3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2011 2:24 AM by David089

Problem reading .fdf files

David089

Have an online PDF form which generates a .fdf file which is emailed via a third party.  When we try and open the .fdf file a blank version of the PDF opens but no data is input from the .fdf;  if you open the .fdf file as text all the data is recorded.  I am running under Windows 7 and using Reader X.  The problem applies with all the browsers so I suspect lies somewhere between Windows 7 and Reader X!  Anyone know of a fix?

• 1. Re: Problem reading .fdf files
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In order to do this in Reader, I believe the file has to be rights enabled using Acrobat.

• 2. Re: Problem reading .fdf files
            flyboysd

I am experiencing a similar issue with an fdf opening a blank pdf. I was originally able to open an fdf that pointed to the writeable pdf and everything worked perfectly when opening the fdf in Acrobat Reader X (though Acrobat Pro was installed). The fdf dat inserted into the pdf.

I am now trying the same thing on a computer that does not have Acrobat Pro installed and the fdf just opens a blank version of the pdfd even though I can open the fdf in WordPrad and see the data. I tried Extend Usage Rights under Advanced for the pdf but it is still blank.

Not sure where else to turn. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Problem reading .fdf files
              David089 Level 1

Sorry no idea what's going on!  Seems to be a compatibility problem between Reader X and Windows.  Just hoping it will resolve itself!!

David Hyland

Alicsur Limited

Tel: +44 (0) 117 987 5639

Fax: +44 (0) 872 115 4695

Mobile: +44 (0) 7876 330 510

Web: www.alicsur.com

Company Number: 6300122

Registered in England: 6 Mansell Street, Stratford Upon Avon CV37 6NR