17 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2011 12:00 PM by flbreen

MTS files from Sony slow processing

flbreen Level 1

I am having a lot of trouble processing .MTS files from a Sony NXCam.

I do not know what th settings were when the video was shot.

I put an hour of these video files (00000.MTS,00001.MTS, and 00002.MTS) on the PP timeline.

I tried ot export the video to any format and the estimated time was 5-7 hours.

I am not sure which Sequence type to use.

• 1. Re: MTS files from Sony slow processing
          Jean Pierre Bottazzoli Level 1

I use the Sony AX2000.

The files are imported with the Sony Content Manager. The file extention is then .m2ts (not .MTS).

Filmed in 1080i camera mode; using the AVCHD 1080i25 (50i) sequence settings.

Filmed in 1080p camera mode (perhaps the default for your nxcam); using the AVCHD 1080p25 sequence mode

Export 4 minutes video matching sequence settings is done in app. 2 minutes.

Export 4 minutes video as AVI is done in app. 1 minute.

Hope it helps

• 2. Re: MTS files from Sony slow processing
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Francis,

Have you run the PPBM5 Benchmark

That will show whether your system is properly tuned and performing correctly.

• 3. Re: MTS files from Sony slow processing
              flbreen Level 1

My system (CS5, i7 running W7) runs well processing HDV file types (.mpg & .m2t).
              I was given a memory stick with an hour of outdoor video on it from a Sony NXCam.
              The stick contained several .MTS file that I transferred directly to my hard disk.
              I could import these files to PP and play them.
              When I used Adobe Media Encoder to produce any type of output file the process takes 4+ hours for an hour of video.
              I think you are saying that I should have used the
              Sony Content  Manager to import the files from the memory stick and I would have had a  folder filled with .m2ts files and these file would work much better on  my system.
              If so how do I get the Sony Content Manager.

• 4. Re: MTS files from Sony slow processing

I have no idea if the change of the file extension (.MTS to .m2ts) has something to do with a change of footage (codec). Don’t think so..

I just have imported directly (w/o the Sony software) some footage from the Memory card of the cam into PP ( .MTS).

Works also fine;

1 minute of footage is exported as "match sequence setting" in 1 minute.

Export as MPEG2 HDTV in 1 minute.

Export as .avi in 40 seconds.

Please check your sequence and export settings.

I have also tested a (wrong) sequence setting "anamorphic" while my footage is not, and then the export is much longer!

Please select a file and check under Metadata the video Info:

1920 x 1080 (1,0) use AVCHD 1080i square pixel as sequence setting.

1920 x 1080 (1.333) use AVCHD 1080i (1.333) = anamorphic as sequence setting.

I may mail you the Sony Software, but it installs only with the camcorder connected, will not help.

Otherwise follow the advices about Benchmark.

Regards JPB

• 5. Re: MTS files from Sony slow processing
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, you need to be sure you have the correct preset for the file, so See the 2nd post for NEW ITEM pointer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/770072?tstart=0

Then, you need to post some information about your hardware so someone my comment on your speed

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built... since the GTX 285 is no longer sold, I would now go with a GTX 460 or whatever is the current "best bang for the buck" - AND I would buy 4Gig-by-3Sticks memory to be able to expand from 12Gig to 24Gig if needed
                  For my home hobbyist, family movies (which means that I am not trying to recreate Star Wars with video effects or many layers) AVCHD editing is "as smooth as spreading warm butter on hot toast" (also the MP4 video from wife's Flip camera)
                  My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
                  1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all programs
                  2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video projects
                  3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write

• 6. Re: MTS files from Sony slow processing
                    flbreen Level 1

Thanks for the info.

I ran the MTS file through the new item pointer and I found that the files I have were shot in 24 fps.

I assume that caused the long processing time because I was using a 30 fps PP Sequence.

I used the Sequence created by the New Item Pointer and the estimated conversion time to an MP4 file is about 2 hours for a  video that is 75 minutes long.

I am using a fairly powerful PC that I built in August 2010 based on specs from the CS5 hardware forum.

It works well for other compressed file types.

• 7. Re: MTS files from Sony slow processing

Ok, you are on a US system, I forgot. I'm on European system on 25/50 fps not 30/60 fps.

My cam does not have the 24 fps mode, so I cannot test that mode.

Please have again a check about the square or not square pixel mode (1 or 1.333), apparently a wrong setting may cause a longer export (conversion) duration.

2h for a 75 minutes video export seams fair, but may be tuned with appropriate hardware settings.

Please make also the performance test.

• 8. Re: MTS files from Sony slow processing
                        flbreen Level 1

I am trying to use the benchmark.

I do not know what to open "Open AME"

Open AME. Go to "File / Add Premiere Pro Sequence..." and from the list select "Benchmark.prproj" and select on the right hand side the sequence "MPEG2-DVD test" and press OK.

Also I some more files from this Sony camcorder that was shot probably using 60i (not 24 fps).

I pointed one of them to the new sequence symbol and I used the sequence produced by that action to load on all of the MTS files.

When I played the sequence it had a shaky terrible look to it.

It was very difficult to scan through the video.

I have GPU enabled.

In the source window the video looks a lot better but when I fast forward and fast reverse it skips and jumps - a horrible editing environment.

Thanks

• 9. Re: MTS files from Sony slow processing

Hi,

please send me one of the sequences so I may analize it on my system: usa@bottazzoli.com

• 10. Re: MTS files from Sony slow processing
                            Hi Frank,
                            I can play this file with the Windows Media Player.
                            Importing it into PPR, I only get the sound, no video.
                            Dragging the file to the new sequence (new item), creates a new sequence and adds the audio track, no video.
                            It’s a AVCHD file, 30 images/sec, 25734kbps stream but not accepted by Adobe.
                            Then I have loaded the file into Windows Movie Maker and saved as High Resolution file. Works fine, imported into PPR also works fine.
                            Really strange, but believe me Adobe works fine with (normal) AVCHD files from Sony cams.
                            Perhaps someone may explain.....
                            • 11. Re: MTS files from Sony slow processing

More, I have try to convert the file with media Encoder to MPEG2, NTSC DV and HSTV 25p. Only sound no video.

Regards

• 12. Re: MTS files from Sony slow processing
                                flbreen Level 1

I performed the PPBM5 test and I am waiting for my results.

I cannot edit SONY HD files because of the poor play back quality.

There is little difference if any running with or without the MPE.

The video plays much better in the source window than it does in the program window.

Do I have to render the sequence before I can edit it?

• 13. Re: MTS files from Sony slow processing
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Francis,

I'm currently abroad, so I can't update the results just yet. I have 17 new submissions waiting to be added and I will do that in the Easter weekend.

However, from a cursory glance at your results, the disk results look unpectacular, the MPEG test is somewhat disappointing, as are the H.264 results, but the major disappointment is the MPE rendering, which is plain bad. Some tuning may be in order.

After I have added your results I can comment better, but in the meantime look at some basic tuning by turning off the sidebar, Aero and killing as many processes as possible. I don't have the link to the exact post here, but I wrote an article "Guide to installing and tuning Vista" or something close to it, that shows you the steps to take and which also applies to Win7. You can find it by pressing the Overview tab at the top of the page.

• 14. Re: MTS files from Sony slow processing
                                    flbreen Level 1

At this point I do all my work with SD files from my Canon XH-A1 camcorder.

And the editing is quite smooth and faster than my older CS4 PC.

I had the hardware (GTX 480) to run GPU Acceleration but it wasn't until a few months ago that I activated it.

Recently I was handed SD cards from the new Sony camcorder with real HD files.

I expected to see some hesitations with the HD files.

What I have is an unuseable editing environment - skips and stops.

When I put the files in the timeline I see the yellow band above indicating that the GPU Acceleration is engaged.

When I shut off the GPU Acceleration the video plays just as badly as it did with the GPU Acceleration on.

When I render the whole work area then the video plays nicely.

• 15. Re: MTS files from Sony slow processing
                                      flbreen Level 1

Harm

You mentioned some tunning for my system.

I built my system (optomized for CS5) starting in June 2010 base on the exact components specified by one of the Forum contributers.

I found that I can Export a file much faster if I Export from the Media Encoder rather than Queueing.

It seems like GPU acceleration does not engage when the process is queued.

Right now I am editing SD MP4 sports files.

I need to FF and FRewind to locate the beginning of a highlight.

Particularly when I FRewind the video gets all choppy and I loose track of where I am.

It is very frustrating an something I did not expect to be dealing with.

Thanks

Frank Breen

• 16. Re: MTS files from Sony slow processing
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Frank,

Your results in the benchmark are rather disappointing, especially on the MPE side of things, but also with MPEG2 export. I would have expected your MPE results to be around 13 - 14 seconds and not at 41 seconds. Look at this link, which also applies to Win7: Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista...

• 17. Re: MTS files from Sony slow processing
                                          flbreen Level 1

Harm

I just noticed in my Source window where I review the video before selecting segments for the timeline, if I reduce the resolution to 1/2 the video does not skip when I FReverse.

The quality of the video is noticably lower but it is much less irratating to look at.

I would think that it would not matter to my powerful video card whether I was using 1/2 or full resolution.

Thanks

Frank