4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2011 1:56 PM by the_wine_snob

Layer Videos?   'screen within a screen'

adamgent

Hi - hopefully a simple question for you.

I am looking at Adobe Premiere Eelements to do some simple editing.  The only 'function' I really want is the ability to have a video layered onto of another video, but smaller and  in one corner; imagine a helmet mounted 'point of view' video playing in the corner whilst the main moving shows the bigger picture, or how a sign language transalter might be presented in the corner of a screen.

I have tried search this forum and good old google but becuase I do not know what this function is called I am not sure what to look for so please excuse me if this is a seemingly obvious question for you.

I have seen it featured in the demos of Premiere Elements 9 but now Premier Elements 8 is on sale for less than half price, I wonder if this is all I need?

So....

Is there a name for this function?

Is this function available on Elements 8?

Thanks

Adam

• 1. Re: Layer Videos?   'screen within a screen'
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is called a Picture-in-Picture, and there are a number of ways to do it.

Basically, you must be in Timeline mode. Then one place your main clip on the Video 1 track and your PiP clip on the Video 2 track, directly above it.

Then you resize and reposition the clip on Video 2.

You can do this in a couple of ways. The easiest is to just click on the clip in Monitor and resize it by dragging on its corner handles.

You can also just drag a PiP Preset on it from the Effects Presets located under the Effects button (under the Edit tab).

I take you step-by-step through the process in my books, by the way, as well as in a tutorial on Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Layer Videos?   'screen within a screen'
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Adam,

Welcome to the forum.

As Steve points out, this is Picture-in-Picture, or often seen as PiP.

Steve's method of using the Bounding Box in the Program Monitor to Scale & Position the PiP (Video Track 2) is the easiest method.

A variation on that is to adjust the fixed Effects>Motion>Scale and Motion>Position. The initial result is the same with either method. With the latter, it is also possible to Keyframe those Effects over time, so that, in your example, the signer could start out full-screen (covering the speaker), and then shrink and move to the lower-right of the Frame. This is a Zoom and a Pan, and are also used to create "movement" in still images, a la the Ken Burns Effect.

One more, albeit a bit more complicated, method is to use Track Matte Keying, where your Track Matte creates a "window" for the footage in your Video Track 2. This can allow for things like a soft edge around your PiP, however, for your appliction, I would stick with the hard edge of Scale.

Note, if necessary, you can also apply an Effect>Crop to the PiP Clip, to "re-shape" it a bit. This can be used to clean up extra area around the subject. You will still have a rectangle, but you can alter the Aspect Ratio from that of the original Clip, say taking a 4:3 Clip and making it square.

Here is an example of PiP with Scale, Position and also a Crop to isolate the subject better than the framing of the original Clip:

PiP_Example_01.jpg

Also as Steve mentions, he covers the fine details of PiP in his PrE books, available from Muvipix, or Amazon.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Layer Videos?   'screen within a screen'
              adamgent Level 1

Thanks for bot of your prompt, simple and - most importantly! - easy to understand answers.   Sorry for the delay in replaying but as a result I have just popped out to by the software and look forward to getting to grips with it!

I'll look into those books and the link.

Thanks.

Adam

• 4. Re: Layer Videos?   'screen within a screen'
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Adam,

To really get up to speed with PrE, I recommend the resources in this ARTICLE. Steve's great books are included, as are his Basic Training Series and his Learning Series, on Muvipix.com.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt