11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2011 8:18 AM by the_wine_snob

Can I copy and paste the texts or graphics to another project?

RGB2CMYK2 Level 1

Hi folks, I am working on several movie clips which share the same graphics and most contents as beginning intro. Just a few sentences are different. If would be so much hassle if I had to type everything and import the images to every clips. I noticed that I can't open two projects at the same time. So I am wondering if I can group them, copy and paste them to another project? Is it doable?

Thanks a lot for your time!

• 1. Re: Can I copy and paste the texts or graphics to another project?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, you have posted to the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, which is a repository for articles on how to do things in PrE & PrPro. Maybe Steve Grisetti, our tireless MOD, can move your post to the main forum, where more folk will see it, and can comment on it.

In the meantime, you are correct - one cannot have two Projects Open at the same time, and you cannot Copy/Paste between Projects, without an additional program, like the Clipboard extender, ClipMate. That is one way to get what you want.

Possibly there is another way to do what you want, without any additional programs. If you have Titles, and they will only change by a bit, you can create a "master" Title with graphics, text, Styles, etc., and then Save each as a Template, which can be used in multiple Projects, and also altered/edited in those Projects, as is needed. Everytime that I create a Title, with potential for reuse, I just do the Export as Template (the exact syntax might differ by version, but the result is the same - a PRTL Title Template file, located where you direct the program), and then those will appear in my Title "organizer" to be chosen. When one Imports one, they can be edited, as needed.

If one has an Intro, that will be reused, then one could create that, with any audio, images and Titles, and Export/Share as a DV-AVI, or similar, for later use. Note: with this method, one could not directly edit any Titles in such an Asset, as they would no longer be official Titles, and would be footage in an AV Clip. One could Cut out a Title, and replace it with a real Title, but then one would have to adjust for Transitions, if any were used. Still, I have some Intros, and Outros, that are constant, like The End Outros, and I use the Exported AV Clips there. In some cases, I leave the Intro, or Outro slightly unfinished, so that I can just add in, say a Title for each use in other Projects.

Good luck, and when the post is moved to the main forum, there will probably be some additional comments on slightly different workflows.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can I copy and paste the texts or graphics to another project?
            RGB2CMYK2 Level 1

Thank you so much! I used to work on image editing and I am new to video. It's so exciting.  The forum, especially your answers help a lot!

• 3. Re: Can I copy and paste the texts or graphics to another project?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

PrE is a bit different than PS, or its "big-brother," PrPro, with regards to Copy/Paste. In PS, things work directly, as they do with most other programs. In PrPro, one is still limited to one Project at a time, and one instance of PrPro, BUT as that program has Sequences (think mini-Projects in one master Project), one can Copy/Paste from Sequence to Sequence. One can also Open multiple Projects into another Project. PrE does not have Sequences, and the Import of other PrE Projects is not possible either. For PrE, the Clipboard Extender is a great workaround. [I think that this was first suggested and tested by Robert Johnsom, and posted both here, and on Muvipix.com.]

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Can I copy and paste the texts or graphics to another project?
                RGB2CMYK2 Level 1

But Premiere Elements can't export still-image sequences right? If the title has different still-images and different layers then have to export separately? Thanks!

• 5. Re: Can I copy and paste the texts or graphics to another project?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m, not sure how you are creating your Title. Can you step me through what you are doing with regards to the Titles. It could well be that there is an easy workaround to get what you want.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Can I copy and paste the texts or graphics to another project?
                    RGB2CMYK2 Level 1

Thank you so much for the quick reply!

In my project, the first clip is our company's logo with the title/slogan. Second clip is the title of the product and highlight the features of it. Then the third clip would be the animation illustrating the application of the products.

I will need the first and the second clip in every product introduction movie. The only thing that I need to chage will be in the second clip regarding to the product names and features.

So what I am doing now is to import a still-image (with logo and slogan) as the first clip and import the title template to the second clip. Since it's just two clips it's not too much work. I just wonder what if I had 10 video clips with different layers or transitions, can I export them as a single editable template?

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Can I copy and paste the texts or graphics to another project?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, if you want a logo, or other Image in a Title, you can Open that Title in the Titler Panel, go to Title>Image>Add Image, and your Image will be added as part of that Title. Then, Export/Save the Title as a Template, and that Image will be included in it.

If you have Text also, and do the Export/Save as a Template, the Text will be editable.

Does that help?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Can I copy and paste the texts or graphics to another project?
                        RGB2CMYK2 Level 1

That works if I just want to add a logo in the single clip. What if I have multiple clips with transition then I can't export them as a whole?

• 9. Re: Can I copy and paste the texts or graphics to another project?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

With Transitions, you will want to use the WAB (Work Area Bar), and Export/Share just that section of the Timeline. Remember, this will result in an AV file, so the elements will not be easily editable. If you have Text Titles, that you will want to edit for each time that you use this Intro, I'd Delete that, prior to Export/Share, and just do a Title Template for it, then bring that into the Project, and edit, as is required.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Can I copy and paste the texts or graphics to another project?
                            RGB2CMYK2 Level 1

Thank you so much! Great appreciated!

• 11. Re: Can I copy and paste the texts or graphics to another project?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Hope that those suggestions help. Remember, there are often more ways to accomplish the same task. Some will work better under certain conditions, while with other needs, one might wish to use a slightly different workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt