and maintaining a greater level of pixel integrity.  On a scale of doing a few now and then verses collections of thousands of images I would rather have the speed of workflow in ACR.

Thank you for your comments, I'll give the raw to TIF to raw and try.

• 4. Re: Invert in ACR
                MTSTUNER Level 6

In ACR you might try using the point curve and inverting the

Linear curve (just like in the photoshop curves dialog) and then

saving a preset for the curve.

Untitled-1.jpg

MTSTUNER

• 5. Re: Invert in ACR

I asked about the scanner because some are known to produce TIFs rather than Bayer-array RAWs, anyway, so converting one TIF to another wouldn't hurt anything.

Using the reversed point-curve as MSTUNER suggested, looks like it might work.  I was thinking it would only reverse the luminance, not the colors. 

If you are going to have 1000s of images to update, Lightroom might be faster for many images.

• 6. Re: Invert in ACR
                    Level 4

That's an intriguing idea, MTSTUNER.

Not that I can conceive ever needing such a curve, but how on Earth did you manage to save the inverted Point Tone Curve in a manner that ii shows in the ACR Curve drop-down menu in the Tone Curve Panel in ACR?   

At least in ACR 5.7, I can only manage to save global settings for all the ACR tabs (as xmp settings files), but not a Curve preset I can choose in the ACR Tone Curve Panel. 

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 7. Re: Invert in ACR
                      Level 4

ssprengel wrote:

…Using the reversed point-curve as MSTUNER suggested, looks like it might work.  I was thinking it would only reverse the luminance, not the colors…

That was going through my mind too. 

[Elucidation from Mr. Schewe and/or other ACR gurus would be most appreciated.

Strike that last sentence.  I figured it out a few posts down in this thread.. 

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Message was edited by: Tai Lao

• 8. Re: Invert in ACR

In ACR 6.x, at least, when you click Save Settings in the Curve tab, you can change the subset to just Point-Curve and it stores them into the Curve subfolder so it shows up on the point-curve drop-down list.

• 9. Re: Invert in ACR
                          Hudechrome Level 2

But the drop down menu still says Custom. Maybe it's a Mac feature?

• 10. Re: Invert in ACR
                            Level 4

ssprengel wrote:

In ACR 6.x, at least, when you click Save Settings in the Curve tab, you can change the subset to just Point-Curve and it stores them into the Curve subfolder so it shows up on the point-curve drop-down list.

Ah, thank you.  That clears it up.  It works that way in ACR 5.7 too.

My mistake was in overlooking the Subset drop-down menu (red) and targeting just the Point Curve option (green) in the dialog box itself, excluding all other boxes,

ACR_save_point_tone_curve.jpg

Much obliged.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 11. Re: Invert in ACR
                              Level 4

Hudechrome wrote:

But the drop down menu still says Custom. Maybe it's a Mac feature?

Weren't you actually presented with a Save dialog box where you could rename it?

ACR_save_AAAAA.jpg

• 12. Re: Invert in ACR
                                Hudechrome Level 2

I did the same thing!

It works now. In fact, I generated another curve, one that emulates compensation development.

I was not looking forward to un-clicking all those boxes!

• 13. Re: Invert in ACR
                                  Hudechrome Level 2

Yes I was, but I thought I  got the whole shebang to uncheck.

• 14. Re: Invert in ACR
                                    Hudechrome Level 2

I was looking for a button that would clear all the boxes, like a lot of other software does, then a default reset if necessary.

• 15. Re: Invert in ACR
                                      Level 4

Never mind.  I answered my own question.  See next post.

• 16. Re: Invert in ACR
                                        Level 4

I deleted my last post because I answered my own question by opening this test JPEG in ACR and reading the color values in each of the color rectangles before and after applying the Invert Tone Curve.

The luminance value is reversed in each of the RGB channels.  Duh! I should have figured this out earlier.  

Test.jpg

• 17. Re: Invert in ACR
                                          Charlie Images Level 1

Outstanding, it worked great and it makes perfect sense, don't know why it didn't jump out prior to this.  Tank you all.