7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2011 8:09 PM by zoodle-pep

Need a single codec mpeg-2.ts

big sandy lake Level 1

Hi all. I just copied several Beta tapes to my Hard Drive with the Hauppuge Video card using their Win7 package. I had done this before and my premiere 8 could see and use all files. I updated  the Hauppuge software before starting the  new  copying process and now premiere cannot recognize the files telling me it needs a codec. I know Hunt has cautioned before about codec packages so I am wondering if there is some place that will allow me to down load this single codec instead of a package? When I right click on the movie file it says mpeg-2.ts

Thanks,

Tom

• 1. Re: Need a single codec mpeg-2.ts
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

I would use either G-Spot, or MediaInfo (both free), to determine the exact CODEC used. With that info, do a Google/Bing search for it. Download, install it and then reboot the system. Provided that it is a CODEC that PrE can work with, things should now be fine. I like to go to the soruce with CODEC's, even if this means that I need to buy it, than get a free version. The workability, and lack of conflict elsewhere, are usually improved by doing so. Many free versions are hacked, or reverse-engineered, and can cause problems.

Good luck, and if you get hung up, post a screen-cap of the G-Spot screen, or the MediaInfo file, Copied/Pasted into the forum editing screen.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Need a single codec mpeg-2.ts
            big sandy lake Level 1

That was fast!

Thanks Bill.

Tom

• 3. Re: Need a single codec mpeg-2.ts
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Hope that it helps and that you can both locate and then install the necessary CODEC, and then that PrE can use it fully. For a bit of background on CODEC's, this ARTICLE might be useful.

The reasons that I do not recommend CODEC packs, are:

• Many such packs also install a bunch of other "stuff," and some can really mess up a system, especially one used for NLE work.
              • Most of those CODEC pack CODEC's are hacked, or reverse-engineered versions of commercial CODEC's, and are often deficient in one way, or another.
              • Many such packs will overwrite, or change the priority of properly installed commercial CODEC's. This is why Adobe "hides" their MainConcept CODEC's, though their priorities can be altered, in the Registry.

Some folk have great luck with CODEC packs, and I have even read of Adobe T/S reps. suggesting them. I am a minimalist, when it comes to CODEC's, and only install the ones that I need, when I need them, and then try to go to the "source." Note: some great CODEC's, like the Lagarith Lossless, are free, so free is not necessarily bad.

Good luck, and please let us know the exact CODEC that you need, where you found it, and how well it worked. We have seen several Hauppage capture card issues, so you will very likely help others in the future.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Need a single codec mpeg-2.ts
                big sandy lake Level 1

Alas Bill nothing is easy in the world of computers (at least not this time). G-Spot only told me the container type ( file type: MPEG-2 Transport Stream Mime Type:video/mp2t ) So in reference to your comment about Hauppuge I went to there site and asked the question and now I just have to wait " up to 48 hours " for an answer. Yeaaa.

Tom

• 5. Re: Need a single codec mpeg-2.ts
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What video editing software does Hauppuge have with the card?

What are the output options of that software?

You may need to load the files into the Hauppuge software and export into an edit friendly format

• 6. Re: Need a single codec mpeg-2.ts
                    big sandy lake Level 1

Hi John. Hauppuge's package is called WinTV 7. It allows me to run in video S to the tuner card and record to my hard drive but it doesn't let me choose what codec to use only the quality. I use the best setting and I can play back the resulting movies with media player. There are no options to let me choose what format to use on output. As a work around I down loaded MPEG Streamclip to see if I could convert my existing movies to DV-AVI. It asked me to first uninstall my Quicktime and reinstall version 1.81 which I did. I tried a small movie converting it to the DV export selection and tried loading it into Premiere. It worked! without the red line above it. Question. Before I start converting all of my movies is there anything I should change in Streamclip? When I choose DV exporter there are many boxes to check such as Interlaced Scaling (checked ), Reinterlace Chroma (checked), but Frame Blending, Better Downscaling, Deinterlace Video are not checked ( these are the default settings ). Or is there something else that would do a faster or better to do the job. Also I noticed that the files get MUCH bigger after converting.

Thanks,

Tom

• 7. Re: Need a single codec mpeg-2.ts
                      zoodle-pep Level 1

I came across the same situation with Hauppage's Win tv7 recordings. PrEL9 could not import,  but I discovered that in the (win tv) settings pane under the  "advanced options" tab, there is a box .. "Auto Convert MPEG-2 recordings to .mpg." .. I checked the box and  they can now be imported to PrEL9.  I was recording live tv.