2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2011 2:18 PM by Mikela 1983

basic format issue

Mikela 1983 Level 1

Hi,

I'm a newbie to video editting so please be patient with me. I've searched forums for answers but only got confused.

I'm using a Panasonic camcoder model AG-HMC41E. Files from it are saved in MTS format.My goal is simple: edit single files by adding some AE stuff, and combine to one video.

First thing - AE CS4 won't import my MTS files. I am able to convert them using i.e. Emicsoft MTS converter but don't know to which format. I've read that it would be best if it was losless one...? Please advise what video format would be best to edit in AE.

I've also read that Adobe Media Encoder can convert MTS files but no success here. When I try to select them I get 'not supported format' error message.

Another thing - exporting from AE. I will try to use Premiere Pro to combine editet videos. Should I just  export them from AE using AdobePremierePro project export? Is this simple as that or should I know something more?

So, It would be great if someone can guide me through work flow dealing with MTS files.

I'm fully aware about massive amount of info regarding those format isuues but still... very very confused.

Once more, I'm sorry for my ignorance, and hope find some answers here.

Thanks!

Mikela

• 1. Re: basic format issue
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          I've also read that Adobe Media Encoder can convert MTS files but no success here.

As is to be expected. AME and AE share the same code libraries (MediaCore) for dealing with such stuff, and what one can't, the otehr cannot do eitehr. CS4 not importing AVCHD/ H.264 from specific camera models is a known issue and I'm afraid otehr than converting it with otehr programs, the only solution would be to upgrade to CS5.

Another thing - exporting from AE. I will try to use Premiere Pro to combine editet videos. Should I just  export them from AE using AdobePremierePro project export? Is this simple as that or should I know something more?

You will need to render the footage or use Dynamic link. Poject export woul retain the structure, but the content would not show up. Generally consider your workflows on a broader basis. I've written some considerations up in this thread, but if you do a search, you will no doubt come up with some more.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: basic format issue
            Mikela 1983 Level 1

Hi Mylenium,

Thanks for your reply.

I can identify my biggest problem now - don't know what video format will be best to export from AVCHD.

Which one would be loseless or preserve most quality? I've tried with avi container but 'the best export' is far from best.

Thank you in advance for reply,

M