30 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2015 12:10 AM by wilsen

Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution

helenthegreat_2011

Hello, I'm totally new to developing apps for android and am just getting started in flash CS5. According to most tutorials that I can find on the web I need to install an extension from adobe.

see this tutorial

Creative Sweet TV - Publish to Android 2.2 from Adobe Flash CS5 | Adobe TV

However, when I go to adobe's site they say that the extension isn't available anymore and will be integrated with their new version of Flash!!!!

Adobe Flash Professional CS5 Extension for Adobe AIR 2.5 - Adobe Labs

I just bought a new Mac to run CS5 and can't believe that now it looks like I'll have to upgrade my software, at more expense, in order to do something that was possible only a short time ago!!

Does anyone have any information on this problem?

• 1. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
          darkbearinteractive

Im looking for the same thing. I do have the extension installed on my laptop but I dont know how to export it. If I knew how to export it, i could give you my version.

• 2. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
            Noob911

I'm in the same boat. It seems ridiculous that you can't publish .apk files from Flash CS5 if you weren't part of the prerelease beta. Adobe is just leaving us out in the cold until they release the next version and make us pay for it. I can't even find a straight forward workaround for converting AIR files to .apk either. The extension made it look so easy, and now without it, it's nearly impossible for the average designer that isn't a code master to create Android content.

• 3. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
              ChrisH Level 1

Hi All,

Why don't Adobe leave the extension up there until they roll out the new version of FP?

To Adobe,

That's no good!

Adobe (and your awesome staff), on a whole I think you do a great job and obviously most of us love your tools.

I don't post on these forums much, but I've been a member since 2002 (and certianly read a lot of posts).

The software hasn't been out in Oz for 12 months yet, so how do you expect people to start leveraging the new features and expand if you make it cost prohibitive and have to upgrade to the next full version (well before it's release), by subsequently taking down the value added components that the customer base obviously want / need / and appreciate.  (my assumption is that when you say 'release' you are talking about full release and not simply an online update).

In helenthegreat_2011  case you have obviously alienated a recent customer that was after functionality you advertise, by promoting the diversity and flexibility of you tools, and reading recent posts it doesn't seem isolated.

I expect new developers would have at least 6 months lead time before a new version rolls out (the common 18 months version gap) and that's potentially 6 months of existing Adobe customers developing with that platform in mind, (and cementing a stronger client base using your tools to develop for Android).

So essentially the devs that have the extension currently are the only ones that are able to use FP to develop Android apps, and Adobe have locked the rest of the customer base out, mandating that they will need to purchase the next version of FP to be able to do this.  .

Can Adobe please clarify what your customers are supposed to do in the mean time / or do you have an alternative for us?

What was the reason it was taken down?  Was it unstable, or was it up to simply test, gauged interest, and try to profit maximise by pushing the functionality to a new release.

To quote your page "The extension for Flash Pro CS5 to deploy applications to the Android platform will no longer be available. This feature is being rolled into the next release for Adobe Flash Professional. Please check http://www.adobe.com for latest news and information about the availability of the next version of our Creative Suite products."

And that's all it says (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashpro_extensionforair/) Could we please either have the extension back, or at least a bit more of an explanation other than "Pay out a few more thousand dollars and you can have the functionality - but you'll have to wait until we release it first."

Here's the rub...

Personally, 4 months ago I spent just under $4,000 (AU$) to purchase CS5 Master Collection.

I wont be waiting until Adobe release FP CS6 to be able to develop for Android devices, I'll be investing the time to find alternate development environments (such as Unity3D http://unity3d.com/unity/publishing/android) and ditching the plans of using Fash for Android dev.

If you're going to arbitrarily take down the tools that extend the functionality of your product, then at least spend the time taking down all the Adobe articles, tutorials, videos, etc on your site that promote it as an availble functionality.

Unless we're missing something or there is an aloternative, on the face of it, I think it's poor form Adobe.

Regards

Chris

• 4. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                darkbearinteractive Level 1

This is really terrible on Adobe's part. Someone from Adobe please help!

If I cant get this to work in Flash, I'll be switching my development to Titanium for cross platform mobile development

• 5. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                  Mikael A Level 1

I'm desperate, really need the SDK. Is there someone who can share it with me "please"!!!
                  Best Regards
                  Mikael

• 6. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                    Noob911 Level 1

This is where I got it...however I can't say that I've successfully created an .apk with it yet.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

• 7. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                      Mikael A Level 1

Thanks, but I mean the Adobe Flash Professional CS5 Extension for Adobe AIR 2.5.

• 8. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                        rodolfo1216 Level 1

The unavailability of the Flash CS5 extension for android development is unbelievable!  Like the others on this thread, I bought CS5 not long ago under the assumption that I could develop iOS and Android apps with it.  Now you make the extension unavailable until some unknown time when I'll be forced to spend hundreds more to upgrade??

Come on Adobe!  You're undermining Flash and alienating your own developers!

• 9. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                          DetroitFlash

This is really annoying. I'm a long time Flash dev and lover. I loved Macromedia and honestly was nervous when Adobe bought them. Adobe hasn't been too bad honestly but this last bit is REALLY ANNOYING. I was on the verge of purchasing my student teacher copy of Flash CS5 for the sole reason of developing .apk files. That's money they are not getting today. They may feel confident that they can make me wait however this market is moving FAST. I'm looking at Appcelerator and just using Eclipse. I'm starting to figure it out. And honestly it is more native. But I do love Flash. Oh well. I can only assume there are two reasons for this:

1. Security flaw.

2. Greed

Why hasn't anyone posted a link to the extension? Isn't just a .zxp file? Or does it need a certificate?

Come on Adobe the mobile industry is moving with or without you.

• 10. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                            IHelpU Level 1

We understand the importance of being able to create apps for IOS and Android devices.  Mobile is one of the reasons why CS5.5 is created.  And as you might know, there is a public press release about it.

Please continue to love Flash. Flash CS5.5 is probably the most stable build in its series.

-Jun

• 11. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                              ChrisH Level 1

Thank you for the post IHelpU.

To hear from Adobe on this is certianly appreciated.

That media release appears very recent - within the last few of days.

In essence what it now states on your site is:

1 - CS5.5 is not available yet and is not likely to be available until some time in May (Just US or globally??).

2 - To have access to the functionality of a 0.5 Master Collection release, we have to spend anywhere from an additional $550 US$ upwards to $1400 to upgrade.

3 - To buy MC outright will cost $2600 US$

4 - An annual subscription to stay up to date will cost $129 to $195 per month (or $1584 to $2340 US$ per annum).

Does a subscription make sense to anyone??  It costs as much as buying it outright as it does to pay for an annual subscription - no cost benifit to bother with a subscription is there.  To give you a comparison - to buy Autodesk 3DSMax is approx $4,000.  The annual subscription to receive all future full releases and upgrades is $770 pa.  A $2340 subscription for a $2600 product make no sense to me.

CS5 was released in May / June 2010 here in Oz, so in under 12 months Adobe are removing access to the free value added augmentation of the current version and announcing a full suite upgrade.

For me, this answers the question as to why Adobe has taken down access to the free augmentation of their existing product.

In regard to that I don't think I'll be rushing to upgrade, on the expectation that in another 6 months Adobe could well be announcing CS6 and taking down the extensions for CS5.5.  Particularly with things like Molehill still in the pipeline.

Adobe, thankyou for responding. Yes most of us seem to love your products, hence why some of us are a bit unhappy about this matter.

Regards

Chris

• 12. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                                IHelpU Level 1

Hi Chris,

1 - It takes some time to mass produce/package/ship the products.

2 - 4. Some decision Adobe makes may not make sense to everyone.  It is a very hard job to try and make everyone happy.  Sometimes, to make some people happy, it leaves others confused or unhappy.

Think of it this way...

1) Some people would prefer having new features and bug fixes more often rather than every 2 years. On the other hand, some people would prefer major upgrades and big features than smaller incremental updates.  We find that people are more happy when their bugs are fixed and the faster we bring it to them, the happier they will be.

2) Some people would prefer to skip an upgrade and wait for the next to save some money.  On the other hand, some people would always want to latest and greatest; the sooner the better.  Some can also complain that Adobe is "lazy" if we don't release often enough.

3) Not everyone use Flash daily, weekly, or even monthly (in fact, most people who use Flash extensively is because they are doing it for a living); having an option to pay a subscription would benefit some.  How well will the subscription model will do?  We don't know for sure yet since it is the first time Adobe is doing this.

I'm glad you are excited about molehill.  The Flash Player has different release cycles than Adobe products.  The player releases every quarter; a much faster rate than other products do due to many reasons (mainly security since it is such a big target due to its popularity and install count).

That's all I can say and I hope it helped~

-Jun

• 13. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                                  DetroitFlash Level 1

I just hope 5.5 comes out QUICK.

Why does CS5 still allow iPhone app creation but not Android?

I ask again. Does anyone have the .zxp file they would be willing to share? If you want to sell it let me know.

• 14. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                                    ChrisH Level 1

Hi Jun,

thanks for the prompt reply.

To respond to what you have said succinctly, so as not to confuse the issues.

1 - I understand firstly Adobe is running a business.  I think everyone appreciates that, and we are still buying your products.

2 - Many of your customers are running a business using your products - as I am - so it might get on our goat when it's done in what appears to be a solely capitalst manner.

3 - I understand you can't keep all of the people happy all of the time, but you try very hard and it's appreciated.

....And in my opinion here's the core to the argument.

4 - Your response does not answer the fundamental question of why Adobe removed the access to the free extension from your existing CS5 customers.

Unless you have another clear explanation, the only answer I can deduce is to force the cutomer base into upgrading to CS5.5 for more $$$ to be able to access the functionality.  If the existing extension was stable and produced compliant apk files, I can't deduce any other logical reason.

And in summary that's what is disappointing, being a long standing Macromedia / Adobe customer (back as far as Director 3, Flash 3 and Photoshop 3) .

To be clear my perspective on the discussion isn't about your upgrade cycles, nor base pricing models  - it is solely about why Adobe has removed the extension and functionality from their existing customers.

Regards

Chris

P.S. I appreciate the different release cycles for the player and toolset, but my point was I assume that future releases of the toolset will enable greater leveraging of the low level GPU access - yes that is an exciting prospect.

• 15. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                                      helenthegreat_2011 Level 1

Thanks everyone for your replies. I posted the original question but have been ill the last week and couldn't get to read all the replies. Still no definitive answer from Adobe though, at least not one that actually answers our question.

Adobe, why was the extension which was available not so long ago now unavailable?

And

Can you now make this extension available again so that us Android developers can get on with our projects?

I understand that Adobe wants to keep it's customers happy and also that it won't please everyone but perhaps until the new release goes out this one teeny, tiny little extension can be made available again. If adobe users then decide to upgrade when the new release comes out, because of other amazing functionality that this new version comes with, then so be it. By doing this, Adobe you keep your android developers happy and so are more likely to keep them as customers.

Come on Adobe you're really getting a bad reputation on this one. No matter what excuse you give, us developers will assume it is all $$$ related.

Also please answer the original questions which I have posted again above.

Thanks

• 16. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution

Thanks for replying Jun.

However, it doesn't answer the original question.

In response to

1 - It takes some time to mass produce/package/ship the products.

The extension was once available and therefore I have to assume still exists somewhere in Adobe's vaults so there is no problem with time to produce this one.

2  - 4. Some decision Adobe makes may not make sense to everyone.  It is a  very hard job to try and make everyone happy.  Sometimes, to make some  people happy, it leaves others confused or unhappy.

Well. this one would be very simple. To make us huge and growing number of android developers very happy provide a service i.e. the extension that already exists, to us again.

Think of it this way...

4. Not everyone wants a new upgrade either they just want a tiny but of functionality which was cruelly taken away for no aparent reason

Thanks and waiting for a response.

Helen

• 17. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                                          HenryGeorge

surely a whole bunch of people on here must have the .zxp file just lying on there desktop? Could someone not just upload it and post a link?

• 18. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                                            IHelpU Level 1

Like I said before, it is very hard to make everyone happy; this does not just means customers.

We can't leave things posted on labs forever. Things in labs were never meant to be free (except for Flash Player related things since Adobe does not sell that).

Here's the tough situation: we can post experimental things temporary on labs for a temporary time, or not post it at all.

We want people to be able to create Android apps as soon as possible.  People who had a chance to get it during that time will get it before everyone else are happy; and those who are late ... well we did our best without breaking the rules.

It is just unfortunate that not everyone understands the situation and things we are trying to do for our customers despite external forces.

I have to be very careful with words here and this is the end of the conversation as far as I know.

• 19. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                                              ChrisH Level 1

Hi Jun,

thank you for your frank reply.

Of course I don't expect the community wants an all or nothing response from Adobe or Labs.  And I think Adobe can also appreciate that would be doing more harm than good to both the dev community and brand.  To suggest that this could be an outcome would not be an appropriate resolution.

If, from an organisational or regulatory perspective extensions / plugins, etc hosted on labs can only be available for a finite time, it may be worth also clearly publishing the date when it will be removed from the site, so the community has a clear expectation and idea of those parameters.  If anyone was investigating the extension and could see on the page that it was due to come down by a particular date, I'm sure many would have downloaded it pre-emptively.

Obviously a number of customers have come back to the site when they were ready to download it and found it to no longer be available.  Personally I spent a fair amount of time looking through the tutorials, watching videos, reading the supplementary material, and investigating available options prior to choosing a solution and then attempting to download the extension.  When I went get it, it was no longer there.  And after paying nearly $4,000 for the full commercial master collection only a few months ago, was very disappointed as through Adobe's own videos it stated CS5 can publish apps for Android.

The fact of the matter is for existing customers with CS5 that weren't able to download the extension prior to the arbitrary and unpublished removal date, that is not the case, nor will it ever be until we fork over more cash and upgrade to 5.5.  From other peoples posts it appears they have experienced the same thing - and the same disappointment.

Of course there are going to be a number of things that happen behind the scenes at Adobe and Labs, of which we have no visiblity.  It would be unreasonable for us outside to expect to know the rules you have to work within, but if there are specific rules stating how long an extension will be up for, I don't think it unreasonable to publish a removal date on the same page as the extension download.

All I can suggest is that If an extension has a finite published life and this in known through either corporate guidlines or a legal parameter, it would have been great to see that on the page.  Many of us wouldn't be in this situation if it had been.

Given the number of views and replies to the thread, it was obviously important to some of us.

Personally I have wasted enough time and money investigating it as an option and it's not viable for me to wait at least another 2 months prior to having a solution (i.e. the release of 5.5).

Jun, thank you taking the time to respond.  Please don't take people expressing their frustration on the forum and asking the company, Adobe, to do something as a personal attack.  I think people are mindful enough to realise that the devs creating the extensions and contributing to the labs and dev community, are not the ones that would mandate its removal.

Regards

Chris

• 20. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution

Right,

Chris I'm in the exact same situation as you and it is very frustrating. So, I'm going to go find it somewhere else on the web. It must be downloadable from somewhere. When I find it I'll post the link here if that helps.

I think finding information from the corporate machine that is Adobe is probably pointless since they don't seem to care that much. It's all about the $$$ it would seem.

Plus I work in education and plan to teach android development to my classes next year. I certainly won't be recommending Flash to the next generation of up and coming students.

Hopefully will find a solution soon though without forking out more money.

• 22. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                                                  ChrisH Level 1

For those keeping track of this thread...

As sad as it is to say, for Android development I'm currently looking at Corona (http://www.anscamobile.com/) as an immediate alternative.  It appears relatively straight forward and also appears Flash experience friendly.  I have downloaded it today and Notepad++ for some trial development.

The site also contains articles on how to port flash development to Corona.

I thought the video here was impressive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMZ7R92glQ4&feature=player_embedded)

I saw someone earlier mentioned Titanium Appcelerator, but I was scared off from this as an alternative due to some scathing reviews online.

I hope this helps someone, at least until CS5.5 hits the market.  I'm not waiting at this stage though and will be trialling Corona as a solution in the mean time.

Best Regards

Chris

• 23. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                                                    sasuke2910

Hey guys, after emailing around for a while I've had someone send me a the extension, I'd like to post it, but I don't know if Adobe would like that. :/

So go ahead and email me at dante22_22@msn.com and I'll send you it.

As far as I'm aware I'm doing nothing wrong by doing this, if I am breaking some kind of rule someone tell me.

• 24. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                                                      sasuke2910 Level 1

Ok, so wow. Now I've discovered that I also need an Air runtime "AIR 2.5 Runtime - Device [For Eclair]" anyone know where I can get this or any of the other versions?

• 25. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                                                        HenryGeorge Level 1

Hi,The AIR 2.5 runtime is now available on the Android market for free download however I think its now been updated to AIR 2.6 for use with Android 2.2. Hope this helps! good luck with creating some apps!regards-Henry

Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 10:34:34 -0600

To: henry.alderslade@live.co.uk

Subject: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution

Ok, so wow. Now I've discovered that I also need an Air runtime "AIR 2.5 Runtime - Device " anyone know where I can get this or any of the other versions?

>

• 26. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                                                          canonis

Does anyone on this post have the Flash CS5 extension for Android .apk Files?

Please send me a link.  I am very upset at Adobe for their failure to update their website and provide more information.

• 27. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                                                            sasuke2910 Level 1

Send me an email at dante22_22@msn.com I still have it.

You can export to Android using CS5.5, so they've removed the extention from the site to force you to update, I'd think they'd be quite upset if I posted it for all to get.

• 29. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                                                              whats up123

Here's a link to the file:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3rfnr3drafvw3ww/flashpro_extensionforair_p2_112210.zxp

Type that in your browser, then "blam"! There it is. Good luck to you all.

2 people found this helpful
                                                              • 30. Re: Flash CS5 extensions for android unavailable from adobe?? anyone know solution
                                                                wilsen

i need a help, my flash pro CS5 cant instal that extension, eror massage is "package is invalid" please help me solve that problem...