8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2017 5:43 AM by Colin Holgate

large & long flash animation - best working strategy?

noatcher@gmail.com

i'm working on a long flash movie, very heavy, very large. what is the best way to work? should i devide it to separate files?

or use one file with sevral scenes? i want the export to be an swf movie and not AVI nor QT

• 1. Re: large & long flash animation - best working strategy?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

create several swfs that load into a master/main swf.

• 2. Re: large & long flash animation - best working strategy?
            chris georgenes Level 2

It's typically best to break up your animation into smaller chunks. I have worked with teams producing animated content for 1/2 hour (22min) shows for broadcast television and we always broke down every episode into several small chunks. Some scenes were 3 seconds while others were upwardfs of 30 seconds.

That said, if your final output must be SWF format, you might want to consider multiple separate files, export to PNG sequence or Quicktime and then import everything into a video editor (After Effects, Premiere, etc) along with your soundtrack, sound effects, etc. and export to video (MOV, FLV, etc) and then stream that through the Flash Player - possibly using YouTube or Vimeo or upload the FLV and SWF to your own website.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: large & long flash animation - best working strategy?
              noatcher@gmail.com Level 1

first of all, thank's for your help.

second of all...may I bather you a bit more?...

I have tryed working through premier - sending chunks and editing them, but the export from

premier somehow lost it's image quality which is very important to me.

this movie is to be viewed on a computer screen (large i mac) but not on-line. it is for an art exhibition

so it must look really good!! every time I try exporting from premier, it loses its bright colors and looks flat.

the swf files however look wanderfull!! is it not possible to show a 10 minute swf movie?

• 4. Re: large & long flash animation - best working strategy?
                chris georgenes Level 2

I have no problem being bathed

I'm not sure why exporting from Premiere is giving you quality/color problems - it could be based on compression settings and format chosen. I personally prefer to import PNG sequences into After Effects and export a MOV from there. As for viewing full screen, is your Flash stage the same width and height of the display resolution this will be displayed on?

• 5. Re: large & long flash animation - best working strategy?

my stage is a full screen high-res size: 1440/1080

and the swf movie looks great  in a full screen mode.

i guess my question is : way not just do it all in flash?

what are the problems in a long flash movie?

• 6. Re: large & long flash animation - best working strategy?
                    chris georgenes Level 2

Keeping your movie in 1 single FLA can pose stability problems if you have a lot of gr

aphics and assets (bitmaps, sound files, etc...). The larger the FLA, the more likely it could crash. I have successfully authored 4minute timelines but never a 10 minute timeline. Typically, after about 2-3 minutes of animation using vector assets and a single soundtrack file, Flash starts to drag a bit. Opening the file, saving, scrolling the timelines and mving around the stage all start to feel less responsive - even on my really fast Mac.

At least think about working in smaller chunks of say, 5, 2 minute long FLA files. Then load each SWF into a parent SWF as Kglad mentioned or, if it all needs to be a single SWF, then copy and paste frames into different scenes of a "master" FLA and hope for the best. Your hardware (processor, RAM, video card, etc) may make the difference in performance while in the authoring environment. I just can't predict what is best for your needs without knowing your system specs.

It's not impossible to have such a long timeline - just remember, Flash has a 16,000 frame limit also.

• 7. Re: large & long flash animation - best working strategy?

thank you for your respons.

I know what you mean with the stabilaty problams...yup...not fun....

so what you are sugesting, in oreder to keep it in a swf format, is to make

a number of smaller flash files, export them into a number of swf movies

and then what? how do i merge them into one movie without an editing program?

• 8. Re: large & long flash animation - best working strategy?
                        Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There are ways around the 16000 limit, but that require a small amount of code.

Something I only learned today is that "best" stage quality no longer works. Instead there are two higher levels of quality, even better than best. Adding this to frame 1 of the timeline can improve the final exported video quite a bit:

stage.quality = "16x16";

If you do end up with several  video files you would bring them all into Premiere or After Effects, put them end to end, then render the final movie. I still have QuickTime Player 7 Pro, so I do the same thing there. There may be other video combining options, I'm not sure.

1 person found this helpful