6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2011 6:55 PM by pixlor

Text blended into background

JimVag1947 Level 1

I have written a text segment in fireworks wich later i imported in fieworks where i applied the puppet wrap effect.

Latern upon placing the text in a blue bacgkround in the site what appeared also, were white pixels, pixels from the letters of the text which orrange-yellow color.

I am truing to fix the issue by using the smudge tool of fireworks so that i blend the blue color of the background with the orange-yellow of the text.

Do you believe this the best solution to the problem?

Is there any better alternative?

Should i import the text in Photoshop and do there this job?logoadjustment.png

What do you think?

I am uploading the image so that you can see yourself.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Text blended into background
          Linda Nicholls Level 4

Recreate the whole thing in Fireworks. There's nothing there you need photoshop for.

• 2. Re: Text blended into background
            pixlor Level 4

It looks like what you want is a transparent logo that will set on top of your Web page background. Is this correct?

It sounds like you might have used a white canvas in Fireworks. In this case, your text is anti-aliased to white and you get a white "halo."  There are two approaches you can use to avoid this.

1) Instead of a white canvas in Fireworks, select a blue out of your Web background image (one of the darker ones would be best). The intermediate colors for the anti-aliasing will be a blue halo (instead of white), and they won't be noticable against your background. When you export, choose either transparent GIF or PNG8 and select your canvas color to be the transparent color.

2) Use a transparent canvas in Fireworks and export your logo as a PNG8 with alpha transparency. See this article on SitePoint for more info:

http://blogs.sitepoint.com/png8-the-clear-winner/

• 3. Re: Text blended into background
              JimVag1947 Level 1

Thanks for the advice.

Your advice though(i think), requires from me to redraw the text.

Instead, i did not redraw the text, i used the smudge tool to blend the pixels of the background with the pixels of the image.

Before using the smudge tool i DID create a blue background.

Maybe the result might not be perfect in comparison with the method you propose,nevertheless, under the circumstances the outcome was satisfactory.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Text blended into background
                pixlor Level 4

Your advice though(i think), requires from me to redraw the text.

I don't think so. If you have your text in a Fireworks document (and not just an exported bitmap), then just open that file and go to

Modify>Canvas>Canvas

color to make the change to transparent or blue.

This is what makes Fireworks so nice to work with: you can make modifications to your original document, and then export what you need. Objects are independent of one another and the pixels aren't blended together permanently until you choose an image format and export. I am not sure why you made your text in one file, imported it into FW for additional work, and then created your final image. As long as you're working in Fireworks, just keep that as a working document and only export the final version. (Use Save to save a Fireworks editable PNG document, use Export to export a flattened bitmap image for the Web.)

If you still have a white halo around your text, possibly you have set a white matte color for export. See post #15 by Jim Babbage in this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/837982?tstart=0 The matte color can be set in the Image Preview dialog, which you can get to from the

File>Image Preview...

or when you use the Export Wizard through

File>Export Wizard...

Maybe the result might not be perfect in comparison with the method you propose,nevertheless, under the circumstances the outcome was satisfactory.

Nothing is perfect. The main thing is that you have a result you are satisfied with. But you asked if there were any other approaches, other than blending pixels, and that's the question I answered.

• 5. Re: Text blended into background
                  JimVag1947 Level 1

You were right all along.

I was doing a wrong thing, after "painting" the canvas in the color of the backgound from the site i was using the "save as" procedure to achieve what i wanted.

The correct path was to use the export feature-as you suggested from the beginning.

What i cannot indestand though is what is the difference between index & alpha transparency.

Both GIF & PNG offered these options.

I read the user guide but it was not made clear to me.

Thanks in advance.

• 6. Re: Text blended into background
                    pixlor Level 4

I think I can explain the difference between index and alpha for you.

Index: The GIF and PNG8 formats use a limited 256-color palette. The software you use makes a list of the colors, in some order, doesn't really matter. Color #1 might be red, color #2 might be a red-orange, color #3 might be blue, and so on. Colors in the palette are then referenced by this number, the index. When you choose a color to be transparent, then you select the color number - the index - which will then become invisible/transparent.

Alpha: A number of image formats support alpha transparency. Along with 256 levels of red, green, and blue, for each pixel value, you can specify a transparency (alpha channel) value, also 256 levels. (This is what gives you a 32-bit color image. It takes 8 bits to count to 256, and 8 bits each for R, G, B, and alpha are 32 total.) When you set your image to use alpha transparency, the exported image produces transparency based on where you don't have any color information, or where an object may be semi-transparent.

Hope that makes sense!