1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 6, 2011 10:51 PM by shooding2011

sendToNearest not working

shooding2011

//I was trying to send message to a peer named "collector".

//I have read some documents online and some said there should be a random part in the message object

// , and therefore i'm using a random string as the message id.

var message:Object = new Object();
      message.destination = netGroup.convertPeerIDToGroupAddress("collector");
      message.id = Helper.generateRandomString(32);
      message.msg = "Hello! my peer ID is john1234";
      netGroup.sendToNearest(message, message.destination);

// Also, every peer helps to forward the message if not his, doing the following

case "NetGroup.SendTo.Notify":

if(event.info.fromLocal == true){
               // We have reached final destination
               trace("Received Message: "+event.info.message.msg);
               writeText("Received Message: "+event.info.message.msg);
          }else{
          // Forwarding
               writeText("Not mine.");
               netGroup.sendToNearest(event.info.message, event.info.message.destination);
          }

//The above code is not working, WHY?

//I have tried posting and it works. But i prefer directed routing instead of flooding.

• 1. Re: sendToNearest not working
          Michael Thornburgh Adobe Employee

"collector" isn't a peerID.  the peerID is a 32 digit hex string.  your peerID is your NetConnection.nearID.  NetGroup.convertPeerIDToGroupAddress() only takes hex strings with an even number of digits; i suspect message.destination is empty or null, or it could be SHA256(<empty>) (i'd have to fire up Flash Builder to check :).

also, in order to route messages recursively through a group (necessary when there isn't a full mesh), NetGroup.receiveMode must be set to NetGroupReceiveMode.NEAREST.

postings must be unique; directed routing messages don't need to be unique.

correct operation of directed routing requires a correct ring topology. "correct ring topology" means that for EVERY member of the group:

member.nextIncreasingPeer.nextDecreasingPeer == member.nextDecreasingPeer.nextIncreasingPeer ( == member)

RTMFP Groups try to maintain this topology, which might not be possible in the Real Internet with NATs and firewalls and stuff.

1 person found this helpful