11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2011 3:33 PM by mdubuque

Very Poor Resolution in Titles

mdubuque Level 1

Hello,

my titles are such poor quality when I view them in encore as i prepare to build a dvd.

very disappointing.  Can't be described as professional in any way.  Unusable.

My original source material in premiere pro was 24p, 1920 x 1080.  File was imported into Encore in Standard Def format, smaller and apparently still 24p.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt

• 1. Re: Very Poor Resolution in Titles
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have replies in your Encore posting

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/835694?tstart=0
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Very Poor Resolution in Titles
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Matt,

Several problems in your workflow with the current capabilities of PR. You are going from HD to SD. That will of course lead to degradation of your titles in terms of resolution. You probably need those titles during editing in order to place them at the exact location you want and these is no way you can currently designate a track to be exported as a subtitle track to Encore. I have repeatedly filed feature requests to that extend. Maybe you should do the same. With hard baked titles from PR there is no way to turn them on or off in Encore. Life would be so much easier if one could just export a designated track from PR as a subtitle track with the correct timecodes to EN and it would likely solve your subtitle problem about resolution, because there would not be any downrezzing involved.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Very Poor Resolution in Titles
              mdubuque Level 1

Thanks John and Harm.  Excellent feedback in Encore post.  Still have a few questions over there.

Harm, I do have a substantial portion of this that I could do as subtitles.  Is that a superior approach generally to some of my text I want to present for the reader to view? 

Should I apply subtitles in Encore?  Is that a coherent approach to presenting written material on the screen?

thanks, I'm getting up to speed here.

Matt

• 4. Re: Very Poor Resolution in Titles
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Matt,

True Subtitles are a function in Encore for either a DVD/BD Video, or for an authored Flash DVD.

The closest that one can come in PrPro would be Lower-thirds, which would be burned into the Video on Export.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Very Poor Resolution in Titles
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Matt,

I cannot recall if I posted this ARTICLE in the Encore thread, and if I did, I apologize.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Very Poor Resolution in Titles
                    mdubuque Level 1

Thanks Bill.  I'd like "great" titles as the article describes it.  Is it impossible to obtain great titles if I encode it in DV format in Encore? 

I don't know of any other options for this one festival that insists on it being in standard definition.

Difficult choice because I have big hopes for some complex titles.

Thanks it's a great article, very very helpful....

Matt

• 7. Re: Very Poor Resolution in Titles
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, SD is, well, er-r, not that great, at least by the standards set by BD. Once, we accepted the SD Titles, but now that we've become accustomed to BD and HD output, it does look rather bleak. Still, when one does all that they can, they do not look that bad. This is especially true, if the DVD-Video is played on a good, up-rezzing BD/DVD player hooked to an HD TV set.

If you are doing an HD Project, that is then down-rezzed to SD, things might ever be at their maximum. Such is the plight of down-rezzing.

I think that there might have been a link posted to Jeff Bellune's HD to SD tutorial, and that is about as good as it gets, if one uses a good font, with enough weight and sans-serif, of an adequate size.

It's too bad that Video cannot directly use Vector Art, but that is the "nature of the beast."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Very Poor Resolution in Titles
                        mdubuque Level 1

Thanks Bill, I marked your answer as correct.

Two final questions.

What does "BD" stand for below?

What does the word "enough weight" mean when you say "good font with enough weight"?

Thanks for all your help.  Light at the end of the tunnel!

Matt

• 9. Re: Very Poor Resolution in Titles
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

BD = BluRay Disc. You will also see it as BR, and possibly BRD.

For "weight," this is the thickness of the fonts' strokes. This could be just by design, or Bold, Ultra-Bold or Black. Some fonts have weight by their design, and some allow for greater weight with other attributes.

I end up using a lot of Alburtus, Arial, Berthold, Franklin Gothic, Gil Sans, Kozuka, Helvetica and Myriad Titles, and my choice is often based on the fact that I have so many options in most of those families.

In Extensis Suitcase, I have a Group just for Video work, and many of those also appear in several "client Groups."

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - typography in Video is not nearly half as much fun as graphic layout work, but that is just life.

• 10. Re: Very Poor Resolution in Titles