1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 10, 2011 10:09 AM by Jeff Schewe

preview values when working in grayscale

David Remington Level 1

Exporting grayscale images, workflow options color space set to gray gamma 2.2, the values displayed in CR do not match "RGB" values in PS. The preview image matches in appearance but the values are lower in PS. This makes it harder to set black and white points in CR. I generally keep the first info panel readout RGB. I know that I'm not going to hold much detail in a print below 10 (or even 15 in some cases). Problem is a shadow value of 18 in CR changes to 8 when you open the file in PS. Only workaround I've found is to keep workflow options set to sRGB in CR with convert to grayscale checked. Anyone have any insight into this? It does seem like using RGB readouts with grayscale images does not work very well in PS. The values given when assigning and converting between grayscale profiles are all messed up.

Thanks,

David

• 1. Re: preview values when working in grayscale
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

David Remington wrote:

Exporting grayscale images, workflow options color space set to gray gamma 2.2, the values displayed in CR do not match "RGB" values in PS.

What is your Grayscale Space in Photoshop set to? If you've left it the default 20% dot gain then no, there won't be a match. If your Grayscale workspace is set to gamma 2.2 and your color space also has a 2.2 gamma (like sRGB or Adobe RGB) they should match...