2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2007 6:10 PM by cratica

Part of character disappears when zooming out

cratica Level 1
      I have a 3d set with a character. When the camera zooms out, after a certain distance, part of it (shirt and part of jeans) dissapears. The face, hands, etc.. are still visible as is the world in front of and behind the character.

I have adjusted the yon and it has no effect on this problem (does make the entire world clip in/out however).

What other factors could be affecting the model/textures that would cause this sort of issue? I have two models... one male and one female. One works fine and the other has the above mentioned problem. Strange thing is one was made from the other so they are pretty much identical with slightly different geometry as of now. I even tried applying the same textures and the same shirt geometry but to no avail. I also de-selected SDS in the exporter to make sure it wasn't chopping down the geomtry so much it disappeared. Anyhow, nothing I have tried has made a difference. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Curtis

• 1. Re: Part of character disappears when zooming out
          Level 7
          Hi there,

The run-time level of detail code might be causing the full mesh to be
          optimised to only a few polygons, depending on the topology of the mesh.

Check the Level Of Detail ( lod ) modifier on the resource of the mesh,
          and perhaps disable it as a test.

See here for more info...
          http://director-online.com/lingo.php?id=531

Mal
          > I have a 3d set with a character. When the camera zooms out, after a certain
          > distance, part of it (shirt and part of jeans) dissapears. The face, hands,
          > etc.. are still visible as is the world in front of and behind the character.
          >
          > I have adjusted the yon and it has no effect on this problem (does make the
          > entire world clip in/out however).
          >
          > What other factors could be affecting the model/textures that would cause this
          > sort of issue? I have two models... one male and one female. One works fine
          > and the other has the above mentioned problem. Strange thing is one was made
          > from the other so they are pretty much identical with slightly different
          > geometry as of now. I even tried applying the same textures and the same shirt
          > geometry but to no avail. I also de-selected SDS in the exporter to make
          > sure it wasn't chopping down the geomtry so much it disappeared. Anyhow,
          > nothing I have tried has made a difference. Any thoughts?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Curtis
          >
          >
          >
          • 2. Re: Part of character disappears when zooming out
            cratica Level 1
            Hi Mal,

RIght on! I had de-selected the SDS support when exporting the model as a test thinking that SDS and LOD were the same. I didn't realize the Director engine also support real-time tesselation (known as SDS). I had mistakenly thought that SDS referred to it's LOD'ing capabilities.

Anyhow, adjusting the LOD parameters solved the problem. Still not sure why it does it on one model and not on another using all the same sets/cameras, etc...

I have a newfound respect for the Director 3D "engine". It actually has some real nice features and things do work pretty well with few issues relatively speaking. When I started this project I thought I would do very limited 3D work, but it's turned out much nicer than I expected by just using a few tricks. Lighting can make or break a project, that's for certain.

Thanks again Mal, you have helped me once again!

Curtis