7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2011 4:07 AM by i_dream_of_jeannie

No audio

TizeyePhoto

While the clips were intentionally taken with no audio, intending voiceover, audio is not recording in PE9.  Took a whaile, but figured out how to get it to recognise my microphone Edit>Preference>Audio Hardware where I now have a responce from the level bar before beginning recording. Ironically, had to check all sources before it would respond, as didn't like the single check on the USB microphone.

My system is desktop USB Logitech microphone and separate stereo Sennheiser headset which is tapped into the speaker line and speakers turned off. Setup works fine with Skype and other programs.

As I activate the record arrow, nothing records, nore is there anything on the record track, and likewise, nothing on playback. As I narrate, I can see the level bar jumpng all around as it responds to the input from the microphone. What am I doing wrong? Is there a button I don't see to start and stop/pause recordings, and not that arrow and II button?

• 1. Re: No audio
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Both Adobe NLE programs, PrE & PrPro, have issues with many USB mics. One workaround would be to use a program, like the great, free Audacity, to do the recording, and then Save_As a PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Audio file.

In PrE, you also might want to target another Audio Track, and not Narration, and test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: No audio
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements usually does not work with USB microphones, Tizeye.

You may need to record your audio in another program (like the free download Audacity) and save it as a WAV file for use in your program.

Or you can purchase a microphone that plugs into a standard audio input on your sound card.

• 3. Re: No audio
              TizeyePhoto Level 1

Thanks, in all my searching never heard a reference to the USB issue.

I may purchase a separate mic with the 3.5mm jack for the sound card. Just beginning, it seems that would be much easier and convenient to record along the appropriate points on the timeline that recording the whole script in another porgram, and breaking it at points on the timeline.  Being cheap thoug, before I rush out to the store, may try the other approach and see if I can't ramp up my skills quickly.

• 4. Re: No audio
                the_wine_snob Level 9

It is much easier to record into PrE, if the mic is compatible. Not sure what the issue is with most USB mics., but one exists. Could be an ASIO thing, or something else.

If one is recording to another program, there is another drawback - PrE will only play the Timeline, if it has focus. When one clicks to another program, playback stops. This means that to have the Timeline as a reference for the narration, they will need to Export/Share to a reference file, that can then be played back in say MediaPlayer Classic HC, that does not need focus to playback. One could then have Audacity, or similar, open for recording, and MediaPlayer also open with the reference AV file cued up. Click-click and just record. I have to do similar, when scoring a Video with Sonicfire Pro 5.0. I have to do a reference Video file, Import that into Sonicfire Pro, and do my scoring. SmartSound has released a plug-in version of Sonicfire for FCP, but so far, none for PrPro, or PrE. They are working on one, but no release date.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: No audio
                  nealeh Level 5

It may be worthwhile to check Logitech for updated drivers. The microphone in my USB Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 works fine with PRE.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: No audio
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

That is good to know. Thanks for posting your success with that USB mic.

Hunt

• 7. Re: No audio
                      i_dream_of_jeannie Level 1

Were you able to successfully record with another mic?