4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2011 1:27 PM by ProMaxed

Timeline to External / Source Monitor

ProMaxed

I am presently migrating to CS5 Prod. Prem. Just recently installed all apps.

In Prem. Pro, How can I get the footage placed in the sequence timeline to gang to the Source Monitor Panel and/or output to my external monitor? From the source monitor panel, I can select the sequence, but when I manually scrub back and forth thru the sequence using the timeline there is no output to the external tv monitor, only to the desktop program monitor within the PP workspace.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm sure I'll have many more questions. I'm migrating over from A/ FCS3.

- John

• 1. Re: Timeline to External / Source Monitor
          Colin Brougham Level 6

In the Source or Program Monitor panel, click the Output button (it's the red, green and blue circles that look like a Venn diagram) and go to Playback Settings. In the dialog that appears, click the External Device dropdown and select your monitor; note that you'll need to have it properly set up in your OS.

• 2. Re: Timeline to External / Source Monitor
            ProMaxed Level 1

no go... I can only output to the external monitor through the Source Monitor. When I try to turn off output from the program monitor, I just get a little dialog box saying Turn Off Dropped Frame Warning with a check box and okay button. My output seems to be locked to the Source monitor. I am able to bring up the dialog boxes you spoke of in the Program monitor.

I'm outputting thru a Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDMI/Component/Composit pci card. The card has it's own panel in System Preferences of the OS and is outputting thru HDMI to the external monitor. As I said, I'm able to output from the Source Monitor in PP, but not the Program Monitor in PP. The timeline seems locked to the Program monitor, Is there a way to link the timeline to the Source Monitor, instead of the Program Monitor?

Thanks again,

J.

• 3. Re: Timeline to External / Source Monitor
              Colin Brougham Level 6

I'm outputting thru a Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDMI/Component/Composit pci card.

OK, that's important information that should have been part of the original post. With a BM card, you have to use their sequence presets; that should enable playout through the card.

• 4. Re: Timeline to External / Source Monitor
                ProMaxed Level 1

Thanks Collin. That was the solution. Use the BM presets throughout the workflow. I was also able to modify a couple of the presets and create my own custom BM based presets, which automatically save as "BM Extras".

Thanks again.

J.