3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2007 8:44 PM by kglad

The Display List - AS3

SymTsb Level 2
      Finally got my copy of Flash Pro CS3 last week and I am finally playing around with AS3. Typical training project... Convert a simple, older AS2 project over to AS3 (in this case my personal site). I've been coding AS2 in a OOP model for some time now so getting used to the new packages and class features wasn't much of an issue.

In my old file, I figured out preloaders and the basic jist of the display list and using addChild. I'm running into issues though with handling a custom form class I wrote not long ago and getting it migrated over...

I can get the window for the form drawn quite easily. It was actually a piece of cake with the new functions from the graphics package.

THANK YOU ADOBE FOR THE SIMPLIFIED ROUNDED RECTANGLE FUNCTION!!!

In AS2, you would create an empty container to hold the contents of a group of items (in my case a form). When I created an empty movie clip in the container, the coordinates were relative to that container. I'm trying to understand the display list so that when I create the text fields and form box titles etc, their (x,y) are relative to the window I created. As of right now, they are relative to the main shell. Does this make sense?

In AS2 it would be something like this....

movieClipName.createEmptyMovieClip blah blah blah

Is there a similar method when using addChild in AS3 so that everything I create is positioned relative to the window calling it?