3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2011 11:14 AM by owen sound

E Lic already in use by another user

kaden79

I had purchased books on another computer with Adobe Digital Editions.  Now, that computer crashed and I can't access it at all.  I am trying to download my books onto my new computer.  I keep getting this message though.  Adobe said they reset my log in so I could access...didn't work.  Told me to try reinstall and deleting all my codes by deleting the Adept file.....didn't work.  Then said to try the forum...In other words, we can't help so go away!  Help!

• 1. Re: E Lic already in use by another user
          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

All too common a problem, Adobe!

One thing I don't notice in your post is that you emptied the TRASH folder

after you deleted ADE.  This is important, because ADE's installation

process will search your computer for certain files - and if it finds them

(in this case, in your TRASH folder), it will use those files instead of

installing new ones......  Not the best of processes, but understandable

from Adobe's point of view.  You can try that.  You could try also using the

Add/Remove Programs function in Windows, accessed from the Control Panel,

instead of just deleting files, because that process removes registry

entries and just deleting the files does not.

During the install process, Adobe 'registers' your computer and keeps a

record of it on its website.  According to Adobe, ADE permits up to six

devices, and that's been interpreted to mean either computers or ereaders.

So, if you're changing computers, you 'should' be able to install ADE on the

new one.  However, if you are using a different Adobe ID with the same

computer, you can run into this error.  Could that be the cause in your

situation?

===============

• 2. Re: E Lic already in use by another user
            kaden79 Level 1

Thanks for the response.

But this didn’t work either.  I tried to use control panel for the uninstall and deleting the file and emptying the trash folder before reinstalling but no luck.

This is a different computer with the same Adobe ID.   I think that’s why Adobe told me they were resetting my ID...even though that didn’t work either. 

Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2011 2:12 PM

To: Karen Jones

Subject: E Lic already in use by another user

All too common a problem, Adobe!

One thing I don't notice in your post is that you emptied the TRASH folder

after you deleted ADE.  This is important, because ADE's installation

process will search your computer for certain files - and if it finds them

(in this case, in your TRASH folder), it will use those files instead of

installing new ones......  Not the best of processes, but understandable

from Adobe's point of view.  You can try that.  You could try also using the

Add/Remove Programs function in Windows, accessed from the Control Panel,

instead of just deleting files, because that process removes registry

entries and just deleting the files does not.

During the install process, Adobe 'registers' your computer and keeps a

record of it on its website.  According to Adobe, ADE permits up to six

devices, and that's been interpreted to mean either computers or ereaders.

So, if you're changing computers, you 'should' be able to install ADE on the

new one.  However, if you are using a different Adobe ID with the same

computer, you can run into this error.  Could that be the cause in your

situation?

===============

• 3. Re: E Lic already in use by another user
              owen sound

that could be my problem. How do I fix it?