13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2011 9:06 AM by John T Smith

OS Crash when rendering project

TrackDaddy Level 1

When I am rendering a project the OS crashes.  It's not a blue screen.  It actually just disappears.  Then entire machine just shuts off.

The event viewer shows Event ID 41 (see event information below).  This is event it s new to the log.

Repro Steps:

- Copy any MTS file from my camera to the desktop (Canon VIXIA HF R21)

- add it to the timeline

- Render the file (render to youtube or locally as an avi)

- The render never completes.  It crashes.  The machine just turns off.  (I was trying to use PRE to create a DV-AVI to edit)

- It seems to fail at a specific step in the process.  Just not sure there is a log someplace for the render.

Additional info.

If I play any MTS file in the time line it flows nicely for about 20-30 seconds.  then the video gets jumpy.

I understand the minimum system requiremetns for HD editing is 4GB Ram.  I see that I have 2GB.

Question?

Is this a problem that I could fix by throwing money at? (obviously that answer is usually yes, but I mean simply adding memory)  I would hate to buy an additional 2-4 GB's of RAM only to find out that was not the problem.

It really feels like a step in the process is writing outside a buffer.  The OS just shuts down at that point.  It's not a reboot.  It just shuts off.  I have to manually restart the machine.

System Info

-----------

Hard Drive

-----------

WD6400AAKS SATA 3 Gb/s,  7200rpm, 16 MB Cache, 640 GB

------------------
      System Information
      ------------------
      Time of this report: 4/7/2011, 20:12:00
      Machine name: IDK
      Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850) (fully patched via Windows Update)
      Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
      System Model: AW011AV-ABA p6250t
      BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/06/09 11:31:10 Ver: 5.39
      Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q8300  @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
      Available OS Memory: 2048MB RAM
      Page File: 1413MB used, 2680MB available
      Windows Dir: C:\Windows
      DirectX Version: DirectX 11
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
      User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
      System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
      DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
      DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

---------------
      Display Devices
      ---------------
      Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series      
      Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
      Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x954F)
      DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
      Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_954F&SUBSYS_16131462&REV_00
      Display Memory: 1274 MB
      Dedicated Memory: 506 MB
      Shared Memory: 767 MB
      Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
      Monitor Name: HP 2159 Series Wide LCD Monitor
      Monitor Model: HP 2159
      Monitor Id: HWP282B
      Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
      Output Type: DVI
      Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,a tiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
      Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1070 (English)
      Driver Version: 8.831.2.0
      DDI Version: 10.1
      Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
      Driver Attributes: Final Retail
      Driver Date/Size: 3/8/2011 21:55:52, 795136 bytes

Event Info

System

-Provider
      [ Name]Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
      [ Guid]{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}
      EventID41
      Version2
      Level1
      Task63
      Opcode0
      Keywords0x8000000000000002

John ...

• 1. Re: OS Crash when rendering project
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AVCHD requires a quad-core CPU - such as an Intel i7 930 - to **effectively** edit - you have a quad, but I'm not familiar with the model

Video editing requires at least 2 hard drives to **effectively** edit 

Only 2Gig of ram, with Win7 64bit, leaves VERY LITTLE for video editing... you are stressing your computer past what it may handle

I use Premiere Pro... but as a general idea...

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built... since the GTX 285 is no longer sold, I would now go with a GTX 460 or whatever is the current "best bang for the buck" - AND I would buy 4Gig-by-3Sticks memory to be able to expand from 12Gig to 24Gig if needed
          For my home hobbyist, family movies (which means that I am not trying to recreate Star Wars with video effects or many layers) AVCHD editing is "as smooth as spreading warm butter on hot toast" (also the MP4 video from wife's Flip camera)
          My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
          1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all programs
          2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video projects
          3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write

• 2. Re: OS Crash when rendering project
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with John T's comments, also see this ARTICLE.

Also, you state that the system restarts, but you do not see a BSOD. Actually, there might be a BSOD, but if you have the OS set to Reboot on Errors, you just might not be seeing it. I would reset the OS to NOT Reboot on Errors, so if there is a BSOD, you will be able to see what is happening, though a BSOD screen can be cryptic to the point of absurdity.

Also see the link on BSOD issues.

How much defragmented, free space do you have on your single, physical HDD? That is often a big issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: OS Crash when rendering project
              TrackDaddy Level 1

I'm primarily doing home hobbyist, family movies.  The 1 minute or so MTS file has zero changes made to it and the machine can't keep up.

Just to clarify, you feel the 2GB of memory is the major limitation?  I'd hate to throw in memory only to find out the processor wont allow me to edit my family movies.  It does have 4 CPU's but it's a Q8300  @ 2.50GHz.

John ...

• 4. Re: OS Crash when rendering project
                TrackDaddy Level 1

Actually, it doesn't reboot.  I have to manually restart the computer.

In the blink of an eye the entire machine turns off.

I'll defrag the drive, good practice regardles.  I'll also give the article a read.

• 5. Re: OS Crash when rendering project
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

A Quad-core should be adequate to edit AVCHD material, though the speed, smoothness and joy might be greatly improved with a newer CPU, such as a an i7-9xx model.

The RAM will be a major limitation, especially with Win7-64-bit, which will use that, just to run itself, leaving very little for the programs.

If one has a large enough Page File (and especially if it's on a fast, separate physical HDD, some of that limitation can possibly be overcome. I would definitely look into establishing a static Page File, as that will take a load off of the OS, trying to dynamically manage the Page File size.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: OS Crash when rendering project
                    TrackDaddy Level 1

Turns out that the additional processor load caused heatsink to melt down.   All 4 procs get pegged at 100% while it renders this could be 20 minutes or even an hour.  The thermal paste melts.  Also the frame that held the heat sink in place cracked from the heat.

We had this computer form 18 months and never really taxed it at this level.  Looks like I am in the market for an aftermarket CPU heatsink if they even make those.

John ..

• 7. Re: OS Crash when rendering project
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

Transcoding will tax a system, and probably as much as almost any other operation.

With a BSOD, heat issues are the # 1 cause, though not the only one.

Hope that the new heatsink will solve the issues. In that article, to which I linked, there is another link to tools. SpeedFan is one of those. Within reason, one's computer cannot run too cool. That is why I always use the largest, most efficient case available, then add every fan possible, plus heatsinks on everything.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: OS Crash when rendering project
                        TrackDaddy Level 1

I really appreciate the help. I succured an additional 2GB of memory.  When I put it in was when I discovered the heatsink issue.

We'll see how things shake out.  The machine in question is my childrens Homework computer.  That may all it ever will be.  May have to spring for my own video editing machine.  But, I hope not.

John ...

• 9. Re: OS Crash when rendering project

I have NONE-ZERO-NO idea what CPU cooler will actually work with your CPU and HP motherboard, so don't rush out and buy this one, but this is what I bought when I built my computer last year

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103057

This one is not as tall as a lot of after market coolers, and cools very well

You will have to find out what brand/model will work with your CPU and HP motherboard

I will say you should get a new/better CPU cooler BEFORE you do any more video work... so you don't kill your CPU

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: OS Crash when rendering project
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

For a CPU cooler, I just pipe the air from my wine cellar (55F) into the case, right over the CPU... Now, I do notice that most of my footage has a Merlot sort of cast... 

Like John T., I added super-cooler onto the CPU (size and clearance had to be calculated carefully), and then ducted one additional fan through the case to it, plus similar for the video card. I never miss a chance to add a fan to a case, and as newer, more efficient (and ofthen quieter) models of fans become available, I upgrade mine.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: OS Crash when rendering project
                              TrackDaddy Level 1

I find that Merlot makes all my video look better. 

I went to Fry's and picked up a $19 heatsink.  It has the machine up and running.  The kids are "Happily" doing their homework again.

I'm now looking for a new machine for editing.  I'll read through some of the posts and see where I'll end up.  Looks like an i9 9xx proc with 6-8 GB of RAM. and two HDD's (OS and Data).  An industrial HVAC system to keep the entire thing cool.

GPU?  I'm sure it's important, I'd try to leverage that processor if I could.  But, PRE doesn't appear to have any settings, but I'm probably just missing something.

I'll dig around those articles and try to pull someting together.

John ....

• 12. Re: OS Crash when rendering project
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

The GPU, so long as it's an nVidia, or ATI/AMD, with good driver support is not that important. As you have found, PrE does not rely that heavily on the GPU, though it does interface very intensively with the driver.

Wish that we had a crystal ball, as the only considerations on GPU choice would be:

1. Will Adobe incorporate any aspect of the Mercury Playback Engine (MPE) into PrE, like they have with PrPro CS5 and CS5.5?
                                2. Will one ever be moving up to PrPro?

My guess is that for # 1, the answer is, not any time soon, but only the user can address # 2.

For some background on MPE, see this ARTICLE.

For some tips on buying, or building a computer for editing video, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: OS Crash when rendering project

Go to http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum

Once there, start with the FAQ DROP DOWN LIST at the top