14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2011 10:27 AM by the_wine_snob

PPRO - Does NOT delete unused Preview Files

AtonMusic Level 2

Hi,

Do this:

1) Make sure you know where Premiere Pro CS5 saves its preview files (Rendered Files)

2) Have some clips in your time line...

3) Add effects to them so you need to render

4) Do a render

5) You can now watch the timeline in real time. Fine.

6) Look into the Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files

7) You can see that the rendered file is there. In my case it was 5 GB worth of storage

8) Now go into Sequence settings and select another Preview code.

PPRO will prompt you that it will have to delete all preview files and that this cannot be undone. Click OK.

Thing is - PPRO does NOT delete your preview file. It will sit there in the preview folder eating away on your valuable HDD space.

I love premiere pro and adobes products but it is all those small things that ARENT working that separates adobe from being professional instead prosumer.

Take AVID... Yeah I know clumsy as a bugger but you can rely on such things to work...

I the Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files I found preview files from numerous of projects that I had thought were deleted.

I went on the 'look' as I was wondering why I had no HDD space left...

This is pretty unacceptable !

• 1. Re: PPRO - Does NOT delete unused Preview Files
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Sequence | Delete Render Files

or

Sequence | Delete Work Area Render Files

Is that more acceptable?

-Jeff

• 2. Re: PPRO - Does NOT delete unused Preview Files
            AtonMusic Level 2

Hi Jeff,

thanks for chiming in...

I know that I can do that. However, the unacceptable issue is that unfortunately I can not rely on the messages that Premiere is giving me.

If THIS apply to ONE message - how many OTHER messages go I need to spy on to make sure that premiere does what it says it does.

Such leaves me with an uneasy gut and makes me wanna open AVID Media Composer instead.

That is where I come from. But YOUR app is simply put a billion times more intuitive than AMC. Therefor with each version of PPro I check on it

and see if reliability improves. Which is does.. But there are simply too much BAD STUFF going on under the hood..

Example

1) Assume we want to render a long time line resulting in a 10GB preview file.

2) Half way through render, you realize that you have forgotten something (At this point your render file is about 5GB

3) Click cancel in the render-process window.

4) PPro cancels.

Now, In my LOGIC - PPRO should DELETE what it had tried to render. But it does NOT. And the Sequence | Delete Work Area Render Files is grayed out.

That leaves us with a half-rendered preview in the folder. And might I add a preview WHICH the user thinks aint there. For all I know this file would remain in that folder indefinitely. And THAT too (among others) is unacceptable. Dont you think ?

I love the adobe Suite Idea... But there are too many aspects which have simply not been thought through.

Every time I test a new CS.X - I feel that it has great new features but I feel like am BETA testing the software rather than using it.

Not so with AVIDs products. Clumsy in comparison? YES... But reliability is none+ultra in a professional environment.

That among others are reasons why movies like Avatar was NOT handled by premiere pro. They could have been (probably) if only the creators had trust in app they are using. And PPRo does not exactly convey trust in its capabilities.

At least in my opinion.

If cutting Avatar in PPRO you would have had to create WATCH-SCRIPTS to see if Premiere Pro was indeed handling its preview the way it was supposed to ;-)

• 3. Re: PPRO - Does NOT delete unused Preview Files
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              And THAT is unacceptable. Dont you think ?

Honestly, it is such a minor issue that does not interfere at all with the operation of the program or the ability to get work done that refusing to use the program on this basis is just a tad...strange.

• 4. Re: PPRO - Does NOT delete unused Preview Files
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Boy, I just do not see the issue here. The preview files just have never been an issue to me, and even with some Timelines, that run many hours, and with segements that need to be Rendered dozens of times. However, that is just me, and I have tons of HDD real estate. I have other things to worry about, but to each their own.

Hunt

• 5. Re: PPRO - Does NOT delete unused Preview Files
                  AtonMusic Level 2

JSS1138 wrote:

And THAT is unacceptable. Dont you think ?

Honestly, it is such a minor issue that does not interfere at all with the operation of the program or the ability to get work done that refusing to use the program on this basis is just a tad...strange.

with all due...... Jim,

I dont think you understood the essence of brew...

I would not, not want work with premiere pro because of ONE small issue. But they add up, you know.

It all depends on what you are used to I guess. If you have been with Premiere Pro the past 5 years, well then you have gotten

used to slag. And that might suit you fine. And nothing wrong with that.

However, you can feel that adobe is pushing PPro a lot to get in the door where the big boys roll. But to get there you need stability.

I have been using AVIDs (Digidesign) Pro Tools since a loooooong time. (Audio DAW) in my recording studio. Now, Pro Tools might not always have the newest features and the flashiest design. But it WORKS. I never shut down my macs. ProTools neither. It has been running for the past 4 months now with no reboot. And it is never sick at sea.

now, many other DAWs wanna challenge the "Industry Standard" which protools is. They try sooooo hard with lots of fancy features here and there and on the specs those features are awesome. Only problem is... They dont always work as expected. In fact lots of those features stand a 50/50 % chance of working correctly. Those DAWs however are much more intuitive that Protools and the learning curve isn't as steep but in a professional environment when you HAVE to rely on the application living up it its promised features you cannot allow a software to go AWOL all the time. And Premiere 'Pro' reminds me of those other Audio DAWs.

I dont really care whether and issue is minor or major.... If ANY feature does NOT work like advertised and the company cant seem to fix it... Then I am feeling un easy about using that software because all that such behavior reflects is:

HOW MANY other features arent really working as expected......

Adobe puts out a new suite every 16 months of so... Perhaps they should make it 24 months, a few less fancy application logos and therefor FEATURES that WORK . 100%...

Then they would be standing a chance with the big boys...

PS - I know quite a FEW AVID users.... Most are VERY interested in premiere pro but their main concern is - reliability

And they are right !!!!

• 6. Re: PPRO - Does NOT delete unused Preview Files
                    AtonMusic Level 2

Bill,

let us assume that you have done your homework and learned that a 4HDD RAID0, partitioned to use just 16GB of the outermost RIM of each drive (fastest area of the HDD & making up a the first RAID partition)  is VERY VERY fast. That is what I have configured as scratch and preview drive. If you do the math 4x16 amounts to 64... And THAT, is not a lot.

Sure, I could stroll down and spend $100 and get my self one of those stupid LaCie drives(Power supply dies within the first year) with 2Gb and use that as a preview drive. But I like SPEED and that aint SPEED. Beside I only purchase server-grade HDDs. Last a lot longer!

So this issue to me is HUGE.

PS - HDD Speed is everything when doing NLE video. That way you can cut at fulreZ with an uncompressed codec. And your CPU never exceeds 4% load. The drives are doing the work and CPU is chilling at the ocean as it doesnt have to deal with en/decoding!

BTW. The throughput of that outer rim RAID is amounting to me copying (I have 2 identical RAID0 - one for render one for playback) 26 GB in less than a minute. Try that with a 2GB firewire drive!

• 7. Re: PPRO - Does NOT delete unused Preview Files
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure how you are so affected with your RAID. While none is in RAID, my 6 1TB SATA II's do not show any effort with many multiple Projects and tons of Render files. Maybe you need to rethink your I/O? Even with one of those Projects at over 9 hours, and hundreds of Renders, I have no issues.

If they are of no consequence on my piddling system, I cannot imagine that you would be so affected, but could be wrong.

Still, if it's an issue to you, then AVID would be the better choice.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: PPRO - Does NOT delete unused Preview Files
                        AtonMusic Level 2

Hi Bill,

the_wine_snob wrote:

Not sure how you are so affected with your RAID. While none is in RAID, my 6 1TB SATA II's do not show any effort with many multiple Projects and tons of Render files. Maybe you need to rethink your I/O? Even with one of those Projects at over 9 hours, and hundreds of Renders, I have no issues.

Perhaps I do... I am always open to new thoughts.

If you dont mind sharing your I/O and workflow in a few sentences, I'd be happy to read and think about it ;-)

What I mean by workflow is: Codec, I/O etc...

Thanks for your input

Morten

• 9. Re: PPRO - Does NOT delete unused Preview Files
                          shooternz Level 6
                          That among others are reasons why movies like Avatar was NOT handled by premiere pro. They could have been (probably) if only the creators had trust in app they are using. And PPRo does not exactly convey trust in its capabilities.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/showcase/index.cfm?casestudyid=837897&event=casestudydetail&l oc=en_us

Interoperability for streamlined production
                          As sequences came together, the editorial department brought them into Adobe Premiere Pro software to see the flow from shot to shot and gauge timing. “With Adobe Premiere Pro CS4, we were able to export files from Avid and import them into Adobe Premiere Pro without any loss of information or metadata, significantly reducing the weight on editorials’ shoulders,” says Murtha. “We were essentially working on cuts in parallel with Cameron, without him even knowing it.”

• 10. Re: PPRO - Does NOT delete unused Preview Files
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Morten,

My Projects are all still SD, as that is what my clients need, and have shot.

Here is my workflow in abstract:

1. Import or Capture
                            2. Import other Assets
                            3. Do rough edit
                            4. For intricate Effects and Keyframing - Render as is necessary
                            5. Do CC, and Render again
                            6. Do all Audio editing with PrPro and/or Audition (about as close to DAW as I get)
                            7. Export reference file for scoring
                            8. Score the Project in Sonicfire Pro 5
                            9. Export, as is required - usually to Encore for DVD authoring
                            10. Archive Project, when client signs off on final
                            11. Test archive
                            12. Delete the root folder, unless that is the "client folder," and then delete the Project folder

On any given day, I probably have 3 - 5 Projects on the workstation, and right now, two are really beyond Feature Film range, just due to their Duration - 7 and 8 hours respectively, with up to 20 Sequences and tons of Assets.

My Scratch Disks/Media Cache are all Same As Project, though there is a little performance hit there. Still, it makes housekeeping much easier.

In the beginning, I often will have the entire Project, including the Scratch Disks/Media Cache on FW-800 externals, as I often start off on the laptop on the pool deck, but almost always finish on the workstation, and then I will just Copy over the entire Project's folder structure to an internal, usually E:\ one of the 1TB SATA II's.

To date, I have had zero performance issues, but do remember that my Projects are all SD, and usually with DV-AVI Type II files, so no H.264/AVCHD material.

Not sure that helps, but that is the normal workflow for me.

Good luck, and hope that is what you are looking for.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: PPRO - Does NOT delete unused Preview Files
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              Most are VERY interested in premiere pro but their main concern is - reliability

And they are right !!!!

I can't agree.  I find Premiere Pro CS5 incredibly stable.

No software is perfect, works every time for every user.  That includes Avid's.  Just go to any Avid forum and you'll see the various issues people have.

If you have other problems with Premiere Pro that keep you from trying it, I might see your point here.  But so far, you've only specified this one, which I still find minor enough to safely ignore and still get the work done.  (Possibly even faster than the Avid boys due to Premiere Pro's 64 bit nature, native editing of media and Dynamic Link.)

• 12. Re: PPRO - Does NOT delete unused Preview Files
                                AtonMusic Level 2

Shooternz,

in the Audio of the Video you saw fit to post a link to, the guy says "We used PPRO to import AIFF (Audio Files) from the AVID....

You must have overheard that...

Nice.... For an NLE to be used as an Audio DAW.....

I thought an NLE's prime was to be used to cut and assemble video shots.

To me it sounded more like.... "We HAD to mention PPRO somehow... so we "cut in" that we used it as an audio DAW..."

They gave props to Photoshop and AE.... PPRO, in comparison, they *****-slapped in the face... Thats the way I heard it.

If you personally think that they gave PPro the same props as PS and AE... Then I cant argue with that but I did NOT think so.

And according to other interviews that I have seen which were NOT biased and ALSO mentioned OTHER than adobe apps... The cutters themselves stated

"NO other NLE(Pertaining to AVID) could have done THAT job"

• 13. Re: PPRO - Does NOT delete unused Preview Files
                                  AtonMusic Level 2

Bill,

thanks for sharing that... Much appreciated.

Mind telling me which intermediate codec you are using ?

Thanks

Morten

• 14. Re: PPRO - Does NOT delete unused Preview Files
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The only time that I use an intermediate CODEC is when I need to migrate a file to another program, and then I use Lagarith Lossless. I do that, when going to, say AE. Though my older suite has the first version of ADL, it is not what exists now, so I just bypass that, and use the intermediates.

Good luck,

Hunt