10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2007 2:24 AM by J_O_R_I_S

Embedded fonts problem

ttakis
      Hi all,
      I have embedded 10 fonts in the movie. When I run the EXE, most of the time it works and all 10 fonts are displayed correctly. But sometimes one or more of the fonts are missing and get replaced with default.
      It seems very random and sporadic, if the fonts will work or not.
      I am using windows XP with Director MX 2004
      I am testing it on a completely clean windows XP machine.

When I look in the temp folder whilst running the exe, I see 10 .FOT files written in there when it works perfectly. But sometimes, when some 1 font is missing, there are only 9 .FOT files in there and if 2 are missing there are 8 .FOT files etc.

It seems to write some of the fonts some of the time, but not ALL of the fonts ALL of the time.

Any suggestions?
      Its getting towards the end of the project and I can't find a solution to the problem.
      Any help appreciated.
      Takis
        • 1. Re: Embedded fonts problem
          Level 7
          I believe that this is happening when the system thinks the font is till
          installed, therefore it won't allow a second font with the same name to be
          installed.
          You can try:
          1. *enable 'single instance only' from the publish settings>projector*
          2. let some time (seconds) pass before relaunching.
          3. make sure that you don't have director, (or other app that uses
          references to the embeded fonts) running while testing.
          4. make sure that you don't have the original fonts installed on the test
          machine (as your users won't). This shouldn't be the cause, but wouldn't
          hurt trying.

"ttakis" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:f45q90$7sv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi all,
          > I have embedded 10 fonts in the movie. When I run the EXE, most of the
          > time it
          > works and all 10 fonts are displayed correctly. But sometimes one or more
          > of
          > the fonts are missing and get replaced with default.
          > It seems very random and sporadic, if the fonts will work or not.
          > I am using windows XP with Director MX 2004
          > I am testing it on a completely clean windows XP machine.
          >
          > When I look in the temp folder whilst running the exe, I see 10 .FOT files
          > written in there when it works perfectly. But sometimes, when some 1 font
          > is
          > missing, there are only 9 .FOT files in there and if 2 are missing there
          > are 8
          > .FOT files etc.
          >
          >
          > It seems to write some of the fonts some of the time, but not ALL of the
          > fonts
          > ALL of the time.
          >
          > Any suggestions?
          > Its getting towards the end of the project and I can't find a solution to
          > the
          > problem.
          > Any help appreciated.
          > Takis
          >
          >

• 2. Re: Embedded fonts problem
            ttakis Level 1
            Thanks for the reply,
            I've tried all of your suggestions but without any result. I get exactly the same mysterious error...
            Are there any other work arounds?
            Thanks in advance,
            Takis
            • 3. Re: Embedded fonts problem
              Level 7
              > Are there any other work arounds?
              Well, one (solution, not workaround), but it's not finished yet.

> Takis
              I take it you are Greek?

news:f464m0$jhv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thanks for the reply,
              > I've tried all of your suggestions but without any result. I get exactly
              > the same mysterious error...
              > Are there any other work arounds?
              > Thanks in advance,
              > Takis

• 4. Re: Embedded fonts problem
                ttakis Level 1
                Yes i'm greek. I 've found a solution after hours of work...
                I saw that only somes of the fonts had problem...i've tried to import them and test them and i conclused that there are some familys of fonts that had problem...An example is that i got problem when i embed: UB-Helvetica * , UB-Helvetica Bold *, UB-Helvetica Italic *. In some cases director thinks that if you have embeded UB-Helvetica * it's the same with UB-Helvetica Bold *, and it doesn't create the second *.fot file so the font doesn't work...in some other cases (unspecified) in the same pc it creates all the .fot files and everything works fine...
                After some replacements of some fonts i've tried to solve the problem.
                Thanks for the help and waiting for the final solution.
                Best regards from Greece,
                Takis
                • 5. Re: Embedded fonts problem
                  Level 7
                  > Thanks for the help and waiting for the final solution.
                  It will be posted here, soon as it's available.

> Best regards from Greece,
                  Accepted, but don't think they'll travel a long way.. Unless you live far
                  from Athens that is.

(Harris)

news:f48glv$ojm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Yes i'm greek. I 've found a solution after hours of work...
                  > I saw that only somes of the fonts had problem...i've tried to import them
                  > and
                  > test them and i conclused that there are some familys of fonts that had
                  > problem...An example is that i got problem when i embed: UB-Helvetica * ,
                  > UB-Helvetica Bold *, UB-Helvetica Italic *. In some cases director thinks
                  > that
                  > if you have embeded UB-Helvetica * it's the same with UB-Helvetica Bold
                  > *, and
                  > it doesn't create the second *.fot file so the font doesn't work...in some
                  > other cases (unspecified) in the same pc it creates all the .fot files and
                  > everything works fine...
                  > After some replacements of some fonts i've tried to solve the problem.
                  > Thanks for the help and waiting for the final solution.
                  > Best regards from Greece,
                  > Takis

• 6. Re: Embedded fonts problem
                    We have been having the same problem for at least two years, but it was only on a certain type of computer. Now it has shown up on four different computers. Verious brands ages and configurations.

Please post any findings as soon as possible. We are trying some things now. We'll post it if we find a work around.

Thanks..........biff
                    • 7. Re: Embedded fonts problem
                      We may have finally found the solution. There are two ways to load fonts in Director; either as “families” or as individual fonts. We have been loading them as “families” because it is easier, but apparently that has been the source of the problem. When we removed the families and use only individual fonts, specific to our project, the font-switching problem seems to have gone away.

We only discovered this on Thursday 7/05/07, so we haven’t had a chance to change a lot of our projects or test it on multiple computers, but our initial tests look very promising.

………..biff
                      • 8. Re: Embedded fonts problem
                        JeffDJ
                        I did some tests using single fonts instead of font family. Unfortunately, this problem still occurs. One thing that seems consistent is that within one director movie, the font that breaks stay broken during the time that movie plays, and the fonts that are not broken stays unbroken - until the movie quits or go to another director movie. I never seen this problem on Mac/Apple, though.
                        • 9. Re: Embedded fonts problem
                          Reijo_Jalava
                          We are also having exactly the same problem: the projector has three embedded fonts that all have the same prefix, similar to what ttakis described. Have you guys found a working solution so far?
                          • 10. Re: Embedded fonts problem
                            J_O_R_I_S
                            Seen this happening too...
                            I keep my fingers crossed for Director 11, because I never found or heard of a solution, and I never was able to reproduce it reliably.