4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2011 7:26 PM by the_wine_snob

Should I Switch From Pre8 to Pre9?

Canyonerox

I have owned Pre8 for about 6 months now, but have never gotten it to work for me.  My main issue is that I can't view any video playback previews because they are too choppy 1 frame per 5-10 seconds, or just not operational.  I believe my computer system is capable (I can post full stats later if needed, but right now I have a Quad Core Q9450 2.66, 4 gigs of RAM, and GTX 470 video card with latest driver 266.58 installed, and am Running Windows 7, 64-bit), but after reviewing these forums it sounds like upgrading may be my best bet.  I am primarily looking to edit HD videos from my GoPro camera which sounds similar to the Flip as it records in the MP4 format (the GoPro CODEC is:  mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC).  I am also working on some AVCHD files from a friend's camera.  It sounds like Pre8 struggles or can't support these types of files without conversion first.    It also does not appear that the HD settings in Pre8 are high enough either when I try to set up a new project for my 1920x1080 30fps files it only looks like Pre8 goes up to 1440 x 1080.  I am just asking because I would hate to throw good money after bad if Pre9 is not the solution.  Thanks for your help/suggestions.

• 1. Re: Should I Switch From Pre8 to Pre9?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It is not likely upgrading will remedy your situation, Canyon.

Your problem is that your camcorder's video is not compatible with Premiere Elements.(Though this is compounded by the fact that the 64-bit version of Windows 7 doesn't always interface cleanly with 32-bit drivers.)

I would recommend you check out a program called Quicktime Pro, a $29 download from Apple.com.

Not only is this program more likely to be able to work with this video format but, if you find the editing capabilities unsatisfactory, it will export it the video in a format that is compatible with Premiere Elements.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Should I Switch From Pre8 to Pre9?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

For some tips on GoPro footage, this ARTICLE might be useful.

As Steve points out, H.264 footage, in all of its flavors, is tough to edit. That material is very, very CPU intensive. A Quad-Core is the absolute minimum, and a newer i7-9xx CPU will improve playback greatly.

With Win7-64, 4GB of RAM is about what the OS needs, and there is not much extra left over for programs. With that OS, the recommended RAM is 12GB, with 24GB being the best. With the 64-bit OS, one has plenty of RAM for multiple programs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Should I Switch From Pre8 to Pre9?
              Canyonerox Level 1

Thanks for both of your helpful advice.  It sounds like a new computer build might be in order as I just got the GoPro camera and plan to use it a lot as it takes great footage.  I think I can work out a solution by converting the files through Quicktime Pro first and then hitting it with more PC firepower later. By converting through the Quicktime 7 Pro, it seems like the program is currently working, but is extremely slow and nonresponsive.  So now, the PC build wishlist begins...

• 4. Re: Should I Switch From Pre8 to Pre9?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

QT Player/Pro is rather slow on the PC. I've seen it work much faster on a Mac. Lot of "stuff" must be going on. Pro is a good investment, in my book, as it offers that Export function, with is well worth the US$ 29.

Before you start acquiring parts for a new computer, take a look at the links in this ARTICLE. Harm Millaard makes some great points. His upper-end build is geared towards the pro with PrPro, but his middle-of-the-road system would be great for PrE.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt