13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2011 9:10 AM by Klaus-Eiperle

Todd Kopriva - Request from FCP editor ready to switch

lasvideo Level 4

Hi Todd:
      As an editor for 30  years (CMX, Avid, Avid DS, FCP) I am always  looking for the best apps  to use in my work. After Effects and Photoshop  have always been at the  top of the list. After seeing the great work  done on PP ( and getting a  sense of where FCP is going), more than ever I  am considering   switching.
      If you search the web, you will see I have been  unsatisfied with the  third party support for PP, especially when it  comes to transitions.  They have a definite place with certain kinds of  projects I work on.
      I have tried to act as a catalyst in  encouraging developers currently  supporting FCP to support PP. This  includes Noise Industries (FX  Factory) and  Klaus Eiperle (a German  developer who make CGM plugins)
      http://www.cgm-online.com/eiperle/cgm_screenshots_v4_e.html).
      Both vendors products would fill a void in PP capabilities. Klaus   expressed interest but said he had no contacts with Adobe. Please help   me strengthen PP's position in the market by enhancing this lacking  area.

I have done extensive research and testing of the  current plugins that  involve transitions (i.e.Sapphire, SpiceMaster,New  Blue) and found them  to be severely lacking in several areas. These  include shortcomings like  pedestrian effects, bad coding causing slow  rendering (to accomadate multiplatform use), limited options  for  control and variation of the transition or exorbitant pricing for a   very few effects.

Anything you could do will be appreciated.

• 2. Re: Todd Kopriva - Request from FCP editor ready to switch
          lasvideo Level 4

Thanks Colin. I forwarded the link to the SDK to CGM in Germany who would be developing PP support for their current FCP only product.

• 3. Re: Todd Kopriva - Request from FCP editor ready to switch
            Colin Brougham Level 6

I'd be interested to see what comes out of it; the potential user base can be a driving factor. As an example, a new option for frameserving from CS5 is being developed as a result of user demand. I've helped out in that effort (at least from the concept standpoint), and it's been rewarding to see features you've requested actually make it into a usable tool.

Good luck!

• 4. Re: Todd Kopriva - Request from FCP editor ready to switch
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I think that Colin has given the information that you need for Premiere Pro plug-in development. If you need anything else, answer back with specific questions on the Premiere Pro SDK forum.

We are certainly happy to have more people contributing to the ecosystem of third-party plug-ins that work with Premiere Pro.

• 5. Re: Todd Kopriva - Request from FCP editor ready to switch
                lasvideo Level 4

Thanks Todd. Obviously I am not a developer, but I will act as a catalyst in the process.

• 6. Re: Todd Kopriva - Request from FCP editor ready to switch
                  lasvideo Level 4

The last thing I will add to this dialog is this response from Noise Industries. When I asked them about developing for PP CS5 this was their response...

" Hi Tom,

Thanks for the recommendation and encouragement. As Adobe itself recommends, the best way to write visual effects plug-ins in Premiere Pro is to do so via the After Effects SDK. Premiere's own API for filters and transitions is very limited and outdated. Unfortunately not much positive can be said for Premiere's support for AE plug-ins as well. As it stands, we would be unable to ship plug-ins for Premiere Pro that would have the same functionality as they provide now inside AE, Final Cut, or Motion. We hope Adobe will improve the host, or that we'll be able to find a reasonable compromise in the future.

Regards,
                  Gabe
                  Noise Industries, LLC"

And yet another vendor (CGM) was quite enthusiastic about the SDK and supporting PP CS5. Im confused about the extreme difference in the two responses.

• 7. Re: Todd Kopriva - Request from FCP editor ready to switch
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Yes, the creation of effect plug-ins for Premiere Pro is done using the same API as is used for After Effects. Premiere Pro doesn't support the entire After Effects API, but it does support a whole lot of it. Several dozen of the effects that we ship with Premiere Pro began their lives as After Effects plug-ins, as a matter of fact.

Our SDK engineering lead is out today, but I've asked him to weigh in on this thread when he gets back.

• 8. Re: Todd Kopriva - Request from FCP editor ready to switch
                      lasvideo Level 4

Thanks for your time and attention, Todd. I will be beta testing the CGM plugins (which could be a wonderful addition to third party support for PP transitions) in the near future and will keep you apprised of their progress.

• 9. Re: Todd Kopriva - Request from FCP editor ready to switch
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

I'm not quite sure how the programming of such things works, but do encourage the author to make both Mac and Windows compatible versions. However it shakes out, it'll be nice to have some more entries into the marketplace, particularly if they're not the same ol', same ol', and they're reasonably priced.

• 10. Re: Todd Kopriva - Request from FCP editor ready to switch
                          ProMaxed

Agree on FC Studio, I'm making moves in migrating over (I have added Production Premium as an alternative NLE to FCP). This is due to the fact that A/FCP is not making any great strides in advancement; i.e. no AVCHD support, FCP is not even native 64 for rendering, hence, I cannot use the 8 cores I have to render in FCP. Adobe's MPE also seems to scream. Apl is more interested these days in iOS iPhns, ipds iiiiiii..... nothing pro anymore. I bought Shake, they discontinued it before I even got a handle on it. I'm sorry to say that I believe that in the next few years I'm going to regret the vast amount of $ I've dumped into Apl's FCS.

J.

• 11. Re: Todd Kopriva - Request from FCP editor ready to switch
                            mdubuque Level 1

I am a new but very serious user of Premiere Pro and would look forward to such plug-ins being available sooner rather than later.

I have only been editing in PrPro for six weeks and editing video generally for less than six months, but do wish already that there was a little more tweaking available on the transitions that I use such as cross dissolve. 

For example, how about a plug in that allows me to vignette or mask certain parts of the image and cross dissolve that portion at a different rate than others, allowing me to create a lingering, longing effect on a cross dissolve to music?

The concept behind this post is that if beginning users are also interested in this type of plug-in, the anticipated market and revenue streams from such a product may be currently understated.

Matt Dubuque

• 12. Re: Todd Kopriva - Request from FCP editor ready to switch
                              Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Hi lasvideo,

It's great to have you working to attract new third-party developers to the Creative Suite platform.  As Colin mentioned, the SDK forums are a fine place for developers to ask general questions on using the SDKs.  If needed, my email is also in the PPro SDK PDF documentation right at the end of the first chapter.

For developing effects plug-ins, the After Effects SDK is the recommended route.  For video transitions that can be applied between two clips, the Premiere Pro SDK has a transition API.

Regarding Noise Industries, we do have one specific feature request from them to support multiple PiPLs (and therefore multiple plug-ins) in a single binary.  This is not a dealbreaker for most developers, but perhaps this is more important for their needs, or perhaps their product roadmap is different than other developers.  As Todd mentioned, _many_ other effects, both internal and third-party, are developed using the After Effects API.  And version over version, we continue to improve upon the AE API support in Premiere Pro.

Has CGM worked with proDAD (another German company that developers Premiere Pro plug-ins) in the past?  Because some of the CGM effects look similar to proDAD Adorage.  One of their plug-in sets is even called "CGM Power".

Cheers,

Zac

• 13. Re: Todd Kopriva - Request from FCP editor ready to switch
                                Klaus-Eiperle Level 1

Hi Zac,

yes, I have developed one plug-in package and two effect packages which are sold through ProDAD. The plug-in package was the 'CGM DVE Vol.1' in 1998 and the effect packages followed later.  I think, the 'Adorage' and 'ANIM Jewels' product lines are addressed to consumers and the CGM DVE product lines are for professionals.

All the best,

Klaus