21 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2011 5:45 PM by the_wine_snob

How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?

screen_name_djk

I upgraded to PE9 because my dvd's from PE2 wouldn't play on my new LG or Sony blue ray players.    Unfortunately, PE9 disks don't play either.   How do I make disks that will play?   This is a real bummer, since my whole aim is to edit the years of family videos and make a nice set of DVD's to pick up and watch with the family.   I cannot expect people I send the family to go our and buy downrev DVD players (and some of them don't work either)....

Help?   There isn't much point in a video editing program if you can't produce a final result for viewing!

p.s.  I'm happy to do any work around that will work...  burn a file to disk and access through data area of BR player?    Use another conversion program to take the PE9 output and make it playable on dvd's... whatever works is fair game.

thanks

david

• 1. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

DVD's created with PrE will normally play on most players, whether DVD, or BD. However, no DVD, or BD player is certified to play ANY burned disc - DVD-Video, or BD. They are only certified to play commercially replicated discs. Some players are better at handling burned discs, than are others. This ARTICLE will give you more background and some suggestions for getting the best disc possible.

In a nutshell, the two biggest considerations are the brand of blank media used. What brand are you using?

Then, and though it is less important, than some years ago, the type of media can play a role. What type, -R, or +R, are you using?

The burn speed can contribute to the quality of the burn, but in PrE, one is limited here. PrE will survey the blank media's speed, and factor in the speed of the burner, then choose the fastest speed. Normally, this will be OK, but when things are not working, I recommend a different workflow:

Burn the Project to File. This will create a VIDEO_TS folder, where you choose for the Destination, which will include the IFO, BUP and VOB files, necessary. At this point, I would use DVD software to test play the VIDEO_TS folder. Then, one would use a burning utility, like the great, free ImgBurn to do the physical Burn to Disc, and choose the VIDEO_TS folder (with the contained files). Here, one can adjust the burn speed. I recommend one about 1/2 way down the list of possible speeds. This takes a few minutes more, but often is the secret to burning discs with the highest playability.

I would also look on the multi-drive's mfgr's. Web site, and then download and install the latest firmware for that model drive.

When done, test the disc in the multi-drive on the computer, using DVD playing software. If this works, then the disc is fine, but still might not be seen by a set-top player, and that is where the first couple of steps comes it to get the best possible disc.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What Harm said...

I use CS5 Encore, not PE, but my process is to have Encore create an image on hard drive, and then use Imgburn to write to the disc

I told Imgburn to always use a burn speed of 1 - which it then adjusts as need to the minimum speed the individual disc will support

I use Taiyo Uden (spelling?) for single layer and Verbatim for dual layer

I have a Sony Bluray player (can't remember the model, and it's upstairs) and never a problem playing my discs

• 3. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

John T.,

Two issues - one large and one small...

In this case, the other "partner" in the law firm of Hunt & Harm commented - not the other. [Inside joke here, as Harm is Harm Millaard, a valued contributor to the PrPro forums.]

The Taiyo Yuden blank discs are great. Just as you do, I use T-Y's for DVD-5's and Verbatims for DVD-9's, and with now over 2000 DVD-5's delivered, I have never had one disc returned for playability issues, but that could always change, depending on which DVD/BD players my clients have.

Hunt (not Harm)

• 4. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
                Ted Smith Level 3

I believe there IS a problem with PE9 burning Blue Ray disks.

Most new players are certified to play burned disks however they say it depends on the disk, program and the burner they are made with.

When you examine a disk burnt by PE9 with ImgBurn's diagnostic routine it reports the disks as being "unfinished"

The PE9 disk will play some players like an old Panasonic Blue ray player but not in my new Pioneer indicating that the disk is OK but PE9 is not.

With PE9 you have to share it to a MT2S file then use ImgBurn (free) or similar to make the BD disk.

I suggest you take the disk to a shop and see if it will play in the ther models (I did and it played perfectly)

This is not a 'fault' of the Sony player but rather the way you burnt it.

• 5. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

In this case, the OP is burning DVD-Video discs to be played on BD players.

As Sony has expressed a strong desire to curtail any burning of BD's, to maintain their lock on the system, they have done everything possible to limit the production of BD's to just their commercial replication schemes. I find it hard to believe that they would have altered the BD-specs. to certify the playability of any burned BD. Can you point me to some reference that any BD player is certified to play any burned BD? I have not read of any such certification, and would greatly appreciate any info on this. I will be glad to add that/those link(s) to the above linked article, to update it

Thanks and good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
                    screen_name_djk Level 1

Thanks for all the helpful advice.   I never imagined that the brand of disk mattered.  I am using HP DVD -r 16x disks.  I also have some Staples brand -r disks. I'll try a Staples disk, but it sounds like my path is to do the burn image.

If I do the burn image do I still end up with a product that uses the menus for scenes, etc, or do I just get an autoplay option...  I'd rather use menus, but playability is the most important factor.

I'll try the ideas posted and report back. Might be off to buy some high quality disks!

Thanks so much!

David

• 7. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
                      screen_name_djk Level 1

Oops... here's some new information... just noticed that the disk ejected after burning, only for be to discover that PE 9 reported an error...   no idea what this error is... but it has a terrific name... apparently it generated a VOBULATOR\Title Planner\CVOBUPlanner.cpp line 331 error.    I'll kill the title and re-render and try reburning...

David

• 8. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The "Vobulator" is the Sonic AuthorCore Module (they provide the authoring capabilities of PrE) used to create the DVD structure, the VIDEO_TS folder, the IFO, BUP and VOB files, that contain the navigation, the Menus and the MPEG-2 files. If the Vobulator fails, there is something wrong with the Project. It could be an issue with the navigation structure, like an improper Marker, or something else. Something is not right. Unfortunately, PrE does not have a "pre-flight" checking utility, to show potential problems, before one does the burn. Neither does Adobe Encore (bundled with PrPro), the full-featured authoring app. Encore does have a Check Project function, but it ONLY addresses the general navigation, and does not check Assets, etc. I have filed Feature Request for a full pre-flight function, but it is probably too involved to implement, as Adobe has not incorporated it into Encore.

Finding out what is wrong can require detective work, but I would start with the Markers. They should not be too close together, and there should NOT be a Stop Marker at the end of the Timeline.

As for the question in an "image," PrE does not support a true Image, which would result in an ISO file. Encore does. Instead, PrE offers Burn to Folder (for DVD only, and not BD), and that will result in a VIDEO_TS folder with the proper and necessary IFO, BUP and VOB files. This is the exact same structure that PrE will create with Burn to Disc, but will locate that VIDEO_TS folder (and files) on the HDD. That will be exactly the same as with Burn to Disc, and will contain the full Menus and navigation (inside the first VOB), as with the disc. That is what you would then use a burning utility to do the physical Burn to Disc. That workflow allows one to first test the VIDEO_TS folder and contents on a DVD software player, and then allow one to alter the burn speed to suit. From that VIDEO_TS folder, one can also use the burning utility to burn multiple discs, without having to Transcode the Project over again.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is one THREAD on the Vobulator error.

Hunt

• 10. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is another, rather longish THREAD on burning issues and a Vobulator error.

Hunt

• 11. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a THREAD from Creative Cow, that is basically on Adobe Encore, but look at some of Jeff Bellune's posts (he wrote the book on Encore), and you will find some tips that apply to PrE too, like Chapter Marker placement, etc.

Just read between the lines (the Encore lines). PrE does not have Playlists, Chapter Playlists or Overrides, so ignore those comments.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
                                screen_name_djk Level 1

Do I pick the entire video_TS folder, or have to slect a specific file?   Maybe there is an option to go through all the files in that folder?   Cause the video files usually get divided into 1GB chunks, right?

thanks

david

• 13. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
                                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please put a "Hollywood" DVD in your computer drive and use Windows Explorer to look at the file structure, so you know what you need to write from your hard drive to disc

• 14. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

You will want to choose the VIDEO_TS folder with all of the files inside.

The VOB's are going to be ~ 1GB in size, and the first one will contain your Menus and navigation, plus the first part of the MPEG-2 file. That file will span all of the additional VOB's, in ~ 1GB chunks.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 15. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
                                      screen_name_djk Level 1

Bill,

This worked fine!!!!  Success at last!!!   although the work flow process is bit of a mystery.. I selected the files and tried to write...it told me to go to build mode.  i did.  and seemed to complete the whole process...i never did go to write mode... i'll read some instructions, but so far haven't found a good work flow description... and maybe i won't need one....

thanks again....

david

• 16. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

Sometimes, success is where you find it.

Glad that things worked out for you. One neat thing about ImgBurn is the error messages. I find them quite funny, and will sometimes do something that I know is wrong, just to see what the message will be - too much time on my hands, I guess.

Good luck, and thanks for reporting,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 17. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
                                          screen_name_djk Level 1

Just reporting another interesting piece of info on burning DVD's and compatability with BR players.    I thought I'd try PE9 burning direct to cheapo Staples disks again, but from a brand new Dell Precision M4500 laptop with 8GB of RAM.   Previous attempts with a Dell 9200 a fancy video card and only 2GB RAM

failed miserably.   I assume that either more video memory or RAM allowed a larger buffer space during video processing/burning and this made the difference. Just speculation on my part.  I assume that running the IMGBURN program works because it enables your to slow the burn process to what your PC can handle...so both solutioins work fine... obviously IMGburn is a free solution, so better for most who can't justify buying a new PC!

Thanks to all for the help in resolving this... just figured I'd add to the thread because it might help others who encounter disk burning problems!

David

• 18. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
                                            screen_name_djk Level 1

I need some help again... I should've written better notes... I used IMGBURN with great success about a month ago...  now I need to burn a new DVD and cannot recall whether I used the BUILD mode or WRITE mode.   the icons in the EZ mode picker look obvious... I would think I'd point to the folder with VIDEO_TS file in it, then pick write image file to disk.   I did this and the disk plays, but my PE menu is gone... the disk just starts up in the DVD player.

How do I create a DVD with IMGBURN so that it works just like it's supposed to if created from PE9?

thanks, and this time I'll take better notes...

david

• 19. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

In ImgBurn, first choose Write Folder/Files to Disk,

ImgBurn_Screen.png

then you will see a screen much like this one:

IngBurn_01.jpg

Hope that this helps and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                              • 20. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
                                                screen_name_djk Level 1

Hunt,

Yes... very helpful... this is exactly what I did.   On the second loading of the disk into the DVD player the menus poped up correctly... I have no idea why I had trouble the first time, but it works now!

Your annoted screenshots are a great reference... much appreciated!

David

• 21. Re: How to get PE9 DVD's to play on new blue ray players?
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

Glad to have helped. IIRC, there is a newer version of ImgBurn, that what I have. I'm waiting on a new laptop, so will upgrade/update a lot of utilities, with that. I have been a bit lax, so if your screens look different, glad that you could "read between the lines."

For my experience, the two biggest factors, regarding playability are:

1. Blank disc brand
                                                  2. Burn speed, which PrE cannot address

A distant 3rd is the firmware of the burner, but it's way, way behind the other two - still, it can make/break a DVD burning session.

Good luck, and who did ImgBurn say made those Staples' DVD's? That could have a lot to do with success. Many have found good discs in a spindle of Memorex, but also found ca-ca, all intermixed.

Hunt