25 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2011 10:23 AM by Hudechrome

Why to auto conversion?

alakampo

Working on a PC with PS5. Why are RAW files automatically being converted to JPGs when opened in PS5? I want them to stay RAW files until I've processed them, then I will export them as JPGs. What is happening?

• 1. Re: Why to auto conversion?
          Noel Carboni Level 7

I'm having trouble making sense of what you're saying.  Camera Raw does provide a means for saving files directly to disk, but that's not automatic.  You have to hit the [Save Image...] button to make that happen.  Conversely, in order to open a Raw file into Photoshop,. you would use the [Open Image] button.

What buttons are you pressing?  In what application?  Is Bridge involved?

-Noel

• 2. Re: Why to auto conversion?
            Noel Carboni Level 7

You're not shooting in Raw + JPEG mode, by chance, are you?

-Noel

• 3. Re: Why to auto conversion?
              Noel Carboni Level 7

alakampo wrote:

In Bridge I opened the folder. Selected a few of the RAW files. Double click to open.

Images open in ACR. Select all to open in PS5. When they arrive in PS5 they are no longer RAW files but have converted to JPGs with out a request to do so.....

What is it, specifically, that's making you think Photoshop is opening the images as JPEGs?  Photoshop opens images as documents.

I just followed exactly the sequence you described and the names of the images in the tabs in Photoshop are IMG_4547.CR2 and IMG_4548.CR2.

Keep in mind you set the color depth and color space via the link at the bottom of the Camera Raw dialog.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                alakampo Level 1

Because when the raw files are uploaded into PS5 instead of .NEF at the end of the file name it is .jpg without my touching or clicking anything.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                  Noel Carboni Level 7

You say "PS5"...  I have read between the lines before that you meant "Photoshop CS5" (and not "Photoshop Elements 5.0").  Is that truly the case here?

If PS CS5, you are right to expect the document names to be that of the raw files.  That's what I see.

Unfortunately, I have much less experience with Bridge than I do with Photoshop and Camera Raw itself.  I know of no setting that will cause it to do what you say, though there are some settings in the Bridge Edit - Preferences menu that seem to pertain to double-clicking thumbnails.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                    alakampo Level 1

Yes I'm working in full blown CS 5

Sent from my iPhone

• 7. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                      Noel Carboni Level 7

Really basic question, and I apologize that it's so basic, but are you absolutely, positively sure that the files you're clicking on are .NEF files?

I ask because Windows hides file extensions by default, and I've run across folks who have named files things like ABCD.NEF.jpg before.  With the default Windows settings those say ABCD.NEF on the screen...

-Noel

• 8. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                        Hudechrome Level 2

First off, there is a missing post before post #3 by Noel.

As I understand it, both Bridge and ACR are acting correctly. When you click "Open" in ACR, you get a screen which gives options for saving; Location and output parameters desired, The options for output include jpeg, dng, tiff, etc. Open the last drop down menu and tell ACR what form you want it. ACR will then pick the correct extension. I suspect it's set for jpeg.

If you do not see that screen, get back to us.

• 9. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                          Noel Carboni Level 7

Hudechrome wrote:

First off, there is a missing post before post #3 by Noel.

I was sent a private eMail.

Hudechrome wrote:

When you click "Open" in ACR, you get a screen which gives options for saving; Location and output parameters desired, The options for output include jpeg, dng, tiff, etc. Open the last drop down menu and tell ACR what form you want it. ACR will then pick the correct extension. I suspect it's set for jpeg.

?

That's not at all what I see.

With Bridge open, I'm looking at the CONTENT tab, in which I have several of my .CR2 raw files.

Bridge1.jpg

I highlight two of them, using the Control key to add the second one to the batch that have a darker background.

Bridge2.jpg

I double-click either of the highlighted raw files, and voila, Camera Raw opens.

CameraRaw1.jpg

I click the [Select All] button at the upper left, then the [Open Images] button and after a few seconds both images open in Photoshop as Raw files.

OpenImages.jpg

I apparently missed the dialogs you mentioned, Lawrence.

-Noel

• 10. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                            Hudechrome Level 2

Click the Save Image button at the lower left of the ACR screen. A save dialog should show up.

• 11. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                              Jeff Schewe Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

I click the [Select All] button at the upper left, then the [Open Images] button and after a few seconds both images open in Photoshop as Raw files.

Actually, to be precise, once opened inside of Photoshop they are no longer "raw" but are rendered. While the doc windows shows CR2 (in your case), that is only an indicator of where the image came from. They are no longer actually CR2 files. And as they are unsaved, they don't actually have a file format yet. But they are no longer raw...

• 12. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                                alakampo Level 1

All of what you say is true but...

I am opening up the RAW file in ACR.

Then I am clicking OPEN on the bottom right of ACR, not SAVE IMAGE which opens the diaolog box you are reffering to.

When the file opens in Photoshop CS5 proper that is when the file is changing itself to a jpg. I want to do my processing

on the RAW file and then I will export it as a jpg. I don't want to process the JPG....otherwise I wouldn't be shooting RAW

to begin with.

By the way thank you for putting your 2 cents in. From everyone who is trying to help...one way or another my question

will be answered:)

• 13. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                                  alakampo Level 1

Therefore should I not care about what file extension is being assigned to the file?

Do my processing and then export the processed file as a JPG?

I'm again assuming that the changes will stay with the RAW file in an XMP or whatever.

• 14. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                                    Hudechrome Level 2

Well, It should say whatever extension assigned by the camera (nef for Nikon etc) in the title at the top of the image in PS. As Jeff says, it is no longer a RAW file as it has been rendered. When you actually save the file from PS, then you will pick the proper extension desired. So when you ask:" Why are RAW files automatically being converted to JPGs when opened in PS5?", where on the document in PS are you seeing .jpeg? My file says something like NEF****.nef@16.7% (RGB/16) on the top left edge. If you actually see .jpeg, and it had the proper RAW extension in ACR, I would start by resetting preferences in PS, then possibly Bridge.

• 15. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                                      Jeff Schewe Level 5

alakampo wrote:

All of what you say is true but...

I am opening up the RAW file in ACR.

Then I am clicking OPEN on the bottom right of ACR, not SAVE IMAGE which opens the diaolog box you are reffering to.

When the file opens in Photoshop CS5 proper that is when the file is changing itself to a jpg. I want to do my processing

on the RAW file and then I will export it as a jpg. I don't want to process the JPG....otherwise I wouldn't be shooting RAW

to begin with.

If the file extension, once the image is open in Photoshop reads .jpg, that means you've opened a JPEG image with Camera Raw, not a raw file. As indicated above, the file opened into Photoshop comes with the file extension of the original file.

If you opened an .nef, or .CR2, then the file in the Photoshop doc window would read .nef or .CR2 until you save it in a different format. Since you are saying that the extension reads .jpg, than means the file you ran through Camera Raw was not a raw file but a JPEG file. There's no way a raw file could open in Photoshop from Camera Raw with a .jpg extension...

• 16. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                                        Hudechrome Level 2

So a problem in Preferences could not cause that error?

• 17. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                                          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Hudechrome wrote:

I don't see how...Camera Raw is handing the file over to Photoshop with whatever file extension Camera Raw saw...I don't think it's a Photoshop preference issue and I seriously doubt it's a Camera Raw issue. I think the OP simply opened JPEGs in Camera Raw thinking they were raw files since they opened in Camera Raw–which would happen based on how Camera Raw's preferences were set.

• 18. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                                            Hudechrome Level 2

I would tend to agree that somehow, you are loading a jpeg, not a .nef. I don't produce nef+jpeg when I shoot so I don't know how and if that can happen. Certainly, be absolutely certain that no jpegs are included in the output from the camera. If you do have both set, reset only RAW in the  camera menu, shoot a couple of frames and repeat the test.

• 19. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                                              Noel Carboni Level 7

Hudechrome wrote:

No preference I could find will do that.

Alakampo, you have not yet answered some pertinent questions I posed above...  Specifically,

Really basic question, and I apologize that it's so basic, but are you absolutely, positively sure that the files you're clicking on are .NEF files?

I ask because Windows hides file extensions by default, and I've run across folks who have named files things like ABCD.NEF.jpg before. With the default Windows settings those say ABCD.NEF on the screen...

I'm being persistent with this because it's looking more and more like you've really managed somehow to open JPEG files, not raw files.

-Noel

• 20. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                                                Hudechrome Level 2

Nobody reads Post 18!

• 21. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                                                  Hudechrome Level 2

Alakampo, another way of validating this is to open your folder of images in Windows Explorer. It will not show the nefs, (except as icons) but will show the jpegs. If these can be seen, along with the nef icons, you have both.

• 22. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                                                    Noel Carboni Level 7

Hudechrome wrote:

open your folder of images in Windows Explorer. It will not show the nefs, (except as icons) but will show the jpegs

That's a good idea, as long as no 3rd party software (codec) has been installed to make NEF thumbnails available.  Admittedly, that seems unlikely in this case.

If I followed your instructions on my system, for example, on which I've installed the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack, I would see the thumbnails for all of them.

Right-click on one of the files, and choose Properties.  There all will be revealed.  Alakampo, please capture an image of that dialog and post it here, along with screen grabs of the steps you're taking to get to the point where you're seeing what look like .jpg files opened in Photoshop.  Maybe someone will be able to spot something we hadn't considered.

-Noel

• 23. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                                                      Hudechrome Level 2

No he doesn't actually need that codec, because if no codec is installed, and he has jpegs, they will show, along with the generic nef icon, not the images. If no jpegs are available, only the generic icons will show.

Kinda knew you would bring up that software!

• 24. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                                                        Noel Carboni Level 7

I said nothing about needing it.  I was just pointing out that your note made an assumption about what isn't installed on the OP's computer.

-Noel

• 25. Re: Why to auto conversion?
                                                          Hudechrome Level 2

Oh, I know! Just pulling your chain!

For the sake of brevity, I came down on the side of no codec as I suspect there are many more who don't have it as do. But I could be wrong, and often am!