6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2011 9:49 AM by joe bloe premiere

Exporting

AnnCha11

Hello,

Can anyone tell me whether there are any quality benefits of exporting using the stand alone media encoder rather than exporting directly?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Exporting
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

There are others who are far more qualified to answer your question
          than I, but in the meantime here is a post with a lot of good information.

Not Getting the Quality You Expect From the Adobe Media Encoder?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Exporting
            AnnCha11 Level 1

Thanks. That's useful to know.

At the moment though, I'm not using the Mercury Playback Engine. Maybe when I update my Mac.

But I guess if quality differences have only become an issue when using the MPE, there was no such difference without it ...?

• 3. Re: Exporting

I will have to defer to others who know much more

about what is happening "under the hood".

• 4. Re: Exporting
                Blue_Devil1 Level 2

Bill Gehrke posted a thread on July 18, 2010 where he mentioned that encoding Mpeg2- DVD in CS5 was much faster (2x as fast), if one closed Premiere and opened the free standing Adobe Media Encoder and encoded from there.  Apparently H.264 encoding speed is about the same either way and .avi takes twice as long in the free standing AME.

Unfortunately, even though I've tried to search for his name, for some reason (probably my not using the search module correctly), I can't bring up the link.

Also, I'm not sure if this has been changed by Adobe.

John Rich

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Exporting
                  AnnCha11 Level 1

Thanks. I was wondering what a difference in speed meant.

I've been closing Premiere and rendering MOV in the Media Encoder and have found it much slower than exporting direct.

I assumed this meant it would be better quality in the encoder, but then I heard that the encoder is designed to be used with Premiere still running, so I wondered if that meant it would be slower anyway, and that its speed had no influence on quality...

• 6. Re: Exporting
                    ...even though I've tried to search for his name, for some reason (probably my not using the search module correctly), I can't bring up the link.

The forum search function is broken again.